Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think most people can see how serious it can be for some, but the majority it does not impact significantly

It makes no sense to lock down 95% of the population who it does not seriously impact, to protect the other 5%.

Need to protect the vulnerable and crack on - lockdowns will kill a lot more than the actual virus.

We locked the country down in March and now where are we? Pretty much back where we were....

Lockdown doesnt kill, that utter rubbish, a disgustingly disingenuous argument. Back to reality...the virus sure can kill, make very ill, or if not have that personal impact on everyone it’s still spreading as a contagion with potential to kill and make large health casualties.

95% & 5% , any significant facts to back this up ? numbers I’m reading in the uk suggested that closer to 30% die.

Have to be vigilant and disciplined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

You think they lied about face masks? I thought this wasn’t a conspiracy thread

Are you sure it's not, there seems to be a lot of ignorance towards valid sources and studies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Just heard an ad there for Little Mix playing the 3 Arena 28th April...tickets going on sale this Friday. Surely that couldn’t go ahead? Maybe because i’ve already written off this year, April doesn’t seem so far away, so I don’t know what will be different by then.

They’re going on tour, so maybe they could play other European countries, and canceling Dublin wouldn’t be a huge deal, it if came to that. Would be great if we were in a position where things like this can go ahead.

Just to add, I wouldn’t exactly be a fan or anything (though they do have good tunes!), but it’s the first gig I’ve being announced that wasn’t a rescheduled thing, so just wondering how it could all work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

We have had long enough to set up facilities to do more tests rather than sending them to Germany surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Younger people don't see the virus as serious because from day 1 the government made it clear that it only really affects older people and people with underlying health issues.

The government is to blame regarding the attitude of some people towards the virus.

Do you think they should have lied about who it affects?

The government went about this well, they said it is important to maintain caution in order to protect the vulnerable you may pass it on to. I don't see how else you could instill any sense of caution in younger people who will in all likelihood will not experience illness of any severity after contracting covid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Just heard an ad there for Little Mix playing the 3 Arena...tickets going on sale this Friday. Surely that couldn’t go ahead? Maybe because i’ve already written off this year, April doesn’t seem so far away, so I don’t know what will be different by then.

They’re going on tour, so maybe they could play other European countries, and canceling Dublin wouldn’t be a huge deal, it if came to that. Would be great if we were in a position where things like this can go ahead.

Just to add, I wouldn’t exactly be a fan or anything (though they do have good tunes!), but it’s the first gig I’ve being announced that wasn’t a rescheduled thing, so just wondering how it could all work out.

It's a great way to get cashflow and then push the concert down the road with rescheduled dates.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just heard an ad there for Little Mix playing the 3 Arena...tickets going on sale this Friday. Surely that couldn’t go ahead? Maybe because i’ve already written off this year, April doesn’t seem so far away, so I don’t know what will be different by then.
    What's the harm in living in hope that it does go on? April is half a year away and it could all look very different and hopefully will be.

It's not the only thing by the way - Dublin Comic Con has their Spring edition scheduled for mid-March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Strumms wrote: »
    Lockdown doesnt kill, that utter rubbish, a disgustingly disingenuous argument. Back to reality...the virus sure can kill, make very ill, or if not have that personal impact on everyone it’s still spreading as a contagion with potential to kill and make large health casualties.

95% & 5% , any significant facts to back this up ? numbers I’m reading in the uk suggested that closer to 30% die.

Have to be vigilant and disciplined.

30% of what die?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

We have had long enough to set up facilities to do more tests rather than sending them to Germany surely.

We’ve had 3-4 months, 0 increase in capacity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,985 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Heard today that the increase in Cork numbers are related to a workplace cluster in Wilton and a nursing home on the northside of the city

Skibbereen also has a cluster but not sure how true that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

An island thousands of miles from its nearest neighbour with just one government. That sums up NZ.

An island thousands of miles from its nearest neighbour with just one government and that its population will be living fairly normal life. That sums up NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I think we are learning that until a very effective vaccine is available for widespread use that indoor events with people congregated are not viable and come with long term consequences that are not worth it. Pubs and restaurants are not viable business's at the moment and it will be a real struggle for that sector for a number of years. People that argue the herd immunity approach have to acknowledge that the UK and Sweden has changed their approach and with uncertainty surrounding immunity it not really viable either. Suppression of some sort likely for the foreseeable future, the quicker society accept this the better. Rapid testing and quick reliable results also offer good hope for the future.Upscale on effective Testing and treatment also likely to help us get us get better control of super spreading events

I think most people can see how serious it can be for some, but the majority it does not impact significantly

It makes no sense to lock down 95% of the population who it does not seriously impact, to protect the other 5%.

Need to protect the vulnerable and crack on - lockdowns will kill a lot more than the actual virus.

We locked the country down in March and now where are we? Pretty much back where we were....

In countries where the virus is uncontrolled, Brazil and Mexico and the US for example, excess deaths per capita are magnitudes higher than excess deaths in countries like Ireland where there are strict ongoing restrictions. Can you please post some evidence to assert your belief that lockdowns kill more than the virus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

is the beers fella back from holidays or whats the crack ?

ACE maybe have a whip round, testing costs money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

mandrake04 wrote: »
    An island thousands of miles from its nearest neighbour with just one government and that its population will be living fairly normal life. That sums up NZ.

What's the relevance to Ireland though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Heard today that the increase in Cork numbers are related to a workplace cluster in Wilton and a nursing home on the northside of the city

Hopefully that means the clusters will work their way out of the figures in the next few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not, there seems to be a lot of ignorance towards valid sources and studies?

There's your studies based in the real world. https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/masking-lack-of-evidence-with-politics/
    We have completely ignored the danger of secondary transmission once the media went into crazy mode.
    NPHET didn't want face masks used by the general public because of the dangers it was nothing to do with saving them for health care workers, any rag will do and that's not what health professionals were ever using. There are members of NPHET that specifically stated this concern.

We were warned masks could help cases rise, 14 days after the mandate, cases had risen substantially.

It's a policy that needs to be revisited now we have real world data of our own. The mandate was to reduce the spread, it's a failed policy.

What's the relevance to Ireland though?

I would say the relevance at the moment life in NZ is good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

“I’ve got chills, they’re multiplying “

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Skibbereen also has a cluster but not sure how true that is

Did you hear what the cluster relates to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Is the beer baron back today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't know the specifics, but I imagine there are all kinds of contractual obligations here and break clauses and stuff.

Basically whoever blinks first will be left pay to the compensation bill. So until there's official health advice to cancel gigs as far out as next April, it probably works out cheaper for all involved to keep going as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Eod100 wrote: »

Oh here we go... operation fear gets ratcheted up a few notches tonight then

I would say the relevance at the moment life in NZ is good :)

I'm sure the life in Samoa is also great but like NZ it has no relevance to Ireland. Clearly you seem to have an issue understanding this.

April 2020 April 2021 same same

What's this about I'm not getting the joke..GOAT house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Sharp rise in the number of people in hospital over the past week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

What's this about I'm not getting the joke..GOAT house?

Google Goat House Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Fewl

It will be just preaching to the choir. Those that don't give a f**k will carry on not giving a f**k and most likely not RTE viewers.

Google Goat House Dublin

Have you now the ticktock house, heard some of the chaps in it on the radio a couple of weeks ago.

I'm sure the life in Samoa is also great but like NZ it has no relevance to Ireland. Clearly you seem to have an issue understanding this.

Dont care!! just saying life in NZ is pretty sweet coming into summer, Beer gardens, either dine in or out. Plenty of great activities to do. Beats the shit of repeats on netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

People are are a finite resource unfortunately. Tests wont process themselves and positions go unfilled for years never mind 4 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

Dont care!! just saying life in NZ is pretty sweet coming into summer, Beer gardens, either dine in or out. Plenty of great activities to do. Beats the shit of repeats on netflix.

Oh man. It would be so nice just to feck off and spend the next six months there.

People are are a finite resource unfortunately. Tests wont process themselves and positions go unfilled for years never mind 4 months.

Thanks for what you do.

Grand so we both agree that NZ has no relevance to Covid in Ireland
    Btw the NZ health authorities are scrambling to trace the origin of the infection in three individuals. Auckland still under restrictions too, just saying...

Levels of testing are already enormous, I'm literally shocked these days by the amount of tests being performed everyday in Ireland the last few weeks/months. I don't know what level exactly that people will finally be pleased by or what scae they are expecting

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    76 in hospital now. It’s gone up from 20 ish in no time at all.

We should have gone for zero Covid when we had the chance. ( but needed UK in it too).

90 in hospital this morning. Gradual, then sudden.

90 in hospital this morning. Gradual, then sudden.

Any more details on that 90 available?

We're likely to see discharges today. There's none over the weekend.

ICU has reduced by 1, one discharge.

Is a discharge a discharge as in there gone home or just moved back out of ICU?

Its still climbing rapidly ACE. Even if there are discharges today. I'm pretty sure there will be over 100 in hospital by friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Re the zero Covid plan

If NPHET can guarantee that a further lock down of 8 weeks is all that is needed to mean we are back to normal (minus International travel) by Christmas I would go for that. I am ok with the steps needed to do this including closing the border with Northern Ireland in its entirety and having a super strict lock down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Interesting how Italy have managed better than Spain since the first outbreak esrluer in the year.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1308025714445352963?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Is the beer baron back today?

Gone to the pub

Re the zero Covid plan

If NPHET can guarantee that a further lock down of 8 weeks is all that is needed to mean we are back to normal (minus International travel) by Christmas I would go for that. I am ok with the steps needed to do this including closing the border with Northern Ireland in its entirety and having a super strict lock down.

NPHET couldn't guarantee that

8 weeks lockdown would cripple the economy as well

Its still climbing rapidly ACE. Even if there are discharges today. I'm pretty sure there will be over 100 in hospital by friday.
    It's rising rapidly in Dublin.
    The rest of the country is stable at ~25 in hospital.

13th September:
    37 in Dublin
    20 in rest of counties

20th September:
    60 in Dublin
    28 in rest of counties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

bb1234567 wrote:
    Levels of testing are already enormous, I'm literally shocked these days by the amount of tests being performed everyday in Ireland the last few weeks/months. I don't know what level exactly that people will finally be pleased by or what scae they are expecting
    People think testing and tracing are the solution to get get the virus under control. It's not.

Reducing contacts, social distancing, handwahsing, PPE control the virus.

Reduce the number of cases, reduce the number of contacts and referrals and testing capacity would be enough to meet demand.

It wouldn't make a difference if we could process 1 million tests a week if people continue to flout restrictions and do what they want.

Testing figures dont get the virus under control. They just tell us how f*cked we are.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement