Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Comments

Longing wrote: »
    A deal with a German lab to create “surge capacity” to carry out up to 2,000 additional Covid-19 tests a day. If required. So it looks like we will be waiting on numbers from Germany once again. This will make cases more sporadic when they start coming back.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/struggling-hse-agrees-deal-with-german-lab-to-boost-covid-19-testing-capacity-1.4359975

You would imagine they would direct the monitoring testing to the German labs and keep the irish labs for the hospital, symptomatic and close contact testing which is more likely to be positive requiring quicker action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

And the assumption by idiots like inebriated primate believe that the other 66% of society can just get on with unfettered while leaving these "undesirables to fend for themselves. None of whom of course have any children, grandchildren, spouses, siblings or hold employment positions important to our society and economy in this idiotic fantasy world.

You completely misunderstand my view, they need to be protected and should be until we can build immunity if that's even possible to achieve. Looking at Sweden it seems possible now we know what mistakes to avoid.
    One of the suggestion was that care home staff cut all outside contacts for 8 weeks while this blows through. Maybe look at something similar for health care staff.
    I'm in no way advocating throwing the vunrable to the dogs. Just exploring different ideas instead of this whack a mole government strategy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Subtract all of those people from the total population and you're talking about 60% of people left, maybe even less. Assuming you can even shield successfully, which is utterly impossible. What does that do?

The economy and society wouldn't be able to function properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Roger_007 wrote: »
    There is far too much emphasis on a vaccine being only months away. We have no guarantee of that. No vaccine has ever been successfully developed for any coronavirus.
    Even if some kind of vaccine is put on the market in the short term, it could not be guaranteed to be safe because it takes many years to prove that a vaccine is both safe and effective. This is because new vaccines can have long term side effects which don’t become obvious immediately. There is also the probability of manufacturing defects in the early stages of mass production.
    If a vaccine became available tomorrow, I would not be rushing out to get it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058062347

A vaccine is on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Keep on trolling, welcome to my ignore list your in good company.

Facts, to be ignored. It's how you operate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

MadYaker wrote: »
    Paul Reid from the HSE reckons this adds up to about a third of the population.

When all this is over, we seriously need to look at how unhealthy we are as a nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Whe all this is over, we seriously need to look at how unhealthy we are as a nation.

I've just read obesity levels are on the rise here, I'm in no way surprised. Time for a cycle I reckon, have to work off all those €9 meals from the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

What about 20 year olds who are healthy? Look what happened to this 20 something year old who was healthy before being hospitalised with covid.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/coronavirus-woman-double-lung-transplant-chicago/

That is one case. There is always a risk with any virus or infection that the organs become inflamed. Nothing new there. Thankfully we haven’t heard anything similar happening in Ireland or even Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

No chance we see a vaccine here before end of 2021 at the absolute earliest

Uhhhh disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

When all this is over, we seriously need to look at how unhealthy we are as a nation.

We probably shouldn't wait until this is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Whe all this is over, we seriously need to look at how unhealthy we are as a nation.

We all seem to have suddenly become aware that as you get older you become more susceptible to all sorts of illnesses and eventually you will get something that you cannot survive.
    There is nothing all that different about Covid19. It’s just another possible cause of death and if you check the statistics on the causes of death for this year it wouldn’t rate very highly on the league table. Cancer, heart disease and strokes will still account for the vast majority of deaths. In fact Covid19 should not be feared all that much because it is so survivable in the vast, vast majority of cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Your at the extreme end there it's highly unlikely that's going to happen, it wouldn't surprise me if that person had CF, Even if they didn't have CF I was surprised they were allowed jump the que.
    Have you another example of it happening in the other 7.594 billion of us?

What do you mean it's highly unlikely that's going to happen?

Because it did happen.

Or are you talking about how special Ireland is and somehow the virus knows if you're Irish or not and if you're Irish, you're grand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

One of the suggestion was that care home staff cut all outside contacts for 8 weeks while this blows through. Maybe look at something similar for health care staff. I'm in no way advocating throwing the vunrable to the dogs. Just exploring different ideas instead of this whack a mole government strategy.
    Very fair of you to tell healthcare workers to lock down while the gob****es who are causing the issue get away with carrying on as they are. Did you think that one through before you posted?

I posted this in the testing thread but didn't get any feedback, hoping someone here can help:

Has anyone had any trouble getting referred for a test?

I phoned the GP this morning because what was a mildly sore throat yesterday has escalated into a nasty cough. The GP is backlogged so I had to fill out an assessment form on their website for a call back, but when I submitted it said that their current call back time is 24 hours.

Did this happen to anyone else? Is there anywhere I can phone to get referred for a test faster?

Any GP can arrange a test, so you could try another. Or wait until after 6pm and contact the out of hours service for your area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Uhhhh disagree

We may have a vaccine. But there is a chance we wont have one in 2021.

Hope isn't a strategy. We need a plan B if a vaccine doesn't happen in 2021.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Because it did happen.

Or are you talking about how special Ireland is and somehow the virus knows if you're Irish or not and if you're Irish, you're grand?

33,000 cases in Ireland. How many have required double lung transplants?

When this is all over we need to look at how dilapidated our health service is and do something about it

Again that's the responsibility of their close family. You have to take personal responsibility as with everything in life. You can't depend on other people as we witness every day.
    Don't misunderstand that and think I'm advocating killing people, it's just a realistic view of the world, at risk people don't need to be told it's up to them they already know it and are taking the necessary precautions.

No, responsibility does not lie with close family. It's my responsibility to protect others around me. The people i live with, my friends, the people I work with. I work with people that has close family members that are vulnerable. Is it ok if I go into work sick because the responsibility lies with the close family members?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Because it did happen.
    Yes but there's a lot of people alas infected now, so you can literally got a "1 in a million" scenario.

What's unknown still is how common serious side effects might be and what they might be. We've reports coming out and some extreme unfortunate cases.

I suspect that the risk isn't as bad as some people fear and higher than others think. I'm a bit risk adverse so I'm taking precautions where I can but I'm not going to shut in either.

• Advertisement

33,000 cases in Ireland. How many have required double lung transplants?

How many more would you like to see infected to find your answer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

When this is all over we need to look at how dilapidated our health service is and do something about it

Looking at both together may pay dividends for one another

Roger_007 wrote: »
    There is far too much emphasis on a vaccine being only months away. We have no guarantee of that. No vaccine has ever been successfully developed for any coronavirus.
    Even if some kind of vaccine is put on the market in the short term, it could not be guaranteed to be safe because it takes many years to prove that a vaccine is both safe and effective. This is because new vaccines can have long term side effects which don’t become obvious immediately. There is also the probability of manufacturing defects in the early stages of mass production.
    If a vaccine became available tomorrow, I would not be rushing out to get it.

Yes there has. There are multiple animal vaccines that are easy and cheap to produce. What it tells us is the the covid vaccine may need to be repeated periodically, but it is technologically feasible.

wellwhynot wrote: »
    That is one case. There is always a risk with any virus or infection that the organs become inflamed. Nothing new there. Thankfully we haven’t heard anything similar happening in Ireland or even Europe.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/05/29/italian-teen-receives-double-lung-transplant-after-his-lungs-are-burnt-out-from-the-coronavirus/

Again how many of the 33,000 infected in Ireland have required a double lung transplant?
    If you have trouble understanding the question let me know and I'll try to phrase it more clearly for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Our spend per capita on health:
    Ireland spends €4,706 per head of population on healthcare, one-third more than the average across 35 member countries of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). The State's spend last year was the seventh highest per person in the OECD.Jun 29, 2018

All we hear is that there is chronic under investment.

We need reform but FF FG Greens wont do it.

The opposition tell us we need to spend more and don't mention reform.

So this government or any potential left wing government wont reform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

We may have a vaccine. But there is a chance we wont have one in 2021.

Hope isn't a strategy. We need a plan B if a vaccine doesn't happen in 2021.

We may have a vaccine next year but the chances are most of us won't have it available to us until the later years. It would be a logistical feat that would outshine any seen in anyone's lifetime if they managed to produce and distribute a vaccine to the levels needed for global herd immunity in such short notice. Even creating that many glass vials to contain the vaccine is a feat in itself!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Nobody wants to take on the incredible inefficiency in the HSE. It'd require likely a lot of lay offs to start with as part of a structural reform and nobody can stomach that battle as the HSE would grind to a halt. At best a plan could be put in place to not re-fill some bureaucratic posts as retirements and so on come up but that'll take a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Hurrache wrote: »
    Fingers in your ears, again.

Not really, these are outlier cases that the media seems obsessed with digging up.

There are lots of horror stories involving otherwise healthy people dying from non covid diseases too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

crossman47 wrote: »
    The Tipp county final was a great game yesterday but the scenes afterwards make me worry we won't see much more games this year. I know a first county means so much but fellas hugging, back slapping, etc as if social distancing doesn't matter at a match can only lead to problems.

Just saw this https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-54233073. GAA games will be halted soon if they don't cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Never has a username been so fitting.

• Advertisement

GooglePlus wrote: »
    We may have a vaccine next year but the chances are most of us won't have it available to us until the later years. It would be a logistical feat that would outshine any seen in anyone's lifetime if they managed to produce and distribute a vaccine to the levels needed for global herd immunity in such short notice. Even creating that many glass vials to contain the vaccine is a feat in itself!

This from Sky News about a vaccine.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-only-one-in-10-to-be-protected-from-covid-19-in-first-year-of-vaccine-use-12072473

Again how many of the 33,000 infected in Ireland have required a double lung transplant?
    If you have trouble understanding the question let me know and I'll try to phrase it more clearly for you.

Ok, let's not talk about 20 year olds needing lung transplants. What about the long haulers. Or are you going to come back and write about your list of friends all ok. Let's not dismiss the long haulers in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

ixoy wrote: »
    Nobody wants to take on the incredible inefficiency in the HSE. It'd require likely a lot of lay offs to start with as part of a structural reform and nobody can stomach that battle as the HSE would grind to a halt. At best a plan could be put in place to not re-fill some bureaucratic posts as retirements and so on come up but that'll take a long time.

They'd be even more uncomfortable getting rid of ineffective frontline workers. Even making the suggestion that they might exist is likely to cause grief.

Ok, let's not talk about 20 year olds needing lung transplants. What about the long haulers. Or are you going to come back and write about your list of friends all ok. Let's not dismiss the long haulers in this.

How many Irish 20 year olds need a double lung transplant, thats a very simple question which for some reason you refuse to answer.

I only know one person that contracted the virus. 62 year old neighbour. She was off work for 2 weeks a few months ago. Back working away no issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Totally. So many Irish people have chosen to live a very unhealthy lifestyle. These people don't care about any one else but themselves. Everyone else needs to pick up the pieces including elderly and genuinely sick people who have to wait months for procedures because hospitals are full of people that shouldn't be there if they followed a healthy lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

How many Irish 20 year olds need a double lung transplant, thats a very simple question which for some reason you refuse to answer.

I only know one person that contracted the virus. 62 year old neighbour. She was off work for 2 weeks a few months ago. Back working away no issues.

Listening to your man Brendan on RTÉ yesterday was an eye opener. Clear agenda to make things out to be worse than they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Our spend per capita on health:

All we hear is that there is chronic under investment.

We need reform but FF FG Greens wont do it.

The opposition tell us we need to spend more and don't mention reform.

Shows how unhealthy this nation is that we have to spend so much on Health compared to other OECD countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Jesus ... so I won't get back to Ireland or travel anywhere for years ... ****n hell ..

Listening to your man Brendan on RTÉ yesterday was an eye opener. Clear agenda to make things out to be worse than they are.

Several here at the same carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Have we any proof yet that immunity lasts more than three months for those who have had the virus?

• Advertisement

Jesus ... so I won't get back to Ireland or travel anywhere for years ... ****n hell ..

I’d trust Trump before I’d trust Sky News, to be honest

One the vulnerable and healthcare workers are vaccinated, the approach will definitely be to let it ride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

It will be way worse. Decades of mismanagement and financial waste have ruined it beyond repair.
    So many vested interests will block progress (e.g. bloated management and unions).

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Now that the pubs are open outside Dublin I think it will be only a few weeks before we run out of body bags. Seriously terrified right now, shaking, I haven’t even been to the shop today. Those bog monkeys outside the M50 are just going to go into an alcoholic stupor as they spread the virus in dark corners of pubs that smell slightly like wee with grubby barren that look like Barry Cowan.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Have we any proof yet that immunity lasts more than three months for those who have had the virus?

Have we any proof it doesn't?

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/studies-show-positive-signs-of-strong-lasting-covid-19-immunity-1.4332233

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Now that the pubs are open outside Dublin I think it will be only a few weeks before we run out of body bags. Seriously terrified right now, shaking, I haven’t even been to the shop today. Those bog monkeys outside the M50 are just going to go into an alcoholic stupor as they spread the virus in dark corners of pubs that smell slightly like wee.

Bog monkeys, Paddy, for feck sake. Surely on a wind up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Now that the pubs are open outside Dublin I think it will be only a few weeks before we run out of body bags. Seriously terrified right now, shaking, I haven’t even been to the shop today. Those bog monkeys outside the M50 are just going to go into an alcoholic stupor as they spread the virus in dark corners of pubs that smell slightly like wee with grubby barren that look like Barry Cowan.

See a therapist. Unhinged.

Bog monkeys, Paddy, for feck sake. Surely on a wind up?

ACE Paddy has been consistent in all his posts. Very entertaining but advisable not to take him seriously.

I'll stop in my local for a drink tonight after work. I'll raise a toast for you. Keep them coming.

• Advertisement

Considering this talk about herd immunity, I gave my reasons to why it's not a good reason.

Please don't ignore what's happening in the world with this virus because it's hasn't happened here just yet. There's still no end in sight and can very much happen here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement