Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running tracks

Options
  • 10-09-2020 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know about using the running tracks in Castlebar at gmit and Westport at Horkins Hill?

Do you need to be part of a club or athletic ireland? Can you pay as you go? Or can you just go there and start running?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

RogerThis wrote: »
    Does anyone know about using the running tracks in Castlebar at gmit and Westport at Horkins Hill?

Do you need to be part of a club or athletic ireland? Can you pay as you go? Or can you just go there and start running?

the gmit is just a piece of tarmac it cant see the need to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

irishgeo wrote: »
    the gmit is just a piece of tarmac it cant see the need to pay for it.

One hundred per cent.

It can used by anybody.

The local athletics club,soccer clubs,GMIT may use it at certain times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

As far as GMIT in Castlebar goes the adults athletic club use it on Tuesday evening at 7-8pm and I think the kids use it Sunday morning.

Anyone can use it anytime but if you avoid the above times it's a lot easier. Particularly with the covid restrictions as the adults athletic club are only allowed the 15 people. If you run at that time you're messing with the numbers and track and trace requirements. Don't know if the kids are back on the weekend.

I've used it as people are playing football or cricket with no problem. The issue is as we come into the winter it's very dark particularly the far side (furthest from the buildings) as it's surrounded by tall trees and can be hard to see and can have branches and leaves falling from the trees that can be trip hazards. When the athletic club use it they've the lights on during the winter. I think it was on a Thursday evening I used it a few times when lads were playing football. That way the lights were on but again not sure if that's happening now with covid. Obviously this is if you run after work like me but daylight times are no issue.

No idea on Westport. I haven't used it but Ballyavary track is also used a lot by runners. Claremorris is a proper track but you've to pay.

Edit:
    Just on joining Mayo Athletic Club. It's only €3 per session which includes lights, coach and insurance. You've people of all standards.
    A couch to 5k that runs for 8 weeks organised by Mayo Sports Partnership goes around the lake in castlebar and starts very soon that is €30.
    During winter I do like to run around the lake in Castlebar. No traffic, has lights the whole time and you don't get dizzy from the small laps.

Another Edit:
    The carpark beside GMIT track has clamping and is GMIT staff and students only. I presume it's more of an issue during the day as I've never seen them at night. If doing laps you can keep an eye on the car and quickly take action if you see the clampers.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Thanks for all the replies. I got the the gmit track over the weekend. I wanted a timed speed session, which Lough Lannagh isn't great for, ie running through a car park, lots of people, me puffing and panting etc.

Great advice with running with a club, I have been running on and off with the Westport Leisure Park, €2 a go. Good numbers running every weeks, with all levels of fitness.

Advertisement