Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

GooglePlus wrote: »
    The majority of people in Dublin are intelligent enough to know why we're at where we're at and how it helps the wider country.

You're being led down the same social media path as the 5G toothless brigade and the anti-vaxers. Audit your algorithms lad or you'll end up dead in the brain.

Dead in the brain is accepting without question or evidence, everything this government is doing.
    There's a sizable portion of the medical and legal profession who have the same feeling about what's going on.
    The Government are running rough shot over us and you can't see it or else you think it's perfectly acceptable.

Don't try and lump someone who looks for evidence, facts and
    expects measurable outcomes from government policy into the 5G, anti vaxx brigade I'm far from that, I won't be first in line for this vaxx though, I'll leave that up to braves like your good self.

It feels like we've been "at a cross roads" for ages now. We're still at a crossroads.

Crossroads every week...

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Very high numbers today. I'm very worried that we might see what happened in Italy earlier in the year. We acted quickly back then. But it's now we have to live with it.

Won't happen, lots more tests, lots more cases ... vast majority of people don't even feel what they have.

Look at deaths as a metric ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

s1ippy wrote: »
    Wtf is that website

www.steelbeamsmeltingdreams.gov.us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

niallo27 wrote: »
    I'm certainly all for vaccines but I won't be rushing to get it.

I've paid a few hundred euro for meningitis vaccine for the kids, not anti vax as well

I won't be getting this one, my parents probably should, up to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

We acted early back then when other countries were getting it bad. Covid and the flu as well. This can put pressure on our hospitals and we should be avoiding putting pressure on our hospitals.

No we didn't, we let it rip through nursing homes, our deaths would be a third of what they are now if we had locked them down. We ****ed up back then and we are ****ing up right now.

It feels like we've been "at a cross roads" for ages now. We're still at a crossroads.

"cross roads"
    "turnin point"
    "worrying trend"
    "still only the beginning..."

All buzzwords used by the media to cause fear and panic, media are loving this , they are making a fortune on the clicks.

s1ippy wrote: »
    Wtf is that website

Author is former head of infectious diseases with Pfizer. Credible enough for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Its like a scene out of Contagion they way he's going on

A killer virus on the loose and we will all be lined up one by one getting vaccinated soon

What are the government going to do when the majority dont want to get that 1st generation vaccine in the New Year and cases are still rising with the vaccine out there?

Most of the people I know under 35 wont be getting that vaccine unless forced to

They won't be in a position to get in early 2021 unless they're frontline workers, so don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Dead in the brain is accepting without question or evidence, everything this government is doing.
    There's a sizable portion of the medical and legal profession who have the same feeling about what's going on.
    The Government are running rough shot over us and you can't see it or else you think it's perfectly acceptable.

Don't try and lump someone who looks for evidence, facts and
    expects measurable outcomes from government policy into the 5G, anti vaxx brigade I'm far from that, I won't be first in line for this vaxx though, I'll leave that up to braves like your good self.

There's plenty of evidence for what is being decided upon. It's you spreading all sorts with no backing.

• Advertisement

"cross roads"
    "turnin point"
    "worrying trend"
    "still only the beginning..."

All buzzwords used by the media to cause fear and panic, media are loving this , they are making a fortune on the clicks.

This has been a boon for media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

No we didn't, we let it rip through nursing homes, our deaths would be a third of what they are now if we had locked them down. We ****ed up back then and we are ****ing up right now.

This is it exactly. We fcuked up back then and are fcuking up now as well. So I am worried that we might see what happened in Italy while living with covid and the flu.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54227057

Fair play to them, people won't tolerate a 2nd lockdown ... especially now with the evidence that they don't work.
    We need to look to Sweden for inspiration ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

I’ll be getting the vaccine as soon as I can. When faced with serious illness or death, whatever the vaccine might do is better than those options.

They won't be in a position to get in early 2021 unless they're frontline workers, so don't worry.

Tell that to Tubridy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

That will be interesting trying to get all the nurses to take the vaccine judging by their previous aversion to the annual flu jabs.

www.nytimes.com/2020/09/18/opinion/coronavirus-fall-winter.amp.html

Interesting op-ed about dealing with this coronavirus going into Autumn/ Winter from a US perspective. Also talks about difference between NY and Madrid. NY has very little cases and has been cautious to wind back restrictions unlike Madrid. They also have strict travel ban and a robust contact tracing and testing of reigme. Positivity rate is lower than 1% there.

jackboy wrote: »
    That will be interesting trying to get all the nurses to take the vaccine judging by their previous aversion to the annual flu jabs.

They'll have to make it mandatory like hepa b etc

Most hospital staff will refuse its voluntary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Look at deaths as a metric ....

I just did.

It's not going well.

This is it exactly. We fcuked up back then and are fcuking up now as well. So I am worried that we might see what happened in Italy while living with covid and the flu.

The thing about Italy was it happened in a region of Italy not the whole country, a region which had one of the oldest populations in Europe, with no warning. It won't happen here.

• Advertisement

GooglePlus wrote: »
    There's plenty of evidence for what is being decided upon. It's you spreading all sorts with no backing.

Right you've just said there's plenty of evidence, What evidence...show me the evidence used to justify the current lockdown in Dublin. What's the expected outcome based on the data.
    There is no evidence.

Right you've just said there's plenty of evidence, What evidence...show me the evidence used to justify the current lockdown in Dublin. What's the expected outcome based on the data.
    There is no evidence.

Expected outcome, unless Dublin get their sh:t together will be level 4 lockdown.......

Not a hope, it'll be the Borris, Putin, Trump or Xi vaccine. Nurses will be striking with the teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Fair play to them, people won't tolerate a 2nd lockdown ... especially now with the evidence that they don't work.

What evidence is there that they don't work?
    Look to Sweden? You do realize, despite the fact Sweden is behind most of Europe as they had a flatter curve, they still have been taking precautions.
    Just because the government there was unable to legally force a lockdown, the people did actually follow government guidelines.

So your solution is to follow Sweden by following the very same guidelines which the government here have been asking us to do all along?
    The very fact people are not adhering to the guidelines is the very reason for the majority of new cases we're seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Very low numbers for a population of 10 million for a deadly virus.

580/million according to Worldometers. That's just behind Italy at 591. Obviously those figures don't take into account what they are taking as Coronavirus deaths, but being just a bit behind Italy would be a good place to be, imo. Ireland is 362.

I'm certainly all for vaccines but I won't be rushing to get it.

It'll be frontline workers, those with underlying conditions, the elderly, before the rest of us have the opportunity to take the vaccine, so you won't have to worry about that.

screamer wrote: »
    Expected outcome, unless Dublin get their sh:t together will be level 4 lockdown.......

There kind of in trouble, Government want more testing, more testing equals more cases. More cases Dublin is going into deep freeze.
    Can't see how Dubs can get out of this one in a hurry.

Every year more and more HCW's get the flu jab. It used to be a very low take up, but their aiming for 75% uptake this year.

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Tell that to Tubridy

Tubridy's an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Cork numbers today related to a large cluster apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    And it only took 5865 deaths to get them there. They're also about five weeks behind the rest of Europe in reaching a first trough, so cases may well hit a surge yet.
    As you well know the best available way to look at deaths is per 100K population,and on that basis Sweden is doing a lot better than many developed countries.I have read post after post here over the last few months condemning Sweden with over the top language,one poster a few days ago calling the authorities murderers.Who knows how it will pan out for Sweden in the coming months, but it remains a strong possibility that their approach may end up as good if not better than most other countries.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    What evidence is there that they don't work?
    Look to Sweden? You do realize, despite the fact Sweden is behind most of Europe as they had a flatter curve, they still have been taking precautions.
    Just because the government there was unable to legally force a lockdown, the people did actually follow government guidelines.

So your solution is to follow Sweden by following the very same guidelines which the government here have been asking us to do all along?
    The very fact people are not adhering to the guidelines is the very reason for the majority of new cases we're seeing.

The Swedes are all trusting in their public health/ government decisions. They follow what they’re told to do and that’s it. I was watching a documentary on it before and it was amazing that they put their faith in the decision makers as they do. However, it seems to have worked unlike in Ireland where we have a cohort who just do whatever the hell they like. We can’t compare ourselves to Sweden, our cultures are vastly different.

screamer wrote: »
    The Swedes are all trusting in their public health/ government decisions. They follow what they’re told to do and that’s it. I was watching a documentary on it before and it was amazing that they put their faith in the decision makers as they do. However, it seems to have worked unlike in Ireland where we have a cohort who just do whatever the hell they like. We can’t compare ourselves to Sweden, our cultures are vastly different.

The poster saying we should follow Sweden is just ironic based on the fact that the trouble we're facing now is mainly down to people not following the guidelines etc... So it's impossible to follow Sweden for that reason.

Do you know where, anything to do with Ballincollig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

Every year more and more HCW's get the flu jab. It used to be a very low take up, but their aiming for 75% uptake this year.

For years now the nurses have been mostly against the flu jab. Only very recently have the numbers increased to a significant total. If the Covid vaccine comes out, it will be a new vaccine and the nurses will be expected to take it first. Let’s get real, there will be lots of objections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Watching Dublin media and people implode while us rednecks are having creamy pints tomorrow will be priceless.

A lot of people can manage without pints on a Monday, too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Where's the cluster or do you know more?

The poster saying we should follow Sweden is just ironic based on the fact that the trouble we're facing now is mainly down to people not following the guidelines etc... So it's impossible to follow Sweden for that reason.

So what's the plan, people can't follow restrictions and have house parties. Let's shut down restaurants and put 50k out of work. No other country has followed this approach in Europe but the crowd we have in charge decide they know better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

It’s like 2009 all over again, except we were being told repeatedly by the finance minister that we’ve turned a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

Why, I wonder? Why not go a little further west and look at Norway? 49 deaths per million people compared to 580 for Sweden.

So what's the plan, people can't follow restrictions and have house parties. Let's shut down restaurants and put 50k out of work. No other country has followed this approach in Europe but the crowd we have in charge decide they know better.

I don't know what the plan is. But suggesting a plan to follow Sweden knowing full well that the reason we're getting new cases is because we're not following guidelines, so the new plan will be to..... follow guidelines? Yeah cause it will work second time around.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭CiarraiManc

Get the riot squad to crack a few skulls and beat some sense into them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Any evidence of this?

It’s like 2009 all over again, except we were being told repeatedly by the finance minister that we’ve turned a corner.

Ooh 2009 I'm guessing a lot of the people in fear have short memory's.

5,400 new swine flu cases diagnosed this week
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0106/296171-swineflu/

How the CMO got caught out with another pandemic is worth questioning, we should have been prepared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Ce he sin wrote: »
    Why, I wonder? Why not go a little further west and look at Norway? 49 deaths per million people compared to 580 for Sweden.

While there is clearly a difference in deaths, it is at least interesting to see Norway have climbing numbers again in a similar curve to us, while Sweden do not. Will they reach 500 deaths per million eventually? Who knows? Probably not quite as bad with treatments improving. Maybe they can stave it off with cyclical lockdowns too. But if the vaccine takes far longer, mental health and economy damage *may* outweigh it.

I’m not say I agree with either approach tbh, I don’t know what’s correct, I’m just as frustrated with this whole thing being a wait-and-see exercise. But to look at deaths in isolation isn’t the whole picture.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Job going here for TY student if you know anyone interested.

https://careers.ryanair.com/search/#job/163f1c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

“The statement added that no breaches of regulations were detected and officers maintained a presence in the area.” :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

“The statement added that no breaches of regulations were detected and officers maintained a presence in the area.” :confused:

feel sorry for the ordinary residents there. state of the place after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭lulublue22

From the 3 schools affected in Ballincollig ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

The lads in Oliver Bond have been at this all summer, why is it a surprise now?

How long until they move rest of Ireland to level 3? Realistically they have to do it at some stage why not soon to curb the spread completely? If it's this bad in Dublin it will get out to the other counties

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement