Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

why do people still go to gaelic football games?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

pgj2015 wrote: »
    it does, its rubbish now. apart from dublin, mayo and kerry, you couldnt pay me to go watch a match.

It’s not all about inter county. There is a vibrant club scene. Get out and watch that.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    It’s not all about inter county. There is a vibrant club scene. Get out and watch that.

In fairness nobody can get out and watch anything at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

mickdw wrote: »
    Jesus, i couldnt watch hurling. Its just alien to us around these parts. If you have played football yet never held a hurl, its easy to see how football could be favoured

Was actually just going to post something similar myself, and I'm coming at it as a hurling man, with very little interest in football.

If somebody has grown up surrounded by football and never had much contact with hurling at all, it's easy to understand why they'll always prefer football.

No matter how much better a game hurling is... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Why? the atmosphere and emotion of being there. Wanting to support your team. Football nowadays no where near as bad as some are making out and plenty of county teams that play good to decent football than just Dublin,Kerry and Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭megadodge

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Tyrone’s team of the 2000’s I feel get unfair criticism mainly because of what Spillane said and he has even back tracked on what he said about the puke football. They put pressure on teams higher up the field and if teams were slow with their build up or slow in possession there would be three or four Tyrone players around swarming the man in possession.

They had some brilliant forwards in the likes of Dooher, McGuigan, Cavanagh could switch from midfield into the forwards, O’Neill, Canavan Mulligan, then they had the likes of Ryan Mellon who could do a decent job in the half forward. That’s one of the best forward lines man for man and in terms of balance that has ever been in the GAA and was one of the main reasons why they won their All Ireland’s.

As well as this they had some brilliant man marking defenders in the likes of Gormley and Joe and Justin McMahon as well as the bould Ricey. One thing their defenders also liked to do was attack and could score and put the forward on the back foot by forcing the forward up the field to track them.

As for this thread I think football is evolving and turning back around to a more attacking game it’s is very possession based but that doesn’t make it boring in my opinion. Anyway I enjoy Football and enjoy lots of sports and I think this sport bashing is kinda sad saying oh why do people still attend football games, the reality is that people are dying to see a football game with no one allowed into game. My club were playing in the county semi final today and I would have paid €100 to go in and watch the game live in person.

Excellent post.

Good to see some people actually think before they type, rather than spout the usual braindead pubtalk drivel that's just wearing so thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭KIB4Life

megadodge wrote: »
    Excellent post.

Good to see some people actually think before they type, rather than spout the usual braindead pubtalk drivel that's just wearing so thin.

Like I said I can’t understand the negativity around Football I think Football is definitely more attacking and teams are trying to play more positive football. If people looked at results in the Club Championships in recent weeks there have been a lot of competitive high scoring games at club level in several counties, so how could anyone start a thread like this.

Also like I said I like and watch plenty of sport. I’m not a big cricket or golf fan, don’t find them that interesting to watch but I can appreciate the high level of skill that is required to play both sports and I would certainly not go on a golf or cricket forum and start a thread like that was started on football as it’s my own personal opinion and my own personal taste and I would know that several people enjoy watching and attend both cricket and golf. So there’s my little rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

In fairness nobody can get out and watch anything at the minute.

If a game is in a public park you can. But I get what you mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭pgj2015

shockframe wrote: »
    Topic brought up after 2 years of top class games and players.

And right in the middle of a remarkable club season.

Ain't no pleasing some

I honestly don't know how anyone could watch any of the northern teams play each other and say they are top class games.

from what I have seen the scores only come in the second half when both teams are wrecked from the constant running up and down the field in packs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭shockframe

I honestly don't know how anyone could watch any of the northern teams play each other and say they are top class games.

Like the enthralling Tyrone club championship over the last month or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Donegal's 1-13-1 formation in 2011 against Dublin was the biggest threat to football in the last 20 years, you do get an odd horror of a game like all sports but i think its improved a bit in recent years as teams realised that conservative approach only gets you so far and why in my opinion Tyrone won't win an all ireland once Harte is the manager. Personal choice but amazes me how some people find football more entertaining than hurling.

I don't know how it can "amaze" you. I don't play golf. I don't watch golf. Doesn't amaze me why a golfer would prefer golf over hurling. It's what they are interested in.
    I never played hurling. Have played football for over 35 years. Still tipping away. I’d watch a junior football game before a hurling all-ireland. Doesn’t interest me. It’s not that it’s not entertaining. It’s that I cannot relate to it. I see players getting the ball, and just whacking it up the field as far as they can hit it, – most of the time not even looking to see if a free man available. The crowd roars. The player roars and beats his chest with pride. There’s an element of a barbaric animal to hurling. This shouldering off the ball to see who can hurt who first to make their mark. Obviously it appeases to some people. But it does provide some comic entertainment.

I see players getting the ball, and just whacking it up the field as far as they can hit it, – most of the time not even looking to see if a free man available.

Not exactly a fair and accurate description of modern-day hurling. :)
    This shouldering off the ball to see who can hurt who first to make their mark.

And there's never any shenanigans off the ball in a football match....
    Obviously it appeases to some people. But it does provide some comic entertainment.

Bit patronising now, in fairness.

Overall though, I know where you're coming from, and think it just goes to prove my earlier point about it being perfectly understandable that somebody might prefer football if that's all they've grown up with and if they've never had any real contact with hurling.

Said before that I'm very much a hurling man myself but I played both codes from the age of about 9 up to my last match at the age of 41, and I've actually got more football medals than hurling ones. Always preferred hurling myself though, because having been equally exposed to both all the way along, I always thought it was a much superior game. But again, if somebody has never actually been involved in hurling, I can see why they'd have a preference for football instead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Inter county scene ain't great for sure but I'd advise the OP to go and view (when possible again) some of their local club championship games or even better some underage games where the enjoyment is still there in football.

Can't understand why the GAA won't promote club championships more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 04581466

Necro wrote: »
    Inter county scene ain't great for sure but I'd advise the OP to go and view (when possible again) some of their local club championship games or even better some underage games where the enjoyment is still there in football.

Can't understand why the GAA won't promote club championships more.

Absolutely. Especially in the last few months.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

04581466 wrote: »
    Absolutely. Especially in the last few months.

Honestly there's a multi million euro industry there to be harvested with the right plan. The absolute wealth of games and entertainment even in counties not considered all that good at inter county level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Honestly there's a multi million euro industry there to be harvested with the right plan. The absolute wealth of games and entertainment even in counties not considered all that good at inter county level.

I think that may be overstating it a fair bit due to the chasm created by Covid.

There has been an increased appetite for viewing local matches but crowd restrictions have been the driving force behind that. Most people/casual supporters would have had their hunger for football/hurling sufficiently filled at this stage of the year from an extensive All Ireland Championship.

When we get back to going to matches, and Club matches in October, I'm not sure I would be rushing home from my club's game to see the intermediate quarter final from Down or the senior semi final from Leitrim.

There's always going to be some interst and that can be satisfied by relatively cheap means of broadcasting these days... but I can't the club scene nationwide turning into a multi million euro industry any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I don't know how it can "amaze" you. I don't play golf. I don't watch golf. Doesn't amaze me why a golfer would prefer golf over hurling. It's what they are interested in.
    I never played hurling. Have played football for over 35 years. Still tipping away. I’d watch a junior football game before a hurling all-ireland. Doesn’t interest me. It’s not that it’s not entertaining. It’s that I cannot relate to it. I see players getting the ball, and just whacking it up the field as far as they can hit it, – most of the time not even looking to see if a free man available. The crowd roars. The player roars and beats his chest with pride. There’s an element of a barbaric animal to hurling. This shouldering off the ball to see who can hurt who first to make their mark. Obviously it appeases to some people. But it does provide some comic entertainment.

Agree completely. It's amazing that you can say you have a preference of one sport over another but as soon as anyone mentions they like football more than hurling it's seen as absurd in GAA. One sport seems to have little confidence in itself despite being the most popular while the other believes 'there is no such thing as a bad game of hurling'.

You see this spill over in terms of TV analysis where pundits are often quick to nit-pick a football game whereas every game of hurling is lauded. I think this feeds into peoples perceptions that football is bad these days although if you look at past games you'll see that the standard is a lot higher now and a hell of a lot better to watch. Both sports would be better served if their analyses were a bit more like the other.

The last point made on the quoted post about the hit and hope nature of hurling and less tactical play are things that football folk simply see as quite bizarre. It is also an awful got easier to score in hurling. I am not saying that football is more skillful; hurling is always typecast as the more skillful sport. However, when it comes to actually scoring it's a lot more difficult in football. I get an awful lot more pleasure from a footballer score from his wrong side by slicing the ball to put a 'banana' type curve on it than a hurler scoring from the halfway line. These are valid reasons as to why people like football.

Football isn't perfect though. I do think that football would be better served with 13-a-side game rather then these newer rules like the mark etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

PARlance wrote: »
    I think that may be overstating it a fair bit due to the chasm created by Covid.

There has been an increased appetite for viewing local matches but crowd restrictions have been the driving force behind that. Most people/casual supporters would have had their hunger for football/hurling sufficiently filled at this stage of the year from an extensive All Ireland Championship.

When we get back to going to matches, and Club matches in October, I'm not sure I would be rushing home from my club's game to see the intermediate quarter final from Down or the senior semi final from Leitrim.

There's always going to be some interst and that can be satisfied by relatively cheap means of broadcasting these days... but I can't the club scene nationwide turning into a multi million euro industry any time soon.

The GAA nationally need to sort out a reliable paid streaming service that every club in the country can use. I'd be willing to pay a few Euro even to watch club league games in Mayo, but only if the service is reliable. It could be a huge money spinner for clubs as there's a huge Irish population in England and elsewhere who would love to stay in contact with their local gaa scene.

One sport seems to have little confidence in itself despite being the most popular while the other believes 'there is no such thing as a bad game of hurling'.

You see this spill over in terms of TV analysis where pundits are often quick to nit-pick a football game whereas every game of hurling is lauded.

With all due respect, I think there are some sweeping statements being made about hurling here by people who don't actually watch much of it. I've seen countless bad hurling matches over the years, and I've heard pundits of all sorts call a match out for being bad, from "hurlers on the ditch" at local club games up to TV pundits for inter-county matches.

I won't quote other parts of your post, but in terms of what you say about scoring - scores are more common in hurling all right, but that doesn't mean that it's easier to score. Hitting a small ball accurately with a stick that's about three feet long is more inherently difficult than kicking a larger ball. Take somebody who's never played either game, and they'd be kicking points from 25 yards out a lot quicker than they'd be pucking a sliothar over the bar from the same distance, never mind further out.

Would be more accurate to say it's easier to create a scoring chance in hurling because the sheer physics of things mean a score can come from a much wider area, but it doesn't follow that the act of scoring itself is easier.

I won't quote other parts of your post, but in terms of what you say about scoring - scores are more common in hurling all right, but that doesn't mean that it's easier to score. Hitting a small ball accurately with a stick that's about three feet long is more inherently difficult than kicking a larger ball. Take somebody who's never played either game, and they'd be kicking points from 25 yards out a lot quicker than they'd be pucking a sliothar over the bar from the same distance, never mind further out.

Would be more accurate to say it's easier to create a scoring chance in hurling because the sheer physics of things mean a score can come from a much wider area, but it doesn't follow that the act of scoring itself is easier.

That's only because kids all over the world are kicking a size 5 ball from the moment they can walk. Not because hitting a ball with a hurley is inherently more difficult.

• Advertisement

I won't quote other parts of your post, but in terms of what you say about scoring - scores are more common in hurling all right, but that doesn't mean that it's easier to score. Hitting a small ball accurately with a stick that's about three feet long is more inherently difficult than kicking a larger ball. Take somebody who's never played either game, and they'd be kicking points from 25 yards out a lot quicker than they'd be pucking a sliothar over the bar from the same distance, never mind further out

While it may be more difficult to master striking a ball with a hurl once you do it's a lot easier to be accurate.

A football is lighter and you can't produce the same speed with a shot to hit it as hard; therefore, it's a lot more susceptible to wind after being hit and you cannot score from the same range of distance. Additionally, you're hitting a sliotar with a flat base whereas a football is hit with a more curved surface in terms of the dimensions of a foot. Another variable that affects accuracy. That's before you get into the fact that a sliotar is much smaller so in theory the scoring area is much greater in terms of a % of the size of the ball.

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    That's only because kids all over the world are kicking a size 5 ball from the moment they can walk. Not because hitting a ball with a hurley is inherently more difficult.

If you want to talk about kids.....I've spent almost ten years coaching kids in both hurling and football, from our nursery section (where they start as young as four, and sometimes even three) up to under-11 level.

We generally have sessions one evening midweek, and another on Saturday mornings, and we always alternate between one week hurling, one week football, so that they get equal time playing both games.

Barring the very odd exception who's from a "real" hurling family, the vast majority of them will master kicking a football over the bar before striking a sliothar over the bar from the same distance.

But hey, what would I know. I'm just involved in both games, at levels from nursery up to adult (I was a selector for our junior hurling and football teams this year too). People who only know football and have never been involved in hurlng at all would obviously know better than me. :rolleyes:

While it may be more difficult to master striking a ball with a hurl once you do it's a lot easier to be accurate.

Have underlined the key part of your statement. :)

I agree with you, but the point is that it takes a lot longer to master in the first place.

Have underlined the key part of your statement. :)

I agree with you, but the point is that it takes a lot longer to master in the first place.

We're on the same page there, I'm not disputing that it takes longer. Would you not agree though when it comes to adult games were hurlers are well able to master the skill of striking a sliotar that it's easier to score taking into account the variables I mentioned?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

With all this talk comparing the two games, it's a nice thought to remember that blocking a shot in both sports is pretty much always class. :)

We're on the same page there, I'm not disputing that it takes longer. Would you not agree though when it comes to adult games were hurlers are well able to master the skill of striking a sliotar that it's easier to score taking into account the variables I mentioned?

A bit of a politician's answer coming up here. But I'm not a policitian!

I would agree that in an adult hurling match, where the players have already mastered the skill of striking accurately from distance, it's easier to create a scoring chance, and there's a greater probability of scoring chances being converted.

Let's leave it at that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Im not sure really. It seems more acceptable to hit wides in hurling so you seeing people attempting 50/50 attempts a lot more than in football, in my opinion. Its also a faster game in that the ball goes from one side of the field to the other a lot quicker so that you expect more scores.

Football seems to have become a lot more of playing the percentages so you only attempt a score if its almost a certainty. for instance you can put a ball over from the 45 in football but you rarely see a player attempt it, as it played in further and then atttempted. You can put it over from 75/80 metres in hurling and you see that attempted quite regularly.

Im not sure really. It seems more acceptable to hit wides in hurling so you seeing people attempting 50/50 attempts a lot more than in football, in my opinion. Its also a faster game in that the ball goes from one side of the field to the other a lot quicker so that you expect more scores.

Football seems to have become a lot more of playing the percentages so you only attempt a score if its almost a certainty. for instance you can put a ball over from the 45 in football but you rarely see a player attempt it, as it played in further and then atttempted. You can put it over from 75/80 metres in hurling and you see that attempted quite regularly.

You definitely see more speculative shots in hurling but I think that is because it is easier to score as I mentioned earlier. Therefore, the risk reward ratio comes more into play in football. If you attempt a shot from 45m in football it's a lot more likely to be influenced by the breeze as the ball is less dense than a sliotar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 sheepskin1234

Vast majority of games are rubbish.

It's called football, not handball. The game has essentially turned into basketball without a shot clock.

I remember a situation once. Defending player in his own half lost the ball in a tackle. Lots of space in behind.

A decade or more ago players would be sprinting back to defend. Now, both sites, simply jog into position to run their next set.

It's all about "athletes" these days. Lads devouring their paid for protein tubs and doing 10ks

Colin Corkery would throw points over from way out wide on the wrong side. If a player did that today the commentators and fans would jizz themselves.

If you want to talk about kids.....I've spent almost ten years coaching kids in both hurling and football, from our nursery section (where they start as young as four, and sometimes even three) up to under-11 level.

We generally have sessions one evening midweek, and another on Saturday mornings, and we always alternate between one week hurling, one week football, so that they get equal time playing both games.

Barring the very odd exception who's from a "real" hurling family, the vast majority of them will master kicking a football over the bar before striking a sliothar over the bar from the same distance.

But hey, what would I know. I'm just involved in both games, at levels from nursery up to adult (I was a selector for our junior hurling and football teams this year too). People who only know football and have never been involved in hurlng at all would obviously know better than me. :rolleyes:

Fair enough I've never been involved in hurling but annoys me the way so many hurling people love to criticise football and belittle the skill levels involved.

If a footballer and hurler are one on one with the goalkeeper, slotting the football into the net is a much more difficult skill. Hurling has 65s because it would be too easy to score otherwise.

Many things in football are more difficult and the fact it's more widely played means it's harder to reach the levels of the top players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Fair enough I've never been involved in hurling but annoys me the way so many hurling people love to criticise football and belittle the skill levels involved.

If a footballer and hurler are one on one with the goalkeeper, slotting the football into the net is a much more difficult skill. Hurling has 65s because it would be too easy to score otherwise.

Many things in football are more difficult and the fact it's more widely played means it's harder to reach the levels of the top players.

Had to reply to this. You cant compare one with the other or say either are easier or more difficult. I could use your argument and say because more people play the easier it is to pick up for Joe Soap to be playing football at Junior D level. Very rare to find junior D in hurling. Any top player is playing junior A and up. Levels B, C and D are irrelevant so the amount of players playing the sport is also irrelevant in terms of competing with other players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭shockframe

You definitely see more speculative shots in hurling but I think that is because it is easier to score as I mentioned earlier. Therefore, the risk reward ratio comes more into play in football. If you attempt a shot from 45m in football it's a lot more likely to be influenced by the breeze as the ball is less dense than a sliotar.

Football scores have gone up a lot which is surprising given boot technology. In the main Football boots are largely governed by soccer given similarity in the state of pitches.

Soccer is played with a much lighter ball nowadays but the one in Football is still the same size. When people complain about less long range shots that might be a factor too. We never heard of metatarsal injuries before David Beckham which was liked to his Adidas Predators.

Looking at All ireland semi finals in the 90s it was commonplace for a beaten team to score 10 points or less in a game. The average now would be around 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Quite simply a lot of people would usually have no interest in club Championships outside of their own county. This year is something of an exception with the extra focus placed on it.

Plus I'd have to disagree somewhat with regards the quality of the matches. A lot of the club football matches I've watched have been turgid affairs and in the Hurling there's been a good number of one sided hammerings. A high scoreline doesn't necessarily equal to an exciting match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Football seems to have become a lot more of playing the percentages so you only attempt a score if its almost a certainty. for instance you can put a ball over from the 45 in football but you rarely see a player attempt it, as it played in further and then atttempted. You can put it over from 75/80 metres in hurling and you see that attempted quite regularly.[/QUOTo

To be honest, I don't think you will come across many players at senior level who can score points from the 45 or outside it in a match situation. I don't necessarily think its confidence or playing percentages. I don't think the ability is there to tick all the boxes to make the score i.e. make sure ball connect with proper part of foot, get the length of the shot, hit the target, ignore all players around so as not to get blocked.
    If you see a hurler taking a shot from inside their own half, it is when they are relatively isolated, and they know they are going to easily get the distance. Only variable then is can they get it close to the target. Sometimes it happens, and sometimes it doesn't.

Did you watch these games last year?

https://www.gaa.ie/football/ulster-gaa-football-senior-championship/cavan-armagh/1496031/

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1050435/

Ah now, don't be using facts to counter baseless arguments!

megadodge wrote: »
    Ah now, don't be using facts to counter baseless arguments!

facts about what? high score doesn't mean its a good match to watch, how many scores come from frees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

shockframe wrote: »
    Football scores have gone up a lot which is surprising given boot technology. In the main Football boots are largely governed by soccer given similarity in the state of pitches.

Soccer is played with a much lighter ball nowadays but the one in Football is still the same size. When people complain about less long range shots that might be a factor too. We never heard of metatarsal injuries before David Beckham which was liked to his Adidas Predators.

Looking at All ireland semi finals in the 90s it was commonplace for a beaten team to score 10 points or less in a game. The average now would be around 15.

I don't think boots come into it too much. Data, transfering that data to coaching/better coaching, a greater awareness of the percentage shot for e.g. would be a much greater factor imo.

The higher scoring would also be a factor of a quicker game. Quick kicks outs being a big factor, you could be waiting a minute for a kick out when I was playing, nowadays the ball is back in play within seconds. Same for frees etc. The ball is in play much much more than it was in the 90s.

Boot technology advancements would have lead to more accuracy than any other negative imo. The Puma King or Adidas World Cup were seen as the top boot when I was younger, you get a much better feel for the ball with a modern boot imo.

The increases foot injuries are generally put down to the introduction of blades, with Adidas Predators leading the way in that. Two main factors regarding that imo, 1. blades allow more movement/less stability and can cause stress on the foot and 2. In football you will get tackles where the sole/blades of one boot will make contact with another players foot... the blades make much more of an impact (much larger impact area) than studs.

facts about what? high score doesn't mean its a good match to watch, how many scores come from frees?

You didn't answer my question. If you read the links provided you find out how many came from frees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

I don't get this thread.

"Why do people still go to gaelic football games?"

I go because it's my favourite sport. I like hurling, I like soccer, I don't really like rugby. I don't play golf.

But I was brought up playing and watching football and it's my preferred sport. I love watching my club play at any level (although we can't buy a win this year!). I'd choose watching our junior C's before the Champions League final. I'd probably choose watching them over most hurling games too (although provincial and All-Ireland finals are unmissable).

Same with my county footballers. Love watching them, senior, under 20, minor.

I just don't "get" other sports like I do football. No apologies, that's just how it is. And yes, of course there are bad games. Of course sometimes you wonder why you spent an hour and a half watching some terrible game.

But just like you have hurling fans, soccer fans, horse racing fans, so too you have gaelic football fans who will keep watching it despite the naysayers of this world. The next good game is always around the corner.

I don't get this thread.

"Why do people still go to gaelic football games?"

I go because it's my favourite sport. I like hurling, I like soccer, I don't really like rugby. I don't play golf.

But I was brought up playing and watching football and it's my preferred sport. I love watching my club play at any level (although we can't buy a win this year!). I'd choose watching our junior C's before the Champions League final. I'd probably choose watching them over most hurling games too (although provincial and All-Ireland finals are unmissable).

Same with my county footballers. Love watching them, senior, under 20, minor.

I just don't "get" other sports like I do football. No apologies, that's just how it is. And yes, of course there are bad games. Of course sometimes you wonder why you spent an hour and a half watching some terrible game.

But just like you have hurling fans, soccer fans, horse racing fans, so too you have gaelic football fans who will keep watching it despite the naysayers of this world. The next good game is always around the corner.

It is obvious from reading some of the replies here that some people will accept anything, for me football has been ruined and i don't enjoy watching 99% of games anymore. I cant see how 30 players in 1 half and so much hand passing and frees going backwards is enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭KIB4Life

It is obvious from reading some of the replies here that some people will accept anything, for me football has been ruined and i don't enjoy watching 99% of games anymore. I cant see how 30 players in 1 half and so much hand passing and frees going backwards is enjoyable.

Well maybe you should be able to accept that other people enjoy football, it obvious you don’t like football, but just because you don’t like or enjoy something doesn’t mean that everyone will have the same opinion as you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

You started the thread. You asked a very specific question and plenty of people have given decent answers.
    I've seen some really open and attractive club games this year so far. Let's see what the inter county championship brings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Only thing that is obvious is this wum thread seeking reaction from people who enjoy and will continue to enjoy the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

doc_17 wrote: »
    This sh1t comes up all the time and Dublin seem to be exempt from criticism. Nobody is better at getting men behind the ball than Dublin. Nobody.

Their attacking play as a unit is what sets them apart. And the home advantage.

This sh1t comes up all the time , Dublins home advantage :rolleyes:
    Dont forget the money ,home referees ,free cars and free lunches ;)

• Advertisement

If you replace the '30' with '22' and delete the word 'hand' you've got the perfect description of soccer - a game you claim to enjoy watching.

Pathetic double standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Gael85

dunnerc wrote: »
    This sh1t comes up all the time , Dublins home advantage :rolleyes:
    Dont forget the money ,home referees ,free cars and free lunches ;)

You forgot to mention the lads don't work either :D

There's never 30 players in one half. What are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Gael85 wrote: »
    You forgot to mention the lads don't work either :D

My apologies :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In the 2018 championship, by my calculations Dublin scored 12-131

They played 7 games in that championship.

An average of about 20 scores per game.

A score on average every 210 seconds. Based on a 70 minute game for ease of math.

Ultimately Dublin defend from front to back, attack from back to front... the ultimate ‘team’... that’s not convenient for many but they are the best team to have played the game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement