Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Pennys Wilton, 16 staff test +

And no clusters in shops prior to masks being mandatory

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Pennys Wilton, 16 staff test +

How do you know this , not doubting just curious

Were they part of the 36 yesterday or going to new cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

You can't really use percentages increases when numbers are so low, especially comparing 8 with 23.

.....that would be why I said, 'that being said, it's hard to apply much in the ways of sensible trend analysis with such small numbers in the first place'...

It's says test+ which I assumed was tested positive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

wadacrack wrote: »
    As the days pass it's becoming more and more likely October will be a good month for vaccine news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

"Jerick Martin, a healthcare worker who spent 68 days in ICU with #COVID19 " will be a speaker.

Because when you've lost the population by your strategy, only fear remains!

There's enough people on this forum alone who claim it's nothing to worry about until you're either old or have an underlying illness, they need a good slap about the face of the reality.

How do you know this , not doubting just curious

Were they part of the 36 yesterday or going to new cases
    I'm after hearing from 2 HSE workers, and I assume it's included in yesterday's figures of 36 yes. Would make sense, large increases are usually attributed to clusters.
    Also lines up with the school cases. Any workers there would have kids in that area, and the schools would report those cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭Nermal

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    I dunno.. aparently impossible to get tested and...

https://twitter.com/itosettiMD_MBA/status/1307252754134560768?s=19

I'll save you all the bother. https://novus.se/novus-coronastatus/

No science involved, just telephone surveys, self-reported symptoms, and people who 'think' they've had the virus.

Almost as good as that study TonyMaloney posted. Which turned out to have been sampled from a Facebook support group.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I’m not a big fan of them “fear”-ing these conferences to be honest. They should be about media questions and nothing else.
    I suspect though, if you're watching that report, you're preaching to the converted. The people you might want to reach aren't watching.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    There's enough people on this forum alone who claim it's nothing to worry about until you're either old or have an underlying illness, they need a good slap about the face of the reality.

I've an underlying illness and am very calm about the whole situation, to be honest

I'm after hearing from 2 HSE workers, and I assume it's included in yesterday's figures of 36 yes. Would make sense, large increases are usually attributed to clusters.
    Also lines up with the school cases. Any workers there would have kids in that area, and the schools would report those cases.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

GooglePlus wrote: »
    You can almost set your watch to it. Gets called out and shuts down the discussion.

One of the reasons I still visit this thread is to enjoy his spirals downward during an argument, I get a great laugh.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A lot of cases get transferred to hospitals in Dublin that have Covid wards set up. Portiuncla for example, has no cases at the moment. They're not going to admit any covid cases unless there are no other hospitals available to take it.

I'm not sure going on a county-by-county basis in terms of hospitals numbers is helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

"Jerick Martin, a healthcare worker who spent 68 days in ICU with #COVID19 " will be a speaker.

Because when you've lost the population by your strategy, only fear remains!

Thankfully this has been cancelled along with the whole briefing

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1308034031876009984

Thankfully this has been cancelled along with the whole briefing

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1308034031876009984
    Amateur enough cancelling it 27 minutes later. The Department of Health's PR team is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

fits wrote: »
    You worry about your kids I'll worry about mine. He's worn it once - in a shop. Nothing inappropriate or dangerous about it.

We've all to worry about each other, remember. It's not about saving my life it's about saving yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Hurrache wrote: »

That's probably because patients in intensive care tend to be older and with underlying conditions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

You can't close a border that doesn't exist. The manpower is not there to block all the roads either.
    We have hundreds of thousands out of work. Of course the man power is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

We have hundreds of thousands out of work. Of course the man power is there.

Ha ha ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

seamus wrote: »
    I'm not sure going on a county-by-county basis in terms of hospitals numbers is helpful.

It is if you want to paint Dublin as bold and everywhere else as good :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

seamus wrote: »
    It is when there's a bit of smug Dublin bashing going on...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I wouldn't allow it under any circumstances. I'm a few years off mine making it to secondary school so hopefully this is all anchient history by then. There a dangerous item and lead to increased infection and transmission not just of Covid, if not used correctly. All that bacteria isn't good to have them rebreathing.

Absolute and utter nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

That's probably because patients in intensive care tend to be older and with underlying conditions.

Do you have any sense of what it must be like for people who have or had loved ones in ICU to read that?

Ha ha ha.

Could you imagine 20,000 taken off pup to seal off the border. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Woody79 wrote:
    The better we test trace isolate the better control we have. Look at germany and south korea. Efficient testing is one of the most important tools we have. I disagree with your post.

Of course its an important tool. But it is not the solution.

If cases were like fires popping up all over the place, tests are like smoke alarms. They'll tell you where the fire is but it won't put it out.

Reduce your contacts, wash your hands, wear a mask, put out the fire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Ha ha ha.

There is those that see a problem and give in and there are those who see a solution to that same problem. I think it's fair to assume we all know which side you are on.

Do you have any sense of what it must be like for people who have or had loved ones in ICU to read that?

So nothing should be said incase it causes upset even when it's largely true?

Necro wrote: »
    Absolute and utter nonsense.

It's not, look at any science or health advice, Secondary transmission is a thing, if your going to call it nonsense back up your assumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Any beers?

Is there a pattern starting to appear, look at Corks high cases and Dublins, it's not closed pubs there all centered around.
    We changed the advice on what types of stores could open, it was first meant to be only ones with kerb side access, i.e they could let in fresh air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Any beers?

Well pubs are open

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It's not, look at any science or health advice, Secondary transmission is a thing, if your going to call it nonsense back up your assumption.

I'm calling it nonsense because it is nonsense. You're making the claim that masks are unsafe, where's your evidence?

You're basically saying the health experts are trying to infect us with Covid by wearing masks.

Conspiracy Theory Forum
    >

Get outta town with that nonsense!

There is those that see a problem and give in and there are those who see a solution to that same problem. I think it's fair to assume we all know which side you are on.

Thats not a solution , it's idiocy. There is also a matter of an international treaty that we as a nation signed up to.
    As for sides ,more BS .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

So nothing should be said incase it causes upset even when it's largely true?

It implies that they don't matter.

They do.

And people of all ages end up in there.

• Advertisement

Bit of a balls not having the early case numbers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,988 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I've an underlying illness and am very calm about the whole situation, to be honest

Are you an overly positive person ACE?

I've anxious days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

And no clusters in shops prior to masks being mandatory

That is only one variable. Perhaps no one covid +ve in the store in the time masks weren’t mandatory. Perhaps caught in the canteen where presumably masks are removed to eat and drink, but sure yes, of course mask wearing is the only possible explanation...... ffs

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Are you an overly positive person ACE?

I've anxious days

Nope, regularly worry about things. Always stressed when it comes to college. Was anxious about COVID at the beginning, but my father’s a healthcare worker and generally positive about things. There’s a lot of healthcare workers who believe COVID was here long before March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Bit of a balls not having the early case numbers :D

Well, we know now that the figures are available around lunchtime each day, so why do they wait until 5, 6 or even 7 sometimes to release them?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I never said anything about where they're coming from or who they are. It's a fact that Dublin's hospitals are seeing bigger increases per capita and in actual numbers compared to the rest of the country.

Dublin hospitals have more capacity so naturally the numbers in them will be up
    Are you counting Leinster population to calculate per capita so ?

Our best estimate of infection-fatality ratio at present is that it ranges from around 0.1% in those aged 20-30 to 7-8% in those aged 85 and older. If we fail to protect the elderly, we may expect 4-6% mortality in those cases aged 65 years

It implies that they don't matter.

They do.

And people of all ages end up in there.

It only implies what you want it to imply . The majority who end up in ICU due to Covid are mainly elderly or those with an underlying condition or both. Emotive language doesn't change that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Our best estimate of infection-fatality ratio at present is that it ranges from around 0.1% in those aged 20-30 to 7-8% in those aged 85 and older. If we fail to protect the elderly, we may expect 4-6% mortality in those cases aged 65 years

Terribly bad odds for the elderly :(

Necro wrote: »
    I'm calling it nonsense because it is nonsense. You're making the claim that masks are unsafe, where's your evidence?

You're basically saying the health experts are trying to infect us with Covid by wearing masks.

Conspiracy Theory Forum
    >

Get outta town with that nonsense!

Masks are unsafe if not used correctly, nobody has ever disputed that. Not sure why you are.

Yea I know the conspiracy forum is do you need directions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You can't really use percentages increases when numbers are so low, especially comparing 8 with 23.
    Of course you can, we are dealing with a curve.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Terribly bad odds for the elderly :(

85 is a year over the life expectancy of a female and 5 years for a male. I would think anything beyond ALE is a bonus to be honest and Covid has just become another illness that is lethal to the elderly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,988 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Nope, regularly worry about things. Always stressed when it comes to college. Was anxious about COVID at the beginning, but my father’s a healthcare worker and generally positive about things. There’s a lot of healthcare workers who believe COVID was here long before March.

Yes a few GPs have thought it was here too even as early as last December

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes a few GPs have thought it was here too even as early as last December

My grandmother was in Bons ICU for 3 weeks in november, tested negative for flu, luckily survived the ventilator. Father believes it was COVID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This closing the border is ridiculous talk.
    I'm all for no schools, no pubs to get us back on track but we don't need border control. We need to come to an agreement with NI about doing the same things. I'm sure they are willing to participate in an all island approach to curbing the spread of the virus.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement