Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ground Cover - where to buy?

Options
  • 10-09-2020 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Our landscape designer has recommended the following plants for ground cover on a terraced bank at the front of our house.
    • Ajuga (carpet/bugle weed)
    • Anemone (windflower)
    • Iberis (Sempervirens/Candytuft)
    • Creeping Phlox (Moss Pink)
    • Brunnera (False Forget-Me-Not/Jack Frost)
    • Pachysandra/Green Carpet

Does anyone know where I can pick up large quantities of these plants at a reasonable cost? And does anyone have other recommendations?

I'd like to have as much evergreen/colour all year round.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Tullys nurseries in swords will have some or most. I would add cotoneaster. Ceanothus and maybe rubus. Just my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,069 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Location?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Lumen wrote: »
    Location?

Yeah - should have listed that: Sligo

But for the volume I’d expect to have to travel to collect or get delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭shane b

tedimc wrote: »
    Yeah - should have listed that: Sligo

But for the volume I’d expect to have to travel to collect or get delivered

Try gogle for nursery sligo and ring a few that that are suggested. Eg western plant nursery.

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-samsung&source=android-browser&q=nursery+sligo

shane b wrote: »
    Try gogle for nursery sligo and ring a few that that are suggested. Eg western plant nursery.

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-samsung&source=android-browser&q=nursery+sligo

That was my first port of call but very limited selection from what I could tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭shane b

If your landscaper recommended these plants, maybe he knows who would stock them. Worth a call.

Thanks Shane, yes - planning to ask next time I see him.

I've just been working out numbers though, and looking at spacing these out 12-24 inchs will require an obscene amount of plants.

Has anyone grown something like this from seed? When is the best time of year to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

Afraid I can't help but also interested in this. Was thinking of growing a load of aubretia from seed next year cause have about 60m of sloping boundary ditches to try wrestle back from bracken etc.

tiredcity wrote: »
    Afraid I can't help but also interested in this. Was thinking of growing a load of aubretia from seed next year cause have about 60m of sloping boundary ditches to try wrestle back from bracken etc.

I'm not familiar with Aubretia but it looks like something that would suit my situation also. I was on Amazon last night and order some seed germination trays along with some seeds from my initial list. I was thinking of planting them now to try to get the seed to germinate indoors and then maybe transfer to a makeshift polytunnel outside. Not sure if it would work, but it would be good to have a reasonably well established plant for replanting next spring.

I might look at Aubretia also.

Advertisement