Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

john4321 wrote: »
    What would it achieve at present? Thankfully general hospital numbers and ICU numbers are low at present.

Surely the original documentary does a good job of showing what an increase of cases can lead to and hopefully we won't have to see it again?
    I guarantee most of the country hasn't seen the documentary. Nobody watches RTE anymore, to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭thebronze14

owlbethere wrote: »
    That's exactly what a night out was pre covid for a lot of young people. Not everyone but a lot of people. Dresses so skimpy, I wear more going to bed. All it is getting dressed up to wear fcuk all and get drunk and fall about the place.

Jese, re-read what you wrote there. Fairly embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

fritzelly wrote: »
    The deal is they can go back and utilise them if necessary since the original contract ended

How can they utilise them if they are already occupied?. Is that not leaving things to chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Jese, re-read what you wrote there. Fairly embarrassing.

And the post was actually thanked. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I was looking at an old spreadsheet and I think there is an extra 275 from private hospiat beds but I could be wrong on that.

So somewhere between 500-569 in Total

Not currently available. The numbers I quoted were mentioned on the news tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,723 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

How can they utilise them if they are already occupied?.

Well that is a whole other matter but the private hospitals agreed to "lease" their ICU capacity if requested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

That's exactly what a night out was pre covid for a lot of young people. Not everyone but a lot of people. Dresses so skimpy, I wear more going to bed. All it is getting dressed up to wear fcuk all and get drunk and fall about the place.

Were you young once yourself or did you arrive as a pensioner to the labour ward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Owlbethere,not sure what age you are but do you have children or nieces or nephews? Would they like you calling them prostitutes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Whoever came up with the idea of having that covid quiz should be shot out of a cannon

HSE Daily Operations Update
    90 in hospital, increase of 2. (Dublin: 59 (-1) Nationwide: 31 (+3))
    7 confirmed cases in hospital today: 2 in Mater, 1 each in Beaumont, Galway, St James, St Vincents and Tullamore.
    17 in ICU, increase of 1.
    9 ventilated, increase of 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

El Sueño wrote: »
    Whoever came up with the idea of having that covid quiz should be shot out of a cannon

The Clare Byrne show is a farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I guarantee most of the country hasn't seen the documentary. Nobody watches RTE anymore, to be fair.

In that case why did you say:

"It would be interesting for RTE to bring on an actual working doctor in one of the busiest COVID hospitals"

Not much point if nobody watches it?

In that case why did you say:

"It would be interesting for RTE to bring on an actual working doctor in one of the busiest COVID hospitals"

Not much point if nobody watches it?
    Because I watch it, and I think it's interesting?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Piehead wrote: »
    Over 500 today ??
    750+ today ?
    Will it be 500+ cases in Dublin today
    Is it approaching 1,000 today?

Give it a rest with these nonsense posts

Because I watch it, and I think it's interesting?

So why post this:

"Nobody watches RTE anymore, to be fair."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Prof Nolan was banging on today that Serology tests show that they only caught 1 in 3 infections during the early phase of the virus and is basing all his maths and fatality rates off that, when it is clearly at least 1 in 20 or 30.

T-Cell immunity has been known about and talked about for a long time but our Scientists in NPHET just ignore it.

Scientists? Interesting you should say that. Out of the 33 members of NPHET, only one would come close to being a full time epidemiologist, Prof Colm Bergin. There are more communications experts on NPHET than epidemiologists. This has to be a little bit concerning.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/who-are-the-nphet-members-overseeing-ireland-s-response-to-covid-19-1.4241823?mode=amp

Good few people discussed it on here when first aired, may have been an actual thread on it too.

If people don't watch RTE as you claim, why so many comments about their shows and covid commentary on here too?

So why post this:

"Nobody watches RTE anymore, to be fair."
    Because I know nobody else who watches RTE. I watch it for the news. Only other person who watches it is my nan.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Good few people discussed it on here when first aired, may have been an actual thread on it too.

If people don't watch RTE as you claim, why so many comments about their shows and covid commentary on here too?
    I personally don't know anyone other than my nan who watches RTE, to be honest.

I know plenty of people from 20s on up who watch it. Couldn't say the same for the virgin media channels however.
    I don't watch to much tv personality, and wouldn't bother paying for sky etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭alentejo

It will make for great TV in about 20 years time!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Lock the airport, shut down the border (army can police it) and full lockdown for 8 weeks.

Then what?

Then we reopen again. This time open the pubs and have frequent unannounced inspection of Meat Factories and Direct Provision Centres. We can close off inward travel or at least put mandatory quarantine in place for the winter. It should be much more manageable.

Reopen properly, as we botched this recovery.

Them hospitalisation numbers are very grim and case numbers need to be brought down ASAP.

This is anecdotal evidence you are providing not based on facts.

https://about.rte.ie/2020/06/05/public-turn-to-rte-in-record-numbers-for-news-information-and-entertainment/

Seems to be a fairly common trendy theme lately to say I don't watch RTE similar to the states and I dont follow MSM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,988 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Does anyone know what our ICU capacity is now?

283 Critical Care Beds Open and staffed
    241 Occupied including 17 Covid patients
    20 Beds reserved
    38 available at 18.30 hours

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid-19-daily-operations-update-20-00-21-september-2020.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

spookwoman wrote: »
    20 Beds reserved

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid-19-daily-operations-update-20-00-21-september-2020.pdf

Jesus there's not much of a reserve with winter coming.

Most I've seen on those reports are 540 available and about 430 open and staffed since 13/04/2020

Yeah, so much for flattening the curve to buy time to gear up hospital capacity. The government have been focussed on how expensive a meal has to be to stop the spread of the virus rather than actually getting their finger out of their collective holes and spending some money in increasing capacity

ICU surge plan is not included on the report.
    Reserved = beds specific to a certain type of illness, IE cardiac beds, beds for surgery, etc and not actually = the reserve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

there was a bit there on the Claire Byrne show where the experts are hammering home the message of indoor, household gatherings being high risk for covid infection. Also one of them saying we are heading towards another lockdown by Christmas time or the new year of we don't act now.

Basically we all have a part to play to follow the guidelines that are laid out.

This is the message that many in the medical and science fields are hammering out. Why doesn't the government step in and make this happen? I heard on the news over the weekend that in England, people are faced with up to 10,000 pounds fine of they are caught breaking isolation rules. That's proper order imo. We really need our government to bring in large fines for people who are going to break the guidelines on masks and social distancing and isolation guidelines.

There was a blond guest on the show by video call. Her name was Niamh. The tone she was speaking in displays she's very playe that her young generation is locked up. It's overly dramatic for crying out loud. You're talking about restricting your close contacts and social gatherings for the foreseeable future to hammer down on the virus. <snip>

Lol

A 10000 fine that a very small proportion of their population would have the means to pay..

You'd be an easy win for a populist government dropping claptrap through their rag media channels anyway

10000 fine... Never heard anything so utterly laughable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Is there a numbers round?

Surge plan, the one they never publish.....

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2020-09-08/1394/
    Deputy Carol Nolan asked the Minister for Health the steps being taken to increase the number of base adult critical care beds within the public health system; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [22561/20]

1395. Deputy Carol Nolan asked the Minister for Health the reason there was an increase of just 19 adult critical care beds within the public health system from March 2020 to 20 August 2020 (details supplied); and if he will make a statement on the matter. [22562/20]
    1396. Deputy Carol Nolan asked the Minister for Health if the critical care capacity within the public health system is sufficient to admit up to 15% of hospitalised cases to critical care as recommended by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) guidance 25/3/2020; if his attention has been drawn to the fact that the same EDC guidance has identified Ireland as being at an extremely high risk of saturation of its baseline intensive care unit capacity; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [22563/20]

The Health Service Capacity Review 2018 recommended that Ireland’s critical care capacity be increased to 430 beds by 2031. In early 2020, baseline permanent adult critical care capacity in Ireland was reported by the National Office of Clinical Audit (NOCA) to be 255 beds. Funding for a further 40 adult critical care beds, and two paediatric critical care beds, was provided as part of the response to Covid-19 in March 2020. Surge ICU capacity supports the provision of critical care as required.

My Department and the HSE have been engaging in regard to critical care capacity requirements in the public hospital system and consideration is ongoing.

Surge plan, the one they never publish.....

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2020-09-08/1394/
    Deputy Carol Nolan asked the Minister for Health the steps being taken to increase the number of base adult critical care beds within the public health system; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [22561/20]

1395. Deputy Carol Nolan asked the Minister for Health the reason there was an increase of just 19 adult critical care beds within the public health system from March 2020 to 20 August 2020 (details supplied); and if he will make a statement on the matter. [22562/20]
    1396. Deputy Carol Nolan asked the Minister for Health if the critical care capacity within the public health system is sufficient to admit up to 15% of hospitalised cases to critical care as recommended by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) guidance 25/3/2020; if his attention has been drawn to the fact that the same EDC guidance has identified Ireland as being at an extremely high risk of saturation of its baseline intensive care unit capacity; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [22563/20]

The Health Service Capacity Review 2018 recommended that Ireland’s critical care capacity be increased to 430 beds by 2031. In early 2020, baseline permanent adult critical care capacity in Ireland was reported by the National Office of Clinical Audit (NOCA) to be 255 beds. Funding for a further 40 adult critical care beds, and two paediatric critical care beds, was provided as part of the response to Covid-19 in March 2020. Surge ICU capacity supports the provision of critical care as required.

My Department and the HSE have been engaging in regard to critical care capacity requirements in the public hospital system and consideration is ongoing.
    It's not necessary for the public to know, to be fair. Doesn't make any difference to us what the surge plan is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Is there a numbers round?

All small numbers for me please Carol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Gas, without trying to ruffle anyone's feathers, how the general emotional tenor of the thread swings wildly at times.

A day of higher than expected numbers: Christ we're fcked, they need to quit dithering and lock us down. People are dying!

A day of lower than expected numbers: Christ the government are over reacting, they need to stop feeding the fear. Businesses are dying!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Anyone know why haven't Sweden updated their cases or deaths since September 5th?

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    Gas, without trying to ruffle anyone's feathers, how the general emotional tenor of the thread swings wildly at times.

A day of higher than expected numbers: Christ we're fcked, they need to quit dithering and lock us down. People are dying!

A day of lower than expected numbers: Christ the government are over reacting, they need to stop feeding the fear. Businesses are dying!

It's a balancing act alright and an emotional rollercoaster.

I like the articles that its weakening just for peace of mind.

Think the country will need a lockdown for a month next month just to get r value below 1 for a sustained period.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Because I know nobody else who watches RTE. I watch it for the news. Only other person who watches it is my nan.

For the news too?

Arghus wrote: »

It certainly is reactionary :)

s1ippy wrote: »
    Anyone know why haven't Sweden updated their cases or deaths since September 5th?

Seems to be updated here
    https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/09f821667ce64bf7be6f9f87457ed9aa/page/page_0/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

20 Beds reserved

Where is the panic talk about ICU bed availability every winter? We could all end up in ICU at any given time due to RTCs, heart attacks, strokes etc. not something I spend my day worrying about it. The chances of a healthy person ending up in ICU with covid are about the same as ending up in ICU because of a car crash, heart attack, stroke, one punch assault, falling down the stairs or workplace accident.

The vulnerable can take measures to protect themselves whilst the healthy should really be getting on with their lives.

• Advertisement

GT89 wrote: »
    Where is the panic talk about ICU bed availability every winter? We could all end up in ICU at any given time due to RTCs, heart attacks, strokes etc. not something I spend my day worrying about it. The chances of a healthy person ending up in ICU with covid are about the same as ending up in ICU because of a car crash, heart attack, stroke, one punch assault, falling down the stairs or workplace accident.

The vulnerable can take measures to protect themselves whilst the healthy should really be getting on with their lives.

Completely untrue.

Completely untrue.

All that fearmongering can't be good for you. When you're locked up in your house in a few weeks time Ile be out enjoying the autumn sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

40% of ICU capacity in Madrid for example currently is catering to COVID patients, and the situation is not even considered that bad yet, at least compared to April. So what do you think happens to all the heart attack, car crash victims etc when all the beds become filled with covid patients? That's why 'all the panic talk about ICU'. We don't all have heart attacks enmasse, it's exactly why ICUs don't become overwhelmed by heart attacks. As you know, COVID tends to make very large numbers of people sick very quickly if left to it's devices. Like are you for real? Are you trolling?

its almost as if all of these things arent all that likely to happen to very large numbers of us all at once, but that a pandemic isnt comparable

i mean its almost exactly like that

i mean its that

thats the thing

let us know when that penny drops

bb1234567 wrote: »
    40% of ICU capacity in Madrid for example currently is catering to COVID patients, and the situation is not even considered that bad yet, at least compared to April. So what do you think happens to all the heart attack, car crash victims etc when all the beds become filled with covid patients? That's why 'all the panic talk about ICU'

It's been taken up mostly by the over 65s/immunocompromised. Put in targetted measures to protect these groups and you won't have these problems. Fat people are more vulnerable too so include those with a BMI of more than 30 in any targetted measures/recommendations.

All that fearmongering can't be good for you. When you're locked up in your house in a few weeks time Ile be out enjoying the autumn sunshine.

Really? I wouldn`t be too sure about that if I were you. BTW have you done anything yet about dealing with your issues?

Really? I wouldn`t be too sure about that if I were you.

What the weather or the lockdown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

90 in total in ROI hospitals with Covid now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's been taken up mostly by the over 65s/immunocompromised. Put in targetted measures to protect these groups and you won't have these problems. Fat people are more vulnerable too so include those with a BMI of more than 30 in any targetted measures/recommendations.

Targetted measures like what.

What the weather or the lockdown?

Both.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement