Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

So for yourself all conspiracy theories are just makey uppy for fun?

If that's the case why then should people not dismiss them as makey uppy?

The tactic around here is to on one hand pretend that conspiracy theories are deadly serious. Just a few threads down we have a fellow claiming that conspiracy theorists are the only ones doing investigative journalism.

Then on the other we have your tactic of claiming its all for fun and just fiction writing. "It's just a joke, why are you getting mad?"

The latter argument only seems to come out when conspiracy theories are confronted with reality.

I think that's what's happening here now we're half way through June and monkeypox hasn't become as big a think as conspiracy theorists were banking on.

I suspect come the end of June you're going to be doing a lot of weaseling and claiming "I never said I was serious..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

You seem to be the same poster as a number of the other posters as the trend seems to be the same in that you love to create a whole persona around a CT poster rather than actually engaging with the posts.

I have only just posted in this forum a few weeks ago but seem like I have lived in your and other posters heads long before that. It seems the pattern is to make posts black and white as maybe that's easier for you to process for whatever reason?

I think we crossed wires there on Monkeypox so I won't double post the link. Just to flag that the WHO has convened an emergency meeting on monkey pox for next week. At this stage, wouldn't you agree that monkeypox is not something that all of society needs to be made aware of and it should never require restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

If reporting/moderation worked in this forum then there would be actual interesting things to read and discuss (like on other sites such as reddit where trolling is forbidden)

It's more or less a free for all spam fest - many of whom (such as those in the conspiracy-hating, circle-jerk gang) scurry over here because they either get banned too easily in the conventional threads and/or have proven themselves incapable of reasoned and mature debate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

That's the impression I got from the last few weeks. It's impossible to find the moderators on the mobile version of boards as well but I have read the charter in detail and could condense this thread in particular significantly by just deleting so many of the echo chamber posts that don't seem to be very involved in actually discussing what is posted, instead chatting with the demons in their head. One post a few pages back even asked for someone to state their scientific credentials! Seriously!

The concept of a CT is why this forum exists, otherwise the theories would be in AH/CA as actual news stories. I wouldn't even try to entertain the topic of this thread in the COVID forum for example as anything posted here is, by definition, lacking hard facts. Maybe the forum should come with a trigger warning for those that get easily worked up!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

No the WHO don't consider it to be on the same level Covid. However as a global health organisation they are obliged to convene a meeting to discuss it and treat it seriously as the pathogen is a priority one. Nothing much will come from this meeting.

• Advertisement

The poster you are replying to believes all space travel is fake, attacks any posters who question them on this and labels them as "trolls" or "shills". They have repeated tried to get an echo chamber where their views can't be challenged.

Back to subject, if there a conspiracy occurring? If yes, what is it?

If no, what's to discuss?

Lol

"You seem to be pigeon holing people"

And in the same post:

"You're exactly like the other posters here."

Touch of a contradiction there.

You avoid the point however. You might just see conspiracy theories as just fun fictional writing that no one actually believes and are just making up for fun.

However that's not what the majority of conspiracy theorists claim they believe the majority of the time. Markus there is a perfect example of this as he genuinely believes that all space flight is fake and is possibly a flat earther. He was also part of a cadre of conspiracy theorists trying to make it impossible to question conspiracy theories on this forum because they are sacred deeply held beliefs akin to religion.

So which do you think they are?

Fun makey uppy or the real truth?

If it's the former, then why are you so put out when people treat poorly thought out fiction as poorly thought out fiction?

As for your questions. They're a little silly. And they seem to be asking for the blackness and whiteness you were decrying earlier.

I don't see why the public shouldn't be made aware of monkeypox. It would be a bizarre thing to believe they should cover up.

Nor can I say that it would never require restrictions of any sort.

Viruses can change. Circumstances can change. This is something conspiracy theorists repeatedly refuse to understand.

The monkeypox virus might mutate and begin to spread faster.

However as the WHO state, this isn't the case so far and there isn't need to put in place any restrictions like seen with covid.

Your theory was that they would be ramping it up falsely by now and starting to call for widespread restrictions.

This hasn't happened and doesn't look likely to happen inside the next 2 weeks.

Are you going to still stand by your challenge?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

funnily enough, it's usually the CT's that usually take offence when given something logical to discuss on a subject.... as if the CT forum is some sort of sacrosanct echo chamber of garbage which is just meant to be tolerated, or CT's get butthurt about being challenged....

Page 378.... still waiting to see those COVID measures which are permanent (but the Monkeypox..... you still have to wear a mask in a Mosque in southern Uganda, blah blah blah)

Imagine being so far removed from reality that you started over-reacting (reporting posts) to others you felt were over-reacting (being serious).

Does the term irony mean anything to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Power of MSM Fearmongering.

• Advertisement

But buzzer, you keep parroting things from twitter that are telling you that vaccines are super deadly and that theres some sort of evil sinister conspriacy taking over the world and plans to kill billions of people.

How is that not fearmongering?

Ignores a pandemic which killed over 6 million people in 2 years, fearmongers about vaccines that have saved countless lives.

The brainwashing power of conspiracy fearmongering. Click on this link, watch this hysterical video, buy these supplements, listen to people like Alex Jones (who've made millions), ignore doctors and experts. Keep drinking the conspiracy koolaid, keep spreading the "word"..

• Subscribers Posts: 41,580 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the result of taking up the proverbial by anti vaxx grifters...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

A tad late replying here I know but I'd like to suggest that the template I suggested not be used.

The reason being that whilst it was a fair and equitable system that was proposed the majority of forum users made it abundantly clear that a fair and equitable system was not something they had any interest in pursuing.

Why did they not want a fair and equitable system? You would have to ask them, however it is interesting that the charter for this forum places Graham's hierarchy of disagreement in a prominent position as a guideline to be followed.

Why is this relevant? Because a large number of threads feature replies that belong on the lower end of that hierarchy, name calling and ad hominem arguments.

My contention would be that as this type of "discussion" is commonplace here, and those engaging in it have no intention of utilizing a template that would resolve a lot the issues that lead to the name calling and ad hominems, that those people rather enjoy being able to engage in that behavior.

In the end, if you post some off the wall theory and can't back it up you should expect to have your argument refuted, what you shouldn't have to put up with is abuse.

Ultimately anyone posting here should be aware of the lay of the land and should not be surprised by what goes on here, perhaps some posters have a masochistic streak, I can't think of any other reasons for anyone wanting to engage here.

This forum is a safe space for abusive rhetoric carried out by people who purport to see their adversaries as potentially mentally ill or incapable of forming what they feel are reasonable opinions, yet they feel justified in the behavior they engage in.

Refuting the central point is not the end game here, it's a green light for sliding down the pyramid of Graham's hierarchy of disagreement and wallowing in the fun a games of name calling and ad hominem. If you see fit to give these people what they want maybe you deserve the result you get. The solution is to leave them be, maybe it's time to do that.

Glazers Out!

'Trust the Science' is a euphemism for 'Trust the System.'

• Subscribers Posts: 41,580 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

"Do you own research" is something you fail miserably at all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

If we’re not to trust science and the scientific process then what should we trust in your opinion?

I sympathises with your family having to deal with your nonsense...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

°°°°°

A prime example of the type of ad hominem replies that are commonplace on this forum.

It would be more becoming of someone engaging in such behavior to do a cursory spell check before they post their abuse I would have thought.

Glazers Out!

The poster only a few weeks ago started sharing photos of Irish people who died saying that their death was caused by vaccines.... You seem to be prone to ignoring the atrocious behaviour of the conspiracy theory side.

°°°°°

If somebody is posting things like that report it.

Are you suggesting that your behavior is validated by some people on the "other side" behaving poorly?

Scratch that, I've encountered you on other forums so the answer is self evident.

It would appear to me that you've found your level here, enjoy your unbridled ability to abuse people.

Glazers Out!

Sure thing null and you'll find I happily engage in debate across the fora including this one.

°°°°°

Making condescending remarks about people's families is difficult to classify as engaging in debate I'm sure you'll concede PM.

Or are you stating that such behavior is acceptable in your eyes? From experience elsewhere on the site of you I may be forgiven for believing this to be the case.

Glazers Out!

Don't be a vegetable. I sympathises with your family especially children taking more unnecessary synthetic untested intravenous concoctions

But all you're doing is copy and pasting fearnongering from Twitter that you don't question or research. You are then pretending to be an expert who's somehow cracked a giant conspiracy based on what you're swallowing from Twitter.

Do you share these thoughts with people in real life? Do they react the same way as other conspiracy theorists on this forum and just ignore you?

Null, maybe read the thread before butting in to defend someone.

Remember the last time you did this and ended up defending a holocaust denier?

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

My name was called out in relation to the suggestion I made to reform the forum.

I'm not interested in the thread topic, I merely replied as I was called out.

Thanks for persisting with the ad hominems however.

We clarified previously that I told the holocaust denier that I did not agree with them when they clarified their beliefs in the thread in question two years ago.

We clarified this on the feedback thread where you railed against the template I proposed when you used that anecdote in an attempt to discredit me and the proposed template.

To the wider audience. I understand that it's not nice when you have Carte Blanche to punch down and be abusive to people you don't like and then somebody comes along and offers you a template for posting on the forum that would eliminate all the issues you constantly complain are impinging discussion but would by association mean that your opportunities for sliding down the pyramid of the hierarchy of disagreement and really getting stuck into some good old fashioned name calling and ad hominems would dry up.

You were given a template to improve the forum, you didn't want it. You enjoy the status quo, around here, you do as you please and anyone who even suggests that any sort of reform might be beneficial should automatically have their character called into question.

In the end this forum is pathetic. Poorly reasoned thread topics pulled apart by the resident skeptics who only reply because openly abusing posters is tolerated here. Anywhere else on this site the behavior here would result in lengthy bans and rightly so.

At least you're consistent I suppose.

* the term "you" is intended in the collective sense and not aimed solely at King Mob beyond the paragraph beginning with "To the wider audience".

Glazers Out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement