Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Top 50 Strava Segments in Dublin and Wicklow

Options
  • 10-09-2020 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Here is a site containing the top 50 strava segments in Dublin / Wicklow:
    crayola (.com) ........ I cant seem to post URLs cause im new but im new but im sure someone else can post the link url

To get the competitive juices flowing it has a leaderboard of leaderboards which takes the top 10 results from those segments....

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

uhm... maybe it's my vintage, but the word 'crayon maker' had a certain meaning when i was growing up...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 elMountain

Different than the meaning the site has in its about section?

"The segments part is because the entire site is based around Strava Segments. Crayon makers obviously comes from the ability of those that post a Top 10 time on those segments to make crayons and time to do it so fast."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes, different to that. it was not intended as a compliment.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

elMountain wrote: »
    Here is a site containing the top 50 strava segments in Dublin / Wicklow:
    crayola (.com) ........ I cant seem to post URLs cause im new but im new but im sure someone else can post the link url

To get the competitive juices flowing it has a leaderboard of leaderboards which takes the top 10 results from those segments....
    Is this your site? I assume so given that the domain name is newly registered (04.09.2020).
    Anyhow, i don't get the imagery on the homepage. Someone going on their ear and a picture of a bike on a syringe. WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Crayon makers! I get jokes!
    A variation of the StravaW@nkers theme I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 elMountain

Not my site. I was sent link to it and I seen/saw a discussion in here on hard climbs which I was gonna post on but cant find now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Doc07

uhm... maybe it's my vintage, but the word 'Crayon maker' had a certain meaning when i was growing up...

Oohh Matron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

yes, different to that. it was not intended as a compliment.

100% not complimentary and not at all PC. On a (very tenuously) related note - I seen someone call someone a knob jockey (maybe reddit, but could have been here) - first time I have heard that since about '97..!

But I digress.. back to the segments..

This doesn't read right at all:
    'Because it has the highest ratio of Crayon makers to segments in the country.'
    'A curated list of the most important segments in the Ireland and the Crayon makers who ride them!'

(based on the bold, I'm guessing English isn't the first language therefore the whole Crayon maker part would be completely unknown??)

Good site tho - but I don't think I could ever take it seriously!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Jesus what a puerile load of shyte of a site. 'Crayon makers'?
    Please :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

King of the Crayon makers.

Hilarious!!

• Advertisement

eeeee wrote: »
    Jesus what a puerile load of shyte of a site. 'Crayon makers'?
    Please :rolleyes:
    it's weird. if it's a joke, it's a lot of work for a *very* weak joke; and if it's not a joke, that's even weirder that someone didn't point it out to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

......the top 50 strava segments in Dublin / Wicklow:......

Mamore Gap :D

it's weird. if it's a joke, it's a lot of work for a *very* weak joke; and if it's not a joke, that's even weirder that someone didn't point it out to them.

Pretty sure it's someone who has English as a second language and used the term innocently. Built and released the site quick enough and no one has seen it.

Unfortunately it's turned into something hilariously different..

Or it's one big piss take.. who knows!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I think it was designed knowing exactly what it meant, and is trying to be 'cheeky' but instead is just the tiresome, puerile, immature shyte from people who think that's funny- ah the bangs lads
    :rolleyes:

I could be wrong of course, but that it's so ill considered and unresearched that its turned the likes of me right off.
    That said I don't strava and am, in so many ways clearly not their target audience!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

I think kenmm has hit the nail on the head. I suspect this is someone (the original poster or a mate) who whipped up something cool looking and wanted to share it. I find it hilarious that I can see a couple of club mates’ names in that list of top 50 “Crayon makers” in Ireland. I’m not sure they would be so impressed. To be fair, if this is being done programmatically through the Strava api it demonstrates a level of skill most of us don’t have. However, I suspect it may break the Strava api usage terms, and sucking data off Strava to create a list of top Crayon makers in Ireland and storing it on GoDaddy has all sorts of GDPR implications. Then there is the whole tone of the website, with the jokey language and the weird images which leave you wondering whether this is a leg pull or a poorly executed attempt at something more serious. So while I can appreciate the technical competence which has gone into producing this, if it’s a serious attempt at something then it needs a lot more work.

Zen0 wrote: »
    I think kenmm has hit the nail on the head. I suspect this is someone (the original poster or a mate) who whipped up something cool looking and wanted to share it. I find it hilarious that I can see a couple of club mates’ names in that list of top 50 “Crayon makers” in Ireland. I’m not sure they would be so impressed. To be fair, if this is being done programmatically through the Strava api it demonstrates a level of skill most of us don’t have. However, I suspect it may break the Strava api usage terms, and sucking data off Strava to create a list of top Crayon makers in Ireland and storing it on GoDaddy has all sorts of GDPR implications. Then there is the whole tone of the website, with the jokey language and the weird images which leave you wondering whether this is a leg pull or a poorly executed attempt at something more serious. So while I can appreciate the technical competence which has gone into producing this, if it’s a serious attempt at something then it needs a lot more work.

Yeah, hard to tell really.. you could knock it together in a day or so, so could be a wind up..

The smart arse tone I thought was just poor humour. I thought Crayon makers was a genuine mistake because I haven't heard anyone use it in a while!

I'm curious now!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not my site. I was sent link to it and I seen/saw a discussion in here on hard climbs which I was gonna post on but cant find now
    Ok fair enough.
    So you were sent a link and came straight to boards to register and then tell us all about it. I see. Nothing unbelievable about that :rolleyes:

mod note - thread closed, and references to the deliberate/unfortunate terminology deleted.
    @OP, PM me if you need assistance on this; the fact that your first post on boards was to tell us about a brand new site has perked some eyebrows, so there's a hill to be climbed (pun intended) on convincing us this is as genuine as claimed

also, apologies to all whose posts i butchered hiding evidence that would lead someone to the site. but it was kinda fun.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement