Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Out of a population of circa 5 million then you must be the least susceptible person in the world, assuming you ar in Ireland.

Obviously I'm not in Ireland if I'm in the region of 35 millionth on the vaccine list :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Obviously I'm not in Ireland if I'm in the region of 35 millionth on the vaccine list :rolleyes:

No need to be snotty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

CCP24 wrote: »
    We were told this is nothing like the flu for months now we are told to treat the flu differently as its not covid[/url]

So we will just stop reading here, as this is just the usual irrelevant nonsense.

Take note folks, a common tactic - post something, infer incorrectly, go off on mental tangent.

E.g you guys lied and said covid is serious, that must mean the flu isnt serious. No one is in hospital.

Just random, nonsensical, unconnected crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭CCP24

So we will just stop reading here, as this is just the usual irrelevant nonsense.

Take note folks, a common tactic - post something, infer incorrectly, go off on mental tangent.

E.g you guys lied and said covid is serious, that must mean the flu isnt serious. No one is in hospital.

Just random, nonsensical, unconnected crap.

I am in the wrong job so , I should of been a politician or CMO because no matter how much ****e they spout no body questions them and they get a mighty wage for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I am in the wrong job so , I should of been a politician or CMO because no matter how much ****e they spout no body questions them and they get a mighty wage for it.

Politicians get questioned and scrutinized all the time.

Conspiracy theorists and fringe thinkers like to cast doubt on things they either don't understand or don't believe. Sorry to say this but that's not skepticism, it's ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

You really haven't a clue. I wouldn't do their job for any amount of money. Do you actually believe it is easy to make the decision they are making in relation to covid? Are they all part of the conspiracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

You do realise politicians get elected in right? If you don't like the person... Don't vote for them

Do you lot work for the government talk about defensive. yeesh , so when is the Irish government & NPHET going to have a grown up conversation about Covid with actual experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Do you lot work for the government talk about defensive. yeesh , so when is the Irish government & NPHET going to have a grown up conversation about Covid with actual experts.
    They have been consulting with experts.

What experts should they be consulting with?
    Ones that deny covid exists or ones that deny vaccines work?
    Maybe ones that thing the vaccine will mutate people's DNA?

It's a bit ironic that you're talking about a grown up conversation.
    Please name some experts you have in mind. Are you only interested in hearing from experts that suit your own views? Or maybe you see yourself as an expert?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

aido79 wrote: »
    It's a bit ironic that you're talking about a grown up conversation.
    Please name some experts you have in mind. Are you only interested in hearing from experts that suit your own views? Or maybe you see yourself as an expert?

Sam McConkey (the Irish Neil Ferguson) and his projection for there to be 80-120k covid deaths in Ireland certainly would not be one of them. This projection was was why we were locked down in March but we are now nearly a year on and only 2.2k deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

GT89 wrote: »
    Sam McConkey (the Irish Neil Ferguson) and his projection for there to be 80-120k covid deaths in Ireland certainly would not be one of them. This projection was was why we were locked down in March but we are now nearly a year on and only 2.2k deaths.

Well no we locked down to protect the icus... But sure you know this..

EyesClosed wrote: »
    Well no we locked down to protect the icus... But sure you know this..

Interesting , and why did we not lock down for the ICUs in 2017/18

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/influenza/seasonalinfluenza/surveillance/influenzasurveillancereports/previousinfluenzaseasonssurveillancereports/20172018season/Influenza%20201
    I could post previous years if you like. So why is 2020 an important year for lockdowns. Spare me the we had vaccines line because clearly they werent helping if the ICUs were critical.

GT89 wrote: »

Are you actually serious? You do realise this projection was if we did absolutely nothing and carried on with life as normal and ignored covid.
    Sometimes I think the government has done too good of a job and people like yourself should have been shown what could have happened if the numbers were allowed to escalate as they may well have done.
    Are you only concerned about deaths from covid? Maybe look at the bigger picture and see that each covid case that needs to be treated in hospital even if they don't die means there is one less bed available for another patient with another illness who needs hospital treatment.

King Mob wrote: »
    They have been consulting with experts.

What experts should they be consulting with?
    Ones that deny covid exists or ones that deny vaccines work?
    Maybe ones that thing the vaccine will mutate people's DNA?

Name the experts they have been consulting with ? What were there predictions and advice.

You really haven't a clue. I wouldn't do their job for any amount of money. Do you actually believe it is easy to make the decision they are making in relation to covid? Are they all part of the conspiracy?

What do you know of a politicians job , are you one ?, have you had to make tough decisions like them? please do share? What conspiracy are you on about?

Since when has a politician made a decision of his/her own volition?

Politicians pander to private interests. They have advisors who do the advising and then the stuffed suit acts upon that after weighing up who will be pissed off more, Joe Public or the money men.

The ones who actually do act in the public interest (and they are a rare breed) are generally labelled as cranks, commies, lunatics, terrorist-sympathisers, anti-semites and a whole slew of other monikers.

Boris Johnson had all the time in the world to act upon sound advice but took it upon himself to make the very easy decision of ignoring others because he "knows best".

"We're BRITISH, and I'm an Etonian. Listen to some brown-skinned quack or follow the example of slant-eyed Orientals? Poppy-cock, I say"

If you are of the bent that politicians lie awake at night conflicted over the decisions that they must make for the common good and for the electorate they are sworn to serve then you are the one who is utterly clueless.

Since when has a politician made a decision of his/her own volition?

Politicians pander to private interests. They have advisors who do the advising and then the stuffed suit acts upon that after weighing up who will be pissed off more, Joe Public or the money men.

The ones who actually do act in the public interest (and they are a rare breed) are generally labelled as cranks, commies, lunatics, terrorist-sympathisers, anti-semites and a whole slew of other monikers.

Boris Johnson had all the time in the world to act upon sound advice but took it upon himself to make the very easy decision of ignoring others because he "knows best".

"We're BRITISH, and I'm an Etonian. Listen to some brown-skinned quack or follow the example of slant-eyed Orientals? Poppy-cock, I say"

If you are of the bent that politicians lie awake at night conflicted over the decisions that they must make for the common good and for the electorate they are sworn to serve then you are the one who is utterly clueless.

That is one hell of an oversized paint brush you just used there.

What private interests do you think are part of the conspiracy to make all covid measures permanent?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Interesting , and why did we not lock down for the ICUs in 2017/18

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/influenza/seasonalinfluenza/surveillance/influenzasurveillancereports/previousinfluenzaseasonssurveillancereports/20172018season/Influenza%20201
    I could post previous years if you like. So why is 2020 an important year for lockdowns. Spare me the we had vaccines line because clearly they werent helping if the ICUs were critical.

We didn't need to lockdown then obviously.

Again, questionable statement, incorrect inference, silly theory.

We don't lock down for the flu, this is the exact same scenario, covid is all a scam.

Do you have any idea how unhinged this sounds?

That is one hell of an oversized paint brush you just used there.

What private interests do you think are part of the conspiracy to make all covid measures permanent?

Mainy Peoples trust and poor mental health from all the lockdowns , health complications not being diagnosed on time, suicides and we are all going to suffer unemployment may not be permanant, basically we are guarented to be paying back a huge debt financially or health wise.

• Advertisement

We don't lock down for the flu, this is the exact same scenario, covid is all a scam.

Explain my asking of why we never shut shop and locked ourselves in our homes?

Why didn't we care about our ICUs in 2017/18 , the year 2020/21 why have we become so much more caring now?

Unhinged yikes , so I simply cant ask a question , Im either a CT or unhinged ...

Mainy Peoples trust and poor mental health from all the lockdowns , health complications not being diagnosed on time, suicides and we are all going to suffer unemployment may not be permanant, basically we are guarented to be paying back a huge debt financially or health wise.

If the hospitals are full no one can get any help. It's an unthinkable scenario. We can borrow money, but we can't replace dead people when the national health system is overrun. Countries don't want to have lockdowns, but must to avoid such a scenario.

How many times does this concept have to be explained? I am sorry, but ignorance is not a valid argument against anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

Explain my asking of why we never shut shop and locked ourselves in our homes?

Why didn't we care about our ICUs in 2017/18 , the year 2020/21 why have we become so much more caring now?

Unhinged yikes , so I simply cant ask a question , Im either a CT or unhinged ...

because the ICU's are going to go past the 2017/18 critical numbers even with counter measures in place.... measures were taken in 2017/18 which didn't include the public, wards were closed operations cancelled, appointments cancelled, more so a HSE response

and before you jump on the "well that's proof lockdown isn't working", it's in fact quite the opposite, which is quite grim

I'm not really sure what that's got to do with what I asked to be honest.

So are you saying that the covid restrictions aren't going to be permanent? Do you believe that the pubs will never open again? Do you believe we will be asked to socially distance for the rest of our lives? What exactly do you believe?
    I'm well aware that there has been some very serious knock on effects from the lockdowns. My own mental health has taken a hit but this doesn't mean I blame the Irish government, the Chinese, Nphet or anyone else. I have faith that science will find a way to get over this as it has done with any outbreak of any infectious disease in the past

We obviously did need to lockdown if we go by the covid stats to date and compare them to that year. https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/influenza/seasonalinfluenza/surveillance/influenzasurveillancereports/previousinfluenzaseasonssurveillancereports/20172018season/Influenza%20201

As you can see in the report our ICUs were critical and our hospitals were overcrowded?

Are you trying to imply that I said covid is a scam , as its obviously not coronaviruses have been around for centuries.

EyesClosed wrote: »
    You do realise politicians get elected in right? If you don't like the person... Don't vote for them

And you do realise that once "elected" these politicians routinely break whatever vague promises they have made in order to convince a public to give them, albeit, tacit approval.

Once in office their job is safe, save for scandal or witch-hunt.

It's very easy to blithely say "don't vote for someone if you don't like them" and then assume that they can just be removed from office at the wave of a Hector Grey magic wand.

There are two countries in the world where a sitting leader can be recalled at any time, Iceland and Venezuela (imagine!....that cesspit of un-democracy).

As for the rest....perhaps I have gone on a tangent... serve moneyed interests first and foremost.

And you do realise that once "elected" these politicians routinely break whatever vague promises they have made in order to convince a public to give them, albeit, tacit approval.

Once in office their job is safe, save for scandal or witch-hunt.

It's very easy to blithely say "don't vote for someone if you don't like them" and then assume that they can just be removed from office at the wave of a Hector Grey magic wand.

There are two countries in the world where a sitting leader can be recalled at any time, Iceland and Venezuela (imagine!....that cesspit of un-democracy).

As for the rest...perhaps I have gone on a tangent... serve moneyed interests first and foremost.

You hate politicians, we get it. What is the conspiracy here?

Are you actually serious? You do realise this projection was if we did absolutely nothing and carried on with life as normal and ignored covid.
    Sometimes I think the government has done too good of a job and people like yourself should have been shown what could have happened if the numbers were allowed to escalate as they may well have done.
    Are you only concerned about deaths from covid? Maybe look at the bigger picture and see that each covid case that needs to be treated in hospital even if they don't die means there is one less bed available for another patient with another illness who needs hospital treatment.

Really?

Like "if we don't invade Iraq then Saddam can have his WMD's raining down nerve gas on us in no more than 45 minutes." ?

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    If the hospitals are full no one can get any help. It's an unthinkable scenario. We can borrow money, but we can't replace dead people when the national health system is overrun. Countries don't want to have lockdowns, but must to avoid such a scenario.

How many times does this concept have to be explained? I am sorry, but ignorance is not a valid argument against anything.

I honestly know this , my ignorance really? So now Im a CT, unhinged and ignorant now too. Cool.

Countries do not want lockdowns no **** sherlock, I& many others in this country can vouch for that.
    I didnt ask for that "concept" you are pointing out to be explained , and anyhow why haven't the health ministers ever sorted out our hospitals since every year we are overrun. Wonder will they sort it out after this pandemic , seeing as we are told there will be more pandemics to come? Do you think they will sort out our overcrowding in hospitals and if they do what changes do you think they will put in place? Do you think they will privatize our hospitals?

Regarding the original question asked, https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/influenza/seasonalinfluenza/surveillance/influenzasurveillancereports/previousinfluenzaseasonssurveillancereports/20172018season/Influenza%20201

Why did'nt we lock down in 2017/18 when clearly ICUs were critical , and hospitals were overcrowded? Why are we only having lockdowns in 2020/21 and nobody cared back then? and they weren't called ignorant for not bothering? Did we not care enough for our fellow citizens ? Why were we not taking measures to wear masks and social distance and lock ourselves in our homes.

Why are people more ignorant and selfish in 2020/21 , if they don't isolate etc and they were nice ,decent humans previous years without masks and social distancing?
    Now we are locked into isolation, wearing masks , social distancing and believing everyone is carrying germs will kill you if they breathe near you? Do you think adults and children will forget this easily and go back to living like normal once the government tells us to?

• Advertisement

Really?

Like "if we don't invade Iraq then Saddam can have his WMD's raining down nerve gas on us in no more than 45 minutes." ?

So you don't believe there was any chance that the health service could have become overwhelmed? How optimistic are you that the health service will be able to cope in the next few months?
    If you reply I will bookmark your post and we'll come back to this if a situation arises where there are problems with hospital admissions in the near future.

Do you honestly believe the covid restrictions will be permanent?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement