Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I don't want to alarm]

Me neither but i'd ask could it be sepsis, possible infection from use of sm. Legionnaire's a good call with the shower.
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/who/cspd/ncps/sepsis/

If it fits any of those symptoms ring a&e don't wait for a Covid
    test it's a lot more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

@ growleaves
    Nah, just hit cap by mistake , sorry sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭blowitupref

HSE Operations report

53 in hosptial as of 8pm. Increase of 2.

7 in ICU 6 of whom are ventilated. No change.

11 cases diagnosed in hosptials today.

2 in Drogheda & Mayo.
    1 each in Beaumont, CHI Crumlin, Mater, Portlaoise, Vincent's, Tallaght, UHL.

From a quick look a few discharges across the system today but doesn't appear to be too many additional admissions.

Overall this time last week there was 47 cases in hosptial of which 7 were in ICU. Not a massive change week on week. Certainly lower than had been seen in previous 2 weeks
    Only a few days ago Mayo hospital had gone 92 days without a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Goldengirl wrote: »
    @ growleaves
    Nah, just hit cap by mistake , sorry sir!

I was only asking as an excuse for a pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Polar101 wrote: »
    Without knowing anything about Teneo, my prediction is that they'll do the announcement better than minister Donnelly.

Anyone see Tenet yet?

• Advertisement

growleaves wrote: »
    I was only asking as an excuse for a pun.

Excuse my pun in reply :pac:

And Lovely Leitrim had none until a few days back too.

Must be blowing West , as per Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Looney1

Anyone read anything into Leo's no lock down "if possible" quote

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Polar101 wrote: »
    Without knowing anything about Teneo, my prediction is that they'll do the announcement better than minister Donnelly.

TD Alan Kelly's brother's company

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Looney1 wrote: »

I’ve always wondered when governments say no more lockdowns, while welcome, what’s their plan if ICU and surge capacity fill up and collapse the healthcare system. Things are looking stable and hopefully nowhere goes back to that level, but at that point what happens? Especially in a country that cannot afford any more restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

Because this is about personal responsibility now, which means it’s all about persuasion and messaging, and so they need better advice on that than they’ve clearly been getting to date

Well lads I reckon if we are at the point of still trying to get the message through then we are goosed no matter who tells us , that’s a waste of taxpayers money

The problem isn’t the messaging even tho it has been sparse from the government it’s literally fatigue of covid everyone is sick of it , I dunno why NPHET don’t keep up the messaging to us personally and let us off , if we keep up our own personal responsibilities that should be enough to keep a lot of people safe

I genuinely think I'd tear Donnelly to bits (with words, duh) if given 5 minutes with him

But could you out jump him on a trampoline :D

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

owlbethere wrote: »
    I never agree with you on anything but this, I do. There comes a time where we need to stop relying on the government to bail us out from this health crisis. It all mow comes down to the actions of each and every single one of us. It's such a pity that many people don't care about the spread of this virus and they flaunt guidelines. Everything I did over the past few months following the guidelines, I did it not only for myself and my own health in mind but also that of my families and friends and work. I saw that I had a civil duty to try my best not to catch this and not spread it.

i agree,i have had loads say "ah its just a bad flu".yeah ok if you get it come back to me and say same,no one wants this **** in the house,and thing is after 16 days i still think we are lucky here no matter how bad it has been,well god help the unlucky ones..its a mental situation..

How did the school case get it, start?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Anyone see Tenet yet?

A film about a man who believes he is preventing the destruction of the human race by entering into a strange twilight world....so basically just your typical boards covid forum poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

growleaves wrote: »
    A film about a man who believes he is preventing the destruction of the human race by entering into a strange twilight world....so basically just your typical boards covid forum poster.
    whats this about a twilight world??how do i get there:):):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

HSE Operations report

53 in hosptial as of 8pm. Increase of 2.

7 in ICU 6 of whom are ventilated. No change.

11 cases diagnosed in hosptials today.

2 in Drogheda & Mayo.
    1 each in Beaumont, CHI Crumlin, Mater, Portlaoise, Vincent's, Tallaght, UHL.

From a quick look a few discharges across the system today but doesn't appear to be too many additional admissions.

Overall this time last week there was 47 cases in hosptial of which 7 were in ICU. Not a massive change week on week. Certainly lower than had been seen in previous 2 weeks

8 Additional admissions over the past 7 days compared to the preceding 7 days, so it's growing, but in no way is it unpredictable.
    If/when it starts spreading to an older demographic, you could easily increase the number of admissions and the duration of stay, meaning the numbers in hospital could grow much quicker (more admissions as a % of new cases and less frequent discharges)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Only if it was a movie quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Tested negative thank god . 31 hours from test to result. Not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

akelly02 wrote: »
    Tested negative thank god . 31 hours from test to result. Not bad

Good news - how long from referral to test?

• Advertisement

TD Alan Kelly's brother's company

Connections Everywhere :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I’ve always wondered when governments say no more lockdowns, while welcome, what’s their plan if ICU and surge capacity fill up and collapse the healthcare system. Things are looking stable and hopefully nowhere goes back to that level, but at that point what happens? Especially in a country that cannot afford any more restrictions.

It's a bit laughable when they say it simply won't happen, no matter what - if they've tried everything else and nothing is working and the hospitals are filling up, then, of course, they'll have to hit the lockdown button.

Now, please don't confuse that as me thinking it's likely. I believe they'll try absolutely everything else beforehand - full lockdown would really be the absolute no other option option and I think we've a few tools to use before we get there. And I don't think the situation is comparable to March, when we had an epidemic of unknown size and severity and quick action was the only option.

There is a certain slow remorseless quality to the way cases are increasing, but it isn't rapidly - as of yet - disintegrating on a daily basis and I think we're definitely picking up many, many cases that would have otherwise not been detected at earlier stages of the pandemic.

I hope we can get a handle on it, but I'd be lying if I said I felt tremendous confidence about it. A lot of bad factors are coming together at precisely the wrong time: a just about high enough level of the virus circulating in the community, message fatigue and misinformation, more people interacting, schools going back, colleges going back, pubs about to re-open, the totally predictable strain put on our testing and tracing system the instant that schools went back and to top it all off a lack of leadership and purpose from the government which has increasingly become distracted by shortsighted political expediency. Oh, and Winter on the way too. It's all perfectly poised for a potential shit show - but, hey, maybe it won't happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I think the point is he said 'If possible', he's not bull****ting saying no lock downs ever again. The government don't want another as much as the public. Everyone agreed initially, we needed the first one. A new virus, causing so much death in our European neighbors, the public was calling for a lock down before we got one.
    Now people don't want another, neither does the government.

I believe Leo is just telling people, another lockdown is our last resort. He's not trying to scare, more the opposite, I think he want's people being positive and not be worrying about a lockdown.

People need to realize, the burden is not on the government, it's on the public. It's the public spreading it and it's the public suppressing it. If people expect do get back to normal, cases rise, lockdown happens, we suppress it and then rinse and repeats..... they are mistaken.

You mention restrictions, you should be thinking when does the public take responsibility of their actions. Restrictions are a sledge hammer to crack a nut, personal responsibility is using a nut cracker.
    And yes, either way, a nut gets cracked, it's painful!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Good news - how long from referral to test?

1 hour

• Registered Users Posts: 35,998 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

2 day total lock down every week would have a good effect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

2 day total lock down every week would have a good effect

You need to change your username to BourneTobyOverlyCautious

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

‘Draconian’ restrictions around Covid-19 condemned by HSE doctor
    via The Irish Times
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/draconian-restrictions-around-covid-19-condemned-by-hse-doctor-1.4352701

Not sure if this has been shared - well put and makes use of the actual data available. Articles like this will go a long way to change people’s perceptions.

Arghus wrote: »
    It's a bit laughable when they say it simply won't happen, no matter what - if they've tried everything else and nothing is working and the hospitals are filling up, then, of course, they'll have to hit the lockdown button.

Now, please don't confuse that as me thinking it's likely. I believe they'll try absolutely everything else beforehand - full lockdown would really be the absolute no other option option and I think we've a few tools to use before we get there. And I don't think the situation is comparable to March, when we had an epidemic of unknown size and severity and quick action was the only option.

There is a certain slow remorseless quality to the way cases are increasing, but it isn't rapidly - as of yet - disintegrating on a daily basis and I think we're definitely picking up many, many cases that would have otherwise not been detected at earlier stages of the pandemic.

I hope we can get a handle on it, but I'd be lying if I said I felt tremendous confidence about it. A lot of bad factors are coming together at precisely the wrong time: a just about high enough level of the virus circulating in the community, message fatigue and misinformation, more people interacting, schools going back, colleges going back, pubs about to re-open, the totally predictable strain put on our testing and tracing system the instant that schools went back and to top it all off a lack of leadership and purpose from the government which has increasingly become distracted by shortsighted political expediency. Oh, and Winter on the way too. It's all perfectly poised for a potential shit show - but, hey, maybe it won't happen?

They don’t wanna pay the PUP payment to anyone redundant after mid September.

Therefore you cant really lockdown again unless they are willing to pay people.

Lockdown is no longer an option. Country is on its knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Always_Running

‘Draconian’ restrictions around Covid-19 condemned by HSE doctor
    via The Irish Times
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/draconian-restrictions-around-covid-19-condemned-by-hse-doctor-1.4352701

Not sure if this has been shared - well put and makes use of the actual data available. Articles like this will go a long way to change people’s perceptions.

Any concrete evidence that the so called herd immunity plan works? even Sweden seemed to have given up on that strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

They don’t wanna pay the PUP payment to anyone redundant after mid September.

Therefore you cant really lockdown again unless they are willing to pay people.

Lockdown is no longer an option. Country is on its knees.

There's been an enormous economic hit, but the country isn't quite "on its knees" - the contraction of 6% got everyone's attention, but to put it in context the contraction in average GDP across the Eurozone was 12%. The story that our economy is fundamentally more thrashed than many other economies isn't really true if you look at the actual figures.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/negative-narrative-around-irish-economy-is-fundamental-misreading-1.4351777?mode=amp

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/john-fitzgerald-economy-shows-resilience-in-teeth-of-pandemic-1.4351817?mode=amp

Just to be clear, again, I don't predict another lockdown - everything else will be done to avoid it first, but to totally dismiss it all possible circumstances is to be naive. There's always a possibility, even if it seems remote. It's already been done, it can be done again. It would be a disaster, a complete failure that will hopefully never come to pass - but if, somehow, we find ourselves back in a situation like March, don't be surprised. The government wouldn't have thought they could afford to do it then either, but they had to in the end because they had no choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement