Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Your bold quote is missing something. I'll help you out.

"Yet"

In line with these observations, none of the convalescent individuals in this study, including those with previous mild disease, have experienced further episodes of COVID-19 Yet.
    You can't add words to studies. What sort of nonsense is that? You're joking at this stage, surely? This has to be a wind up.
    In line with these observations, none of the convalescent individuals in this study, including those with previous mild disease, have experienced further episodes of COVID-19. Of note, we detected cross-reactive T cell responses against spike or membrane in 28% of the unexposed healthy blood donors, consistent with a high degree of pre-existing immune responses potentially induced by other coronaviruses (Braun et al., 2020; Grifoni et al., 2020; Le Bert et al., 2020).

edit: oh by the way, the study involved people infected in February/March, so it's been a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Also are you going to provide a source from a medical journal on the graph and whatever you quoted? Because it's not from the paper I posted.

Ah so you didn't read the paper in the tweet about the coronavirus reinfections.
    Good to know.
    I'll help you out some more.
    It's a great journal.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-1083-1

Ah so you didn't read the paper in the tweet about the coronavirus reinfections.
    Good to know.
    I'll help you out some more.
    It's a great journal.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-1083-1
    That isn't even about COVID... dear god.
    HCoV-NL63, HCoV-229E, HCoV-OC43 and HCoV-HKU1 =/= SARS-COVI-2.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Further observations from the t-cell paper published in Cell medical journal:

Ive been following this Dr. On twitter, phd in Tcell immunology. But he seems very wary of Tcell immunity. I dont understand it fully, as a lot of it is over my head.

But from what i THINK i understand, hes wary because the sarscov2 virus ages Tcells and kills them. So after an infection, we have less and it takes time for the body to reproduce (months) which leaves our bodies open to all sorts of other issues (cancer, epv, herpes, other sickness) and if we get a second dose of the virus, well its very dodgy.

Anyway, for anyone interested:
    https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1308051767981150208?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

That isn't even about COVID... dear god.
    HCoV-NL63, HCoV-229E, HCoV-OC43 and HCoV-HKU1 =/= SARS-COVI-2.......

Did you not hear???
    Covid 19 is the seasonal flu now

Just a heads up RE: coronaviruses.
    They're not all the same.
    SARS and MERS produced long term immunity. Antibodies are still detected.
    Other coronaviruses are not the same.
    You can't really make an assumption that every single coronavirus has the same immunity.

Did you not hear???
    Covid 19 is the seasonal flu now
    They literally are the seasonal coronavirus strains :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Just a heads up RE: coronaviruses.
    They're not all the same.
    SARS and MERS produced long term immunity. Antibodies are still detected.
    Other coronaviruses are not the same.
    You can't really make an assumption that every single coronavirus has the same immunity.

The viruses were contained so there was chance to observe reinfection cycle. They also produced long term damage and death.

Those other coronavirus' are the only ones to go off.

Look believe what you want, couldn't give a **** what you think.
    Not bothered, just find it funny that you attempt to **** on the credibility of a twitter link but fail to see it contains a link to a study in one of the most respected scientific journals in the world. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Think it’s letterkenny and Milford that are getting the most. Carrick has majority of Leitrim's numbers.
    Leitrim features on the bad list,up to Saturday it had 23 cases for the previous 14 day's.Because of it's tiny population that equates to almost 70 per 100,000 even though it recorded less than 2 cases each day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

eagle eye wrote: »
    My young man is being homeschooled at the minute. I've no issue with virtual classrooms though and it's not very difficult at all.
    A lot of people just like to put roadblocks in the way of good sense.

When a couple of kids die from the virus the schools will be shut again.
    We shouldn't be waiting for that to happen.

Poor internet access and no broadband are pretty substantial 'roadblocks' for a virtual classroom.
    As for good sense, that's your opinion. Keeping your son locked away from social interaction with other kids is not a good thing btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Will be well over a hundred in hospital in about a day or two now, around a fifth of our peak, but without most of the same kerfuffle. About 475 in hospital nationwide during the April peak iirc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Will be well over a hundred in hospital in about a day or two now, around a fifth of our peak, but without most of the same kerfuffle. About 475 in hospital nationwide during the April peak iirc?

I believe it was circa 860 at the peak with 160 in ICU

growleaves wrote: »
    A few months ago posters were warning about a possible repeat of the second wave of the Spanish flu,which killed somewhere between 50 to 100 million people.

Now its like "I told you there'd be a second wave" (!)

Fair play for having the balls to gloat over predicting a deadly second wave, when that second wave kills roughly zero people a day in this country most days. A bit of step down from the Spanish flu stuff.

Come on name names, or I should say posters.

Name and shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

very few ICUs beds available. Will they stop treating the cancer patients again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

My young man is being homeschooled at the minute. I've no issue with virtual classrooms though and it's not very difficult at all.

Do you work full time?

Flu is more dangerous to children than COVID-19. Should schools close every winter due to a flu outbreak?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It may not be difficult for you but their are thousands of kids who would be at a huge disadvantage if they couldn’t go to school
    Kids from abusive or neglecful homes
    Children in a family with a child with special needs , children with special needs , children with autism who will regress without the input of professionals and the interaction with other kids
    We must all remember that not everyone is as lucky as we are

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Name and shame

Don't you know names arent usually named in here, usually hide behind cowardly statements like "some people here" or "certain posters" . It is all designed to stir the you know what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Name and shame

I was a recurring trend on the threads at one point. I'd have to go back and start trawling through posts to gather names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

El Sueño wrote: »
    I believe it was 860 at the peak and 160 in ICU

And 30-40 deaths a day for most of April

Barely averaging 1 death a day now and by god are we looking for them, testing 15000 people a day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

wowzer wrote: »
    Don't you know names arent usually named in here, usually hide behind cowardly statements like "some people here" or "certain posters" designed to stir the you know what.

Yikes.

It could be considered rude to confront a poster with "you said x on 15th of March". It also requires research which I'm not too bothered about.

CorkBoy (now sadly banned) was a big Spanish Flu'er

I was a recurring trend on the threads at one point. I'd have to go back and start trawling through posts to gather names.

Why bother, there were many wrong about this in the early days myself included. Now though we have access to a wealth of information to help form an opinion of how serious we view the virus .

Great cheers, no hurry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

So will the rest of Ireland be going to level 3 this week? Seems like the media are preparing for it.

all gloom this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Why bother, there were many wrong about this in the early days myself included. Now though we have access to a wealth of information to help form an opinion of how serious we view the virus .

Exactly.

In 6 months we'll look back on now and think, "Jesus we were fairly wrong about x, y & z..." and we'll do the same 6 months after that.

It's humbling to know you've been wrong and it's how we learn in life but a minority of posters don't have that trait that most have.

The viruses were contained so there was chance to observe reinfection cycle. They also produced long term damage and death.

Those other coronavirus' are the only ones to go off.

Look believe what you want, couldn't give a **** what you think.
    Not bothered, just find it funny that you attempt to **** on the credibility of a twitter link but fail to see it contains a link to a study in one of the most respected scientific journals in the world. :pac:

Once I see a journal entry on COVID reinfection I’ll read it. Not one on the common cold, cheers.
    Also, classy response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

So will the rest of Ireland be going to level 3 this week? Seems like the media are preparing for it.

all gloom this evening.

Turn off rte

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yeah, I kinda took it seriously in the early days then actually got fed up of the constant data and negativity.

Now I try and just look at the data..

Which is very difficult admittedly, RTE and the media in general are terrible at reporting positive news on COVID at all such as discharges, recoveries etc. All they want is the screaming headlines of 500 million cases, anti-mask protests (which imo should be just ignored and not given any time of day at all) etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

all gloom this evening.

Of course we will

Good question btw

Where its going imo

More lies

Less deaths

More unemployment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Once I see a journal entry on COVID reinfection I’ll read it. Not one on the common cold, cheers.
    Also, classy response.

So you'll believe the nurses in cork that covid was here last October with no proof and not that reinfection is possible when it's been proven?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

BoatMad wrote: »
    Deaths are not detected. Hmmm maybe they snuck out of the hospitals to have a pint

I think you know I differentiated between cases of infection and deaths. It is pretty obvious to most intelligent people that the correlation between cases and deaths in March/April is not particularly relevant to the current situation whereby there are significantly more tests including on people without symptoms. Back in March/April many people with symptoms were refused tests on the grounds of capacity.

Anyone still making a contention that this virus results in 15% hospitalisations, 3% deaths etc. is clearly engaging in propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭niamh247

Poor internet access and no broadband are pretty substantial 'roadblocks' for a virtual classroom.
    As for good sense, that's your opinion. Keeping your son locked away from social interaction with other kids is not a good thing btw.

I think you are wrong. Infact attending school is quite unhealthy mentally as well now due to constant fear of bringing the virus home, not able to follow healthy practices in school and so on. Schools are not even reporting now. Even if they report, it would be too late by then.

Broadband is pretty good for most homes in Ireland, compared to other countries who are doing online schooling now.

Learning, social interaction should be much lesser issues than living in constant fear and uncertainty when kid returns from school. It is simply unhealthy not only physically but also mentally, to be forced to send kid to school in these circumstances. By the way, social interaction is possible in virtual classes as well, but unfortunately schools here didn't go that route.

niamh247 wrote: »
    I think you are wrong. We do homeschooling too. Infact attending school is quite unhealthy mentally as well now due to constant fear of bringing the virus home, not able to follow healthy practices in school and so on. Schools are not even reporting now. Even if they report, it would be too late by then.

Broadband is pretty good for most homes in Ireland, compared to other countries who are doing online schooling now.

Learning, social interaction should be much lesser issues than living in constant fear and uncertainty when kid returns from school. It is simply unhealthy not only physically but also mentally, to be forced to send kid to school in these circumstances.

Not sure where you live but I can barely watch YouTube some nights. And I live in a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭SteHam

Not sure where you live but I can barely watch YouTube some nights. And I live in a city.

That's shocking for this day and age, you'd want to be ringing or changing your provider. You're getting robbed if you're having issues with YouTube in an urban area in 2020!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Polar101 wrote: »
    Some idea on how much expanding testing capacity costs:

Helsinki Hospital District in Finland paid 100 million Euro to a private lab to rent their facilities for 10 months (so 10M€ / month), this will increase their Covid testing analysis lab capacity by 14000 daily (to 22000).

I wonder how much renting 2000 capacity from Germany costs.
    Short answer: millions.

Throwing money at Covid testing is a quick fix at a long term problem. Labs need actual investment.

In Wales they have invested £32 million into their hospital labs. It will pay for equipment for Covid testing but also staff so they can provide testing 24/7, seven days a week.

This equipment can also perform testing for other respiratory conditions to support patient care and patient flows through secondary care.

This capacity will also deliver access to rapid norovirus and C. difficile molecular testing, plus local blood culture incubation in our acute hospitals and release staff time in regional and local laboratories to support COVID-19 testing.

Investment in laboratory services can actually save the HSE millions a year, reduce waiting lists and improve patient care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I think you are wrong. We do homeschooling too. Infact attending school is quite unhealthy mentally as well now due to constant fear of bringing the virus home, not able to follow healthy practices in school and so on. Schools are not even reporting now. Even if they report, it would be too late by then.

Learning, social interaction should be much lesser issues than living in constant fear and uncertainty when kid returns from school. It is simply unhealthy not only physically but also mentally, to be forced to send kid to school in these circumstances. By the way, social interaction is possible in virtual classes as well, but unfortunately schools here didn't go that route.

I'm glad it works for you but around here broadband is very poor and there's little or no mobile reception. One person would struggle to do any serious work online . It would be impossible for two kids. Plus, many parents are trying to do a day's work as well.
    Our grandchildren are so happy and at ease now they're back at school. They aren't living in fear - far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Throwing money at Covid testing is a quick fix at a long term problem. Labs need actual investment.

In Wales they have invested £32 million into their hospital labs. It will pay for equipment for Covid testing but also staff so they can provide testing 24/7, seven days a week.

This equipment can also perform testing for other respiratory conditions to support patient care and patient flows through secondary care.

This capacity will also deliver access to rapid norovirus and C. difficile molecular testing, plus local blood culture incubation in our acute hospitals and release staff time in regional and local laboratories to support COVID-19 testing.

Investment in laboratory services can actually save the HSE millions a year, reduce waiting lists and improve patient care.

The HSE do not have great pedigree in saving money.

SteHam wrote: »
    That's shocking for this day and age, you'd want to be ringing or changing your provider. You're getting robbed if you're having issues with YouTube in an urban area in 2020!

National Broadband Plan covers half of Cork City so not long now :D

Necro wrote: »
    Yeah, I kinda took it seriously in the early days then actually got fed up of the constant data and negativity.

Now I try and just look at the data..

Which is very difficult admittedly, RTE and the media in general are terrible at reporting positive news on COVID at all such as discharges, recoveries etc. All they want is the screaming headlines of 500 million cases, anti-mask protests (which imo should be just ignored and not given any time of day at all) etc etc

I'll be honest , I wasn't concerned in the early days. I was of the opinion it was a just a more dangerous form of the flu.
    Clearly it's not a flu but it does target the same demographics a flu does. I follow the guidelines to the extent of what I believe makes sense and I avoid RTE news like the plague and much of our print media aswell.
    There seems to be no balance or place for an exchange of differing opinions in Irish media.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

That £32M or euro equivalent would be absolutely wasted on the HSE. They would hire a group of consultants supported by an army of middle managers and no more testing would get done. The hand would be out for more money before the ink was dry on the draft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Won’t be watching Claire Byrne tonight especially with this fool on it!!
    https://twitter.com/astaines/status/1308145807363895296?s=21

I can only go by my experience and that of my neighbours and family from other parts of the country.
    My son was unable to complete a college exam online from my home because our internet was so poor . It was a time limited exam.
    My neighbours children are all delighted to be back at school seeing their friends again. The fear I believe is on the part of the parents, children don't have this fear unless it's projected onto them .
    Social interaction online is not the same as physical social interaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

If your child is living in fear and suffering mentally, it’s likely they’re picking up negative vibes from home. That’s not healthy. Any child I know are delighted to be back in school with their friends again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

This might be of use to some here.Thread on the different sources of covid data in Ireland.

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1308127129683582978?s=19

This might be of use to some here.Thread on the different sources of covid data in Ireland.

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1308127129683582978?s=19
    I'm not sure why they can't just pick one and stick to it. They should go by Eircode routing key. EG mine starts with T12, as do all the house around me. That's the way it should be done. There's 139 eircode regions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭inthenip

SteHam wrote: »

I don't think you actually realize how bad Broadband is in Ireland if your outside a decent sized village or town.

inthenip wrote: »
    I don't think you actually realize how bad Broadband is in Ireland if your outside a decent sized village or town.
    Or living in the second biggest city :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭SteHam

inthenip wrote: »

I'm well aware unfortunately. Moved from 1mb in the country to 350mb in the city but I'm just surprised at such poor service in an urban environment like Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

I’m not a fan of violence but I’d love to hit Staines and the GP poster boy a box!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement