Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepay Power charges?

Options
  • 10-09-2020 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

I recently moved into a house share with two others. The electricity provider is Prepay Power. I have rented a few places before and the electricity bills seemed to be reasonable. But now I'm paying €10 per week for electricity. I'm just there Mon-Thur evenings as I work during the day and go home at weekends so I'm not using very much electricity really anyway. So the 3 of us pay €10 per week. So in total the electricity bill is €120 per month then. Is this not very excessive? That's nearly €5 per day on electricity. I was in a house share last year and my share for electricity/Sky+broadband was €35 and I was sharing with 3 others.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I haven't looked at their rates for years but they were always much dearer than anyone else. Is there a reason you're using prepay. Just sign up with one of the other suppliers.

emeldc wrote: »
    I haven't looked at their rates for years but they were always much dearer than anyone else. Is there a reason you're using prepay. Just sign up with one of the other suppliers.

Very hard to do that if you’re with PrePay. Meters are different for prepay electricity. I had to change meters to finally get away and go bill pay , far more choice if you’re not on prepay meters but they’re much better for landlords with rental property.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

emeldc wrote: »

I just moved in a few weeks ago. That is what is in the house and that's how the two others in the house are paying. €40 a month on electricity seems expensive, then I have to pay for broadband and heating on top of that.

Very hard to do that if you’re with PrePay. Meters are different for prepay electricity. I had to change meters to finally get away and go bill pay , far more choice if you’re not on prepay meters but they’re much better for landlords with rental property.

It shouldn't be. The actual meter belongs to ESB networks. The meter that PPP supply is little more than a topup keypad. I have a rental property. My tenants were on PPP. When they left I rang PPP and told them to take their 'meter' out of my property, and they did.

By the way the landlord isn't responsible for the tenants bill if it's in the tenants name, which it should be anyway.

zeebre12 wrote: »
    I just moved in a few weeks ago. That is what is in the house and that's how the two others in the house are paying. €40 a month on electricity seems expensive, then I have to pay for broadband and heating on top of that.
    Get prices from the other suppliers and compare. Then talk to the other tenants. It's guaranteed to be cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Three More Big Sleeps

I'm with Prepay Power for electricity and broadband. The setup includes a display (showing, amongst other metrics, the amount of credit I have left) and a keypad for topping up (with a twenty-digit code from a PPP receipt).

Leaving the broadband out, the standing charge for go-go juice is ~90c per day, so that's €6.30 before you even put the kettle on for a cuppa.

It's just me, myself and I here and I'm in no way shy with the oven, immersion nor washing machine. On average, I topup with around £15, so I'm burning through €8.70 per week.

Three of ye, so you're using €23.70 of actual juice per week. Assuming you're "sharing" some use (lights, fridge, etc), that seems comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I know Prepay Power use sales staff to canvass door to door. Does anyone know how much commission they get for each property that get to change to them? I’ve often wondered how much is it.

Advertisement