Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

seanb85 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for him, I get the feeling Fianna Fáil are basically going to refuse to do anything until hospitals are feeling the pressure so NPHET's advice at the moment isn't having any effect on the decision makers.

Reminds me of Trump and Fauci in a way.
    We have silence from the government now until Tuesday. They expecting things to get better over the weekend all by itself?
    Even if Michael mute Martin or Stephen trampoline Donnelly was to give an interview reminding people to be cautious, especially in Dublin, it would go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Basically do what we recommend to government and what we've been saying all week to do

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Speaking of Dublin this weekend the anti mask and restrictions loons have another protest planned. Hopefully the media give those attention seekers zero coverage.

Tomorrow is going to be hilarious, Antifa are having a pro mask gathering at the spire and Ming is one of their speakers.
    A splinter group was created after the last March the Anti Antifas there separate from the anti lockdown and yellow jacket and will be up for the fight.
    Then we have Boyd Barret and the gang having an anti right gathering.

I can't wait to watch all this unfold tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

In fairness Prof. Glynn's Twitter post is calm and measured.

There's obvious concern for Dublin with the repeated message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

Roots 2020 wrote: »

Meanwhile our Taoiseach's twitter is a series of photo ops and generally a covid free zone the last few days. Inept.

• Advertisement

Whatever I'm developing at the moment is so peculiar in view of my stringent practice of medical mask wearing and carrying gel on my belt and using it all the time. Except for having coffee and eats. Live alone, communicating mostly through media, keeping strict social distance, doing all the right things. Why am I now so ill with sharp pleuritic chest pain and temperature, with antibiotic failing to work? The Sunday Covid test might tell, or not. It's strange that I got anything at all with my current lifestyle. Was in Kilkenny last week, always socially distanced and in own room etc. No known ill contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Goldengirl wrote: »
    What are they doing in New York now that Madrid is not, do you know?

Mayor Cuomo is tough on out of state travel. New York have a list of 35 US states and territories (eg Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands),
    that if you were travelling from to NY you must do a 14 day quarantine. Obviously the US as a whole is still closed to international travel for the most part.

Whereas Madrid have had no such rules in place. They fully opened up to to international travel, as their economy depends on it. If Madrid is anything like Barcelona, according to another poster on here, social distancing has completely gone out the window and masks are purely for optics. Bars and restaurants are just a free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Whatever I'm developing at the moment is so peculiar in view of my stringent practice of medical mask wearing and carrying gel on my belt and using it all the time. Except for having coffee and eats. Live alone, communicating mostly through media, keeping strict social distance, doing all the right things. Why am I now so ill with sharp pleuritic chest pain and temperature, with antibiotic failing to work? The Sunday Covid test might tell, or not. It's strange that I got anything at all with my current lifestyle. Was in Kilkenny last week, always socially distanced and in own room etc. No known ill contacts.
    Not strange at all. All the mask wearing and social distancing reduces the risk of catching something but comes nowhere close to eliminating the risks. If you were in the same room as another human at some stage that is why you caught something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Tomorrow is going to be hilarious, Antifa are having a pro mask gathering at the spire and Ming is one of their speakers.
    A splinter group was created after the last March the Anti Antifas there separate from the anti lockdown and yellow jacket and will be up for the fight.
    Then we have Boyd Barret and the gang having an anti right gathering.

I can't wait to watch all this unfold tomorrow...

Water cannons to blast the whole lot of them out of it would be ideal

jackboy wrote: »
    Not strange at all. All the mask wearing and social distancing reduces the risk of catching something but comes nowhere close to eliminating the risks. If you were in the same room as another human at some stage that is why you caught something.

Yep, there are inevitable little gaps no matter how you try, viruses just get in if they are virulent. However risk is somewhat mitigated and maybe initial viral load is less.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile our Taoiseach's twitter is a series of photo ops and generally a covid free zone the last few days. Inept.

I can't remember a worse Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

Yep, there are inevitable little gaps no matter how you try, viruses just get in if they are virulent. However risk is somewhat mitigated and maybe initial viral load is less.
    i never took a mask off,always washed hands,im sitting here walloped with the virus,i am rattled,yet i had contact with folk who sat with me for hours,they all tested negative..hard to call.i was brand new today,even bought 4 guinness,got a wallop around 6 this evening,would not wish it on my worse enemy..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,998 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

T-TOTAL WEEKEND LOCK DOWN COUNTRY WIDE
    ..Could be a way forward, shut it down, shut it down now.

Should start at 8pm Friday to 4am Monday

September is one of those months where it's easy to catch a chill. 20C at 6pm and by 8pm it can be 10C.

September is one of those months where it's easy to catch a chill. 20C at 6pm and by 8pm it can be 10C.

there is all sorts floating about you are right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

lolokeogh wrote: »
    i never took a mask off,always washed hands,im sitting here walloped with the virus,i am rattled,yet i had contact with folk who sat with me for hours,they all tested negative..hard to call.i was brand new today,even bought 4 guinness,got a wallop around 6 this evening,would not wish it on my worse enemy..

Their negative tests mean nothing. It could be a long time before they have enough virus in their systems for a positive test result. I hope they are isolating for at least two weeks.

Best wishes to you and your family, you've been through the mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

Dunno if anyone else on here has mentioned the no referral testing centres that were in limerick today ,

I attended one started queuing at 11am and didn’t get out to approx 1.30pm , I had got to the stage where I had queued for so long I had invested too much and couldn’t leave til I had it done

The cars just kept coming while we were there a lot of cars drove in turned around and went away when they saw the queue , must have been a queue of 50 cars at all times

The lady testing me was lovely ,we had a laugh and she remarked she couldn’t believe how many people were turning up for tests with no symptoms or not feeling unwell

The test was quick and painless , a sensation on the nasal swab but only a drama queen would make something of it

I am 99.9% sure I don’t have it but I honestly believe if they had the resources to put these centres in place they could catch a lot of cases and I do think people would present for testing , if we tested everyone like everyone voted we would have a great starting point for slowing this thing down to almost zero

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

French PM just said they're not going into lockdown.
    If they aren't, we definitely aren't.

Best wishes to you and your family, you've been through the mill.

cheers roots,i have a pain in my boll*x with it..just relentless..

• Advertisement

I got pneumonia one September. Started when I was sweating training, the evening cooled down and the wind went through me. I kept working through what I thought was a heavy cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

T-TOTAL WEEKEND LOCK DOWN COUNTRY WIDE
    ..Could be a way forward, shut it down, shut it down now.

Should start at 8pm Friday to 4am Monday

Sounds good, I am from an area that to the best of my knowledge there has not been a single case for at least 30miles in any direction, the kids have benefited from football etc being back on, lock em down, because we can't lock down Dublin when they have alot of cases

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

i never took a mask off,always washed hands,im sitting here walloped with the virus,i am rattled.

Sorry and scary to hear how despite all the precautions you took this sneaky virus still found its way to you.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The health officials and NPHET are going to brief ferociously against the Government if the situation gets out of control. There are already plenty of media reports outlining how the Government is not following NPHET advice. They're laying the blame early on, understandably so I guess.

Ministers would want to be careful. They are the ones who will face the public backlash if the spread of the virus gets out of control requiring another heavy handed lockdown.

cheers roots,i have a pain in my boll*x with it..just relentless..

Yes it's weeks you were saying. Take your time and don't rush back to work too soon etc.

French PM just said they're not going into lockdown.
    If they aren't, we definitely aren't.

Right. Second time round is deemed detrimental to economic life you'd imagine. It's last case option.

Fair play to Fr. Jack Hackett, he was very conscious of social distancing back in the mid 90s..

10 sec in.
    https://youtu.be/tuW8TaAlBfg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't want to alarm you but worth havig a read of this... If you were staying somewhere where the shower hasn't been used for a while there is a risk of Legionnaires disease. Penicillin based antibiotics not effective against it. If you have a followup call with doc, and my interpretation of your Kilkenny comment is correct keep it in mind:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionnaires%27_disease

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The health officials and NPHET are going to brief ferociously against the Government if the situation gets out of control. There are already plenty of media reports outlining how the Government is not following NPHET advice. They're laying the blame early on, understandably so I guess.

Ministers would want to be careful. They are the ones who will face the public backlash if the spread of the virus gets out of control requiring another heavy handed lockdown.

There won’t be another lockdown. No matter what. There’ll be restrictions (as far as they can be policed) on going into other people’s homes, but no chance we go back to non essential businesses closed and draconian restrictions on distance allowed from your home. It will destroy the economy for a generation. The French, Italians and Spanish have all more or less stated this publicly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Not really sure how anyone can demand a lockdown when the infection rate outside of Dublin is generally quite low.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement