Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I was at a concert in croke park a good few years ago, held on for a few minutes to let the crowd disperse all around us was covered in needles.
    I'm happy to see young folk taking laughing gas rather than heroin. Yea I know it's against public health advice before you go off on one.

That didn't happen anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Worth reading the article not the headline:

Indeed.....
    An analysis by the International Air Transport Association published in August identified four cases of possible transmission on aircraft. Among them was a March 2 flight from Britain to Vietnam on which one symptomatic passenger is likely to have transmitted the virus to 15 other people, according to a study published Friday in the CDC journal. Most of them were sitting close to the symptomatic passenger in business class, but people elsewhere on the plane also tested positive.

526981.jpeg

https://twitter.com/AliNouriPhD/status/1307764551832793093?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

CDC How it spreads

Through respiratory droplets or small particles, such as those in aerosols, produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, sings, talks, or breathes.
    These particles can be inhaled into the nose, mouth, airways, and lungs and cause infection. This is thought to be the main way the virus spreads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

lawred2 wrote: »
    That didn't happen anyway

When we look back in another 15yrs at the Guards breaking up a rave in the first 48hrs of Lockdown II and you tell people the ground was littered with laughing gas i'm sure a few won't believe it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Surely this is an impossibility the HEPA filters is like Kryptonite to the virus, boom!!! it sucks it right out of your filthy infected body. ;)

I have a client who sometimes flies commercial planes in his spare time. He actually thinks the COVID stuff was being blown out of proportion when I was last talking to him in the summer (before it kicked off where he lives in USA). But he’s always maintained the filtration system on planes isn’t worth crap against this virus.

It’s like the schools, only worse as far as I’m concerned. The problem with this sort of thing for me is that there’s been plenty of time to prove one way or another how safe planes are but there’s been very little desire to do so. That says to me they don’t want to know or they know and don’t want the results to get out. There are elements like this and schools etc that make trusting authorities that bit harder. I’d prefer honesty and trusting people to make their own decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Is this new?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Nice bit of comic relief with the U2 junky stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

When we look back in another 15yrs at the Guards breaking up a rave in the first 48hrs of Lockdown II and you tell people the ground was littered with laughing gas i'm sure a few won't believe it either.

Yeah, but you will be telling people it was crack cocaine and a Daniel O'Donnell concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Nephet considering using Japan's method of contact tracing(retrospective tracing to source).

Nephet have been using prospective tracing which is tracing who is likely to become infected up to now.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/irish-officials-consider-tracing-method-that-helped-japan-avoid-lockdowns-39547376.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Luke O’Neill on Pat Kenny’s show. He is now saying that surfaces are not that important in spreading the virus and the hand washing is not such a big deal.
    This the same guy who told us not too long ago that wearing masks was pretty much useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Luke O’Neill on Pat Kenny’s show. He is now saying that surfaces are not that important in spreading the virus and the hand washing is not such a big deal.
    This the same guy who told us not too long ago that wearing masks was pretty much useless.

Hmm...and where do we pickup the virus on our hands from? Yep surfaces. Course we can’t disinfect everything we touch out and about so hams washing and sanitising is important, but make no mistake Covid can linger on some of the most inhospitable surfaces for a long time, and even longer as the temperatures drop....
    Anyways, I’m sure he’s worried, he just sold some company he co founded for 380million quid. That some spread there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Phoenix Park is empty of cars this morning.

Only those told to be at work are going.

Most People and organization's will listen to and adhere to the advice.

That is why the message has to be crystal clear and easy to comprehend which it has not been recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

GooglePlus wrote: »
    D car registration is fairly common outside of Dublin.

A lot of company cars are D regs. Also, commuters from outside Dublin often buy second hand cars in garages around Dublin. 1 in 4 cars in Ireland is a D reg.

A lot of company cars are D regs. Also, commuters from outside Dublin often buy second hand cars in garages around Dublin.

And many Dubs live in Kildare, Meath. Wicklow, and Louth. And they may or may not have D reg cars.

A lot of company cars are D regs. Also, commuters from outside Dublin often buy second hand cars in garages around Dublin.

The kids in the playground were wearing Leinster facemasks, considering the accents, cars and masks I'm pretty sure they were dubs in the wild.

Is this new?

New to the Irish gov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

GooglePlus wrote: »
    D car registration is fairly common outside of Dublin.

Being from down the country, I always like to drive a D reg.
    That way, if I'm in a wrong lane or make an illegal turn in Dublin, other drivers think "ah good man, couldn't be bothered obeying the road signage" rather than "what a moron, can't even read a road sign".

screamer wrote: »
    Hmm...and where do we pickup the virus on our hands from? Yep surfaces. Course we can’t disinfect everything we touch out and about so hams washing and sanitising is important, but make no mistake Covid can linger on some of the most inhospitable surfaces for a long time, and even longer as the temperatures drop....
    Anyways, I’m sure he’s worried, he just sold some company he co founded for 380million quid. That some spread there.

We should minimize the surfaces we touch with a viral load then instead we've mandated to increase them by millions a day.
    Seems to be working well. Thanks Luke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

screamer wrote: »

It seems to me that most people who might develop symptoms, like coughing, tend to not be out and about. Yes, the virus can just be expelled by breathing, but I can't imagine it gets too far to say, land on a bottle of milk which you will then pick up and then stick your fingers in your mouth. I mean, of course its possible, but I'd say very very little of the infections are passed on that way.

My suspicion has always been just people chatting. And Irish people love a good chat. I do think that masks prevent the virus coming out in big droplets, but most of them fall to the ground pretty quickly, and you are unlikely to inhale them if you are a few steps back from the person. I don't think that one-ply cloth masks (which 90% of people wear) prevent you from breathing out the aerosol droplets - they may just redirect the droplets upwards or sideways instead of straight at the person you are talking to, which I suppose is a help. Cloth masks certainly don't prevent you from breathing in the aerosol droplets.

So if you stop to chat to someone, especially indoors, even if you are both wearing masks, I think there's a good chance the virus could be passed on. But really, where it is probably passed on from household to household is in restaurants/cafes/pubs/houses, where customers/visitors don't wear masks. A good hour of chats, probably half a metre apart in an indoor setting...sure it'd be a miracle if you didn't catch it.

As much as it sucks, it's a good idea that indoor dining in Dublin is closed for three weeks. I do think that it'll have a good impact on infections. Problem is of course once it's opened again in three weeks infections will go back up.

C'mon Pfizer...the sooner the better...

• Advertisement

He'll be telling us to drink our own wee next.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

That guy literally changes his tune with the weather:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

My attempt at getting the flu vaccine:
    Thank you for your answers.

Your answers tell us that you are not in one of the groups recommended by the HSE to get a flu vaccination this season. As there is limited flu vaccine stock for people not in an at-risk or recommended group unfortunately the service is now restricted to those with a pre-paid voucher.

Please contact your local Boots pharmacy to speak to a pharmacist who will discuss your eligibility to continue with the service.

Surely having a plentiful supply of this should be a high priority...given the billions we're already spending on this health crisis..

jojofizzio wrote: »
    That guy literally changes his tune with the weather:rolleyes:

Maybe there should be a new station - Covid FM - where all these experts can come together and theorise together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://twitter.com/mhdksafa/status/1307338745864237058?s=20

Turns out he made it up ...

https://twitter.com/mhdksafa/status/1307708677806317568?s=20

This is a UN guy .... and sadly a lot of people are lapping it up and don't realise it's made up.

Imagine the type of person that would pretend their daughter died , to fearmonger.

sick sick sick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

That guy is off his rocker. I remember him laughing and joking on the late late show months ago when this all kicked off telling everyone it's nothing to be worried about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Me neither but that's what was on the ground close to where we all were. I remember it clearly, it was one of those jesus christ moments. I didn't see anyone shooting up but must have been a gang of them.

It was better when you kept your nonsense to the restrictions thread, we knew avoiding that avoided bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

This is a UN guy .... and sadly a lot of people are lapping it up and don't realise it's made up.

Imagine the type of person that would pretend their daughter died , to fearmonger.

sick sick sick

That is one perverted man. Fear is already is at a level that is causing damage without this nonsense on top of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

AdamD wrote: »
    My attempt at getting the flu vaccine:

Surely having a plentiful supply of this should be a high priority...given the billions we're already spending on this health crisis..

I thought everyone could get the flu vaccine if they wanted it. Is this not the case?

• Advertisement

That guy is off his rocker. I remember him laughing and joking on the late late show months ago when this all kicked off telling everyone it's nothing to be worried about.

It's hard to take him seriously, seems to just jump on the most popular bandwagon of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Same on Newstalk around April/May. No idea why he's given a platform to spout such shyte.

Hurrache wrote: »
    It was better when you kept your nonsense to the restrictions thread, we knew avoiding that avoided bull****.

I think we've moved on from U2, you shouldn't get stuck in a moment.

sick sick sick

He is not UN staff - he is the representative of an NGO to the UN.

I suggest you get out today - It’s a Beautiful Day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Drumpot wrote: »
    I have a client who sometimes flies commercial planes in his spare time. He actually thinks the COVID stuff was being blown out of proportion when I was last talking to him in the summer (before it kicked off where he lives in USA). But he’s always maintained the filtration system on planes isn’t worth crap against this virus.

It’s like the schools, only worse as far as I’m concerned. The problem with this sort of thing for me is that there’s been plenty of time to prove one way or another how safe planes are but there’s been very little desire to do so. That says to me they don’t want to know or they know and don’t want the results to get out. There are elements like this and schools etc that make trusting authorities that bit harder. I’d prefer honesty and trusting people to make their own decisions.

I have said this many times.

HEPA filters are used in Laboratory safety cabinets and in Molecular Analysers that require positive pressure to prevent contamination, they are good at cleaning particles out of the air.

But the air that comes out of the overhead nozzle is like the perfectly clean water out of firemans hose spraying a dirty street....once it hits debris it will just pick it up and transports further down the street contaminating everything in its way.

There is a nozzle above every seat blowing air on heads picking up contamination a bit like mini cyclone inside a Dyson vacuum cleaner.

It’s common sense, only a gullible fool would fall for O’Leary’s marketing spin that HEPA filters are the worlds saviour from virus.

• Advertisement

Hey guys, I was making nonsense up, got called and mocked on it, so lets move on with my U2 pun and pretend I never said it...

Hey guys, I was making nonsense up, got called and mocked on it, so lets move on with my U2 pun and pretend I never said it...

Look what ever your into yourself, I was there and that's what I noticed when the crowd dispersed, I've no reason to make up something like that. If you could kindly move along now it's yesterdays news and your just trolling now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Some reports in UK media that Johnson will announce restrictions for UK tomorrow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

It's hard to take him seriously, seems to just jump on the most popular bandwagon of the day.

That should have finished his career off but for some bizarre reason he's a regular in the media to this day. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Can you explain how there were little to no cases in nursing homes for about 3 weeks after they finally banned visitors? How did it get in if there were no visitors?

Via staff - that's clear now.

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    Some reports in UK media that Johnson will announce restrictions for UK tomorrow

Interesting that restrictions go down well with his base - usually when those restrictions are elsewhere particularly disadvantaged areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Eod100 wrote: »

That is the UK except Dominick Cummings.......I presume?

What about the residents that Holohan sent back to the homes Covid Positive (without test) from Hospital in order to clear beds for the younger population?

How on earth can you say Holohan sent them back. Hes the CMO - he doesn't run hospitals or nursing homes.

Look what ever your into yourself, I was there and that's what I noticed when the crowd dispersed, I've no reason to make up something like that. If you could kindly move along now it's yesterdays news and your just trolling now.

LOL, I'm trolling by serving up your own words back to you? I'm happy to move on, you've proven yourself to be a liar on numerous occasions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

How long will it take Ireland to make this news official so that we can make better plans like perhaps mandatory masks in all indoor public places. There's still factories operating without face masks and offices aren't included in the government's list of where to wear a mask.

LOL, I'm trolling by serving up your own words back to you? I'm happy to move on, you've proven yourself to be a liar on numerous occasions.

Do it move on, I'm not lying stop trolling.

The Tipp county final was a great game yesterday but the scenes afterwards make me worry we won't see much more games this year. I know a first county means so much but fellas hugging, back slapping, etc as if social distancing doesn't matter at a match can only lead to problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Just caught a couple of minutes of NewsTalk with Pat Kenny and Luck O'Neill chatting while I was in a shop this morning. O'Neill said that only 1 in 5 people who test positive are actually infectious! That's a pretty significant claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jusvi2001

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    And it only took 5865 deaths to get them there. They're also about five weeks behind the rest of Europe in reaching a first trough, so cases may well hit a surge yet.

Many of them died with Covid not from Covid. they had underlying conditions as well. Look at the death rate in ireland during flu season. lot of the elderly people with underlying conditions wont survive even with a chest infection. unfortunately there is no accurate data to show death rate from covid.

Measures should be taken according to scientific evidence and data. Politicians often take decisions to save their government from backlash.

Lockdown not only crashing economy but affecting people with health conditions other than covid waiting for diagnosis , procedures, etc. mental health, depression , domestic abuse and list goes on...

How long will it take Ireland to make this news official so that we can make better plans like perhaps mandatory masks in all indoor public places. There's still factories operating without face masks and offices aren't included in the government's list of where to wear a mask.

Until when, a vaccine arrives, we need a certain amount of herd immunity even with a vaccine. Dragging this out for as long as possible doesn't seem like a correct strategy. There's certain people who need to protect themselves, that is on them. The rest of us should carry on as normal and get that immunity as quick as possible. We've made a mistake by not doing this while we had good weather.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement