Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Nphet are asking people to cut the people they meet this week in half!

With a knife, scissors or chainsaw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I need a happy pill or two now. Winter is approaching, the usual trolley watch, the usual doom and gloom. And Covid. Oh God help Dubliners, it ain't looking good is it.

You need to get yourself to the Galway Summer Garden, its the nearest thing to a festival vibe before the end of September. https://galwaysummergarden.ie/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sgsdfsdfsd

So an engineer on twitter, with no qualifications to talk about Covid, gives out about a talk show host with no qualifications talking about Covid. :rolleyes:

"Ireland's top talk show host has morphed into being an immunologist-soothsayer synthesis. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

GooglePlus wrote: »
    The fact that nobody agrees with your outlook should be enough for you to see how things really are.

There's no sinister plan in motion, the world is just facing a pandemic and you've lost the ability to think rationally.

This isn't a dig at you, I completely understand how you may fall down that hole with the way media (both social and conventional) are portraying things but you need to understand that you're the exact person they froth at the mouth over.

The measures that are being put in place across the globe have been too extreme at times but you have to remember that governments are being reactive, we don't have time to be proactive as that ship has sailed. Mistakes will be made and upon reflection, we will see our wrongs but this isn't one big plan to get you to get in line.

For your own sake, take a step back and take a breath. You're doing yourself no favours, think about it.

Your gas:D

Everything is fine, nothing to see here, everyone is happy.

I need to take a step back, you need to wake up and stop listening to NPHET and MM.

This is the game plan though, cancel all people who question..

Mc Dowell next on the cancelled lists after Van Morrison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Nphet are asking people to cut the people they meet this week in half!

With a knife, scissors or chainsaw?

I didn't think it would come to this so soon. :( Oh well....I said right at the start I would be Michonne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

With batons raised?

No with cans of Dutch Gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

You need to get yourself to the Galway Summer Garden, its the nearest thing to a festival vibe before the end of September. https://galwaysummergarden.ie/

Ah thanks my friend, but we are advised to stay where we are. Sounds good though, hope it is successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

An absolute attention seeking hyperbole merchant of the highest order!...He twists everything to suit his own agenda and plain and simple at the end of the day is as about as qualified to talk on this subject as Gonzo from the muppets!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I need to take a step back, you need to wake up and stop listening to NPHET and MM.

I hope you find peace whoever you are, life is too short.

• Advertisement

Has Spain peaked in its second wave yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Great speech

Was that on Rte news?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Was chatting to a mate about it today. I don’t think the restrictions themselves will have a massive impact, but one thing that struck me is the rising numbers and the introduction of restrictions has at least focussed minds again on distancing, etc. I think that will have more of an impact on people’s mentality than the actual restrictions tbh.

Agree with you there. Local Lidl was doing one in, one out today for the first time in weeks. Trying to keep the numbers down in store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

dexter647 wrote: »
    An absolute attention seeking hyperbole merchant of the highest order!...He twists everything to suit his own agenda and plain and simple at the end of the day is as about as qualified to talk on this subject as Gonzo from the muppets!!

You may be correct but it was irresponsible of tubridy to declare that the vaccine is almost here. His speech was just old fashioned propaganda, except he is so bad at it that it is laughable. Still, there are probably some who believed his vaccine guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I would love to know what the government(s) have actually done to proactively tackle the potential fallout of health system being overwhelmed. Spending in schemes such as PUP are necessary but only tackle the immediate issue.

I'd like to think they would isolate some of the finances to bring in short-medium term tangible benefits that will serve us better through this pandemic, potential second and further waves, or even future pandemics.
    • Additional beds in hospitals (including ICU)
    • Smarter segregation in hospital buildings/layouts between out patients and emergency cases so that certain ongoing health consultations won't be impacted in emergency situations
    • Additional front line Gardai and nurses
    • Spending in education (to support 'plan B' in serious cases)
    • Proper Department of Education planning and guidance in the event of 'plan b' to ensure all schools understand how and where the curriculum will be applied and are equipped (rather than the sh1tshow at the start of the year with all schools doing things differently)
    • Planning to allow the economy and businesses stay up throughout but bring out serious deterrents such as individual fines, company licence revocation or mandatory building closures
    • Grants and advice for businesses to avail of to help the business's employees working remotely (not the necessarily Google's but the smaller 1-20 employee companies)

World populations are going up. We could have a pandemic every decade but I feel we will be in a similar position last March as we would be in 2030.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Great speech

Was that on Rte news?

The Senate is a useless thing, as we can see. Talking shop for those who are there and are sucking from the same teat. Most of us haven't a clue as to what they do at all.

Same probably applies to the Dail lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I hope you find peace whoever you are, life is too short.

Too short for buying a ticket to this **** show anyway...

Watching Dublin media and people implode while us rednecks are having creamy pints tomorrow will be priceless.

dexter647 wrote: »

Not a fan?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Has Spain peaked in its second wave yet?

They don't report numbers at the weekend. Watch the big jump again tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jusvi2001

Roger_007 wrote: »
    In the early stages of this pandemic, we were told to look at Denmark as an example of how this thing should be handled. With our similar sizes and population distribution we could make direct comparisons. Now that Denmark has a higher infection rate than us, are we still looking to them as an example?
    By contrast Sweden was heavily criticised as reckless feckers who we should certainly not emulate.
    I wonder who we should look to now?

Sweden is way better than any other European country at the moment.

Part of this problem is Ireland's health system. Ireland's health care was always in shambles and everyone knew it since last 10 years. still no significant investment were made in primary care or in acute hospital beds. In the last 10 yrs HSE recruited more and more pen pusher managers. In my place 80 bed HSE community hospital (elderly care) is managed by 1 Director of Nursing, 2 Asst Director of Nursing, 6 Nurse managers and 4 office staff, Near by 76 bed private nursing home is managed by 1 director of nursing, 1 Nurse manager and 1 office staff.

What we need is more testing capacity, acute beds, efficient primary care and more frontline staff rather than pen pusher managers

Too short for buying a ticket to this **** show anyway...

Watching Dublin media and people implode while us rednecks are having creamy pints tomorrow will be priceless.

The majority of people in Dublin are intelligent enough to know why we're at where we're at and how it helps the wider country.

You're being led down the same social media path as the 5G toothless brigade and the anti-vaxers. Audit your algorithms lad or you'll end up dead in the brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Not a fan?
    I'm not Ivor sorry..No offence intended;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭CiarraiManc

jackboy wrote: »
    You may be correct but it was irresponsible of tubridy to declare that the vaccine is almost here. His speech was just old fashioned propaganda, except he is so bad at it that it is laughable. Still, there are probably some who believed his vaccine guff.

Go on the vaccine thread. There's a whole host of lads there who'll believe any old tripe about a vaccine being right on the horizon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

jusvi2001 wrote: »
    Sweden is way better than any other European country at the moment.

And it only took 5865 deaths to get them there. They're also about five weeks behind the rest of Europe in reaching a first trough, so cases may well hit a surge yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

That twitter user (idiot) is trying to make a point that lockdowns don't work.

That "near zero deaths" line in that graph is utterly idiotic on relation to the point he is making.

The reduction in new cases on a daily basis is in direct correlation to the resulting "near zero deaths period" in the weeks afterwards. New cases were reduced from the actions taken via restrictions.

Of course there is near zero deaths you ****ing numpty. Does this guy think he is smart or something or is this aimed at people who can't read graphs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Was chatting to a mate about it today. I don’t think the restrictions themselves will have a massive impact, but one thing that struck me is the rising numbers and the introduction of restrictions has at least focussed minds again on distancing, etc. I think that will have more of an impact on people’s mentality than the actual restrictions tbh.

I’m afraid we cannot afford to put upwards of 50,000 people out of work, plus many businesses to close to ‘focus people’s minds’.
    The behaviour of NPHET this week needs to be called into question, there were many leaks to the media, multiple interviews, and a big media push on ‘what the new measures would be’, all before the cabinet sub-committee or cabinet even met. Who exactly is in Government? Where is the overall picture? Why are the government allowing NPHET whose sole focus is Covid control to dictate policy across all Government Departments...
    The current measures are a complete waste of time in Dublin, it’ll drive people into homes for more gatherings, screw the economy & have no effect on case numbers coming down. Our approach needs to be more focused on protecting vulnerable groups.
    Has the HSE published a winter plan for this winter re more staff? Are they recruiting extra staff? Have more ICU beds been made available? They’ve had 6 months to get themselves organised...

jackboy wrote: »

Its like a scene out of Contagion they way he's going on

A killer virus on the loose and we will all be lined up one by one getting vaccinated soon

What are the government going to do when the majority dont want to get that 1st generation vaccine in the New Year and cases are still rising with the vaccine out there?

Most of the people I know under 35 wont be getting that vaccine unless forced to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

You should contact the hospital the nurse works for and let them know what their employee was up to. Maybe try contacting the HSE too

Very unwise.

I'm not a solicitor but AFAIK you could be sued for tortious interference if you do that.

Trying to get people in trouble with their employer is a dangerous game to play in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    And it only took 5865 deaths to get them there. They're also about five weeks behind the rest of Europe in reaching a first trough, so cases may well hit a surge yet.

Not disagreeing with you, but unless the virus is seasonal, why do you think Sweden will have a surge? Other European countries had surges/second waves when they reopened after lockdown or relaxed social distancing measures, etc. but it doesn’t seem like Sweden have changed anything, so what do you think will be the reason if they do have an increase in cases?’

Pointless graph that doesn't take increased testing into account. That red "you are here" blip is most likely closer to that little speck you see on the 13th of March, which was deflated due to the testing numbers.

Deaths aren't magically lower now due to a weakening, we're just much earlier on our curve than people think. Comparing the curve associated with high testing to one with low testing isn't very smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

Very low numbers for a population of 10 million for a deadly virus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭CiarraiManc

growleaves wrote: »
    Very unwise.

I'm not a solicitor but AFAIK you could be sued for tortious interference if you do that.

Trying to get people in trouble with their employer is a dangerous game to play in any case.

Fair enough but it wouldn't be unwarranted in that case.

A killer virus on the loose and we will all be lined up one by one getting vaccinated soon

What are the government going to do when the majority dont want to get that 1st generation vaccine in the New Year and cases are still rising with the vaccine out there?

Most of the people I know under 35 wont be getting that vaccine unless forced to

Proof of the bubble you're in. You really think you're a majority!

Pointless graph that doesn't take increased testing into account. That red "you are here" blip is most likely closer to that little speck you see on the 13th of March, which was deflated due to the testing numbers.

Deaths aren't magically lower now due to a weakening, we're just much earlier on our curve than people think. Comparing the curve associated with high testing to one with low testing isn't very smart.

Of course deaths will be lower as the more vunerable in society will isolate more and take care of themselves. They didn't have a chance first time around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Very high numbers today. I'm very worried that we might see what happened in Italy earlier in the year. We acted quickly back then. But it's now we have to live with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I guess if people over 70 and the vulnerable are vaccinated first, the under 35’s can get Covid and recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

They don't report numbers at the weekend. Watch the big jump again tomorrow.

7 day average includes last weekend so numbers are dropping over last weekdays too

https://lockdownsceptics.org/lies-damned-lies-and-health-statistics-the-deadly-danger-of-false-positives/

Very high numbers today. I'm very worried that we might see what happened in Italy earlier in the year. We acted quickly back then. But it's now we have to live with it.

We have seen that no where in Europe who have been opened months before us, do you really think this or just looking for a reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

If the italy scenario didn't happen here in April there's not a hope in hell it'll happen now.

Proof of the bubble you're in. You really think you're a majority!

The majority wont take it, especially young people

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-only-half-of-britons-say-they-would-get-a-vaccine-poll-reveals-12045605

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Bad name for a website that has good well researched data. It's at least providing food for thought.

I'm certainly all for vaccines but I won't be rushing to get it.

:D You are your own worst enemy backing your ****e up with links like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

With the way a lot of our citizens are acting it's a possibility for sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

niallo27 wrote: »
    We have seen that no where in Europe who have been opened months before us, do you really think this or just looking for a reaction.

We acted early back then when other countries were getting it bad. Covid and the flu as well. This can put pressure on our hospitals and we should be avoiding putting pressure on our hospitals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

It feels like we've been "at a cross roads" for ages now. We're still at a crossroads.

Bad name for a website that has good well researched data. It's at least providing food for thought.

My feeling the worst is over in terms of illness/deaths. I understand the caution and prudence.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement