Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

3 symptomatic I presume?

No asymptomatic the didn't even know they had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

May I be so bold as to ask where ye got it from?

Not a clue? you could guess here for a year,but the whole house got one serious wallop,im ok today(day 16) just have a feeling of grit in me eyes,but the kids are getting a serious wallop.but i would have no idea how it got in to the house

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

copeyhagen wrote: »

also, the person that tested positive hadnt spread it to a single person

How do you know they didn't?

What you mean is the very limited amount of contacts he has had have not tested positive yet, if he/she only tested positive on Sunday, their contacts will have to get tested again next week assuming they were tested this week.

It may also be possible that one of his close contacts gave it to him in the past 2 weeks and no longer has the virus, unless they have traced him/her to infected contact, have they?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

When they say that mordbidly obese people are four times more likely to get severe symptoms and/or die from Covid, what does that mean exactly in terms of actual risk?

Does it mean most morbidly obese people are going to get the severe symptoms and possibly die, or will most MO people be fine overall?

Boggles wrote: »

What you mean is the very limited amount of contacts he has had have not tested positive yet, if he/she only tested positive on Sunday, their contacts will have to get tested again next week assuming they were tested this week.

It may also be possible that one of his close contacts gave it to him in the past 2 weeks and no longer has the virus, unless they have traced him/her to infected contact, have they?

Someone who is a contact trace is only tested once?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    When they say that mordbidly obese people are four times more likely to get severe symptoms and/or die from Covid, what does that mean exactly in terms of actual risk?

Does it mean most morbidly obese people are going to get the severe symptoms and possibly die, or will most MO people be fine overall?

It means you are four times more likely to die from Covid due to being overweight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

good point, the people from the location it happened allt ested negative (18/19 people) so no idea about their eprsonal life tests etc!

and yeah, we were told a single test.

lolokeogh wrote: »
    Someone who is a contact trace is only tested once?
    You will be referred for two tests if you are a close contact, once straight away, and a second approximately 7 days after your contact with the person with COVID-19. You will not be referred for the second test if it occurs within 24 hours of the first test, or if your first test detects COVID-19. Even if
    you receive a negative test result, you will need to continue to restrict your movements.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    and yeah, we were told a single test.

Really?

Must have changed it so.

No they do not get you back,i know this for fact..i know many people who were tested through contact tracing and was once.

• Advertisement

Really?

Must have changed it so.

unless its a new rule,on which i will know the next few days,but was not mentioned to anyone who was tested from my contact list?

It's not been done before so it is groundbreaking. The distributions are not that normal which is interesting. They are quite long tailed. Did you read the paper. It's more evidence of the airborne transmission being a serious issue.

With all due respect I think you need to have a look at how airborne pathogens work. Based on the below comment I don't think it's clear to you. Measles is primarily airborne and has a much larger Ro number. i.e it is far more contagious than most diseases due to the airborne nature. It might be wise to have a read of stuff before you sh!t on a centre for disease control paper. Your confidence doesn't match your understanding.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/measles/facts/factsheet

Not a single mention of airbourne transmission in the piece. It also concludes restaurants are the most likely source yet anyone with an even cursory understanding of statistical hypothesis testing can see that there is no statistical difference between the various activities in a public setting. Its interesting how they have chosen to report hypothesis testing used to determine difference between control and those who visited bars and restaurants, however not between each individual settings. This would of course have had a high p-value as this is no difference.
    It is right that they have not done so however as they do acknowledge there are severe limitations in the study
    The findings in this report are subject to at least five limitations. First, the sample included 314 symptomatic patients who actively sought testing during July 1–29, 2020 at 11 health care facilities. Symptomatic adults with negative SARS-CoV-2 test results might have been infected with other respiratory viruses and had similar exposures to persons with cases of such illnesses. Persons who did not respond, or refused to participate, could be systematically different from those who were interviewed for this investigation. Efforts to age- and sex-match participating case-patients and control-participants were not maintained because of participants not meeting the eligibility criteria, refusing to participate, or not responding, and this was accounted for in the analytic approach. Second, unmeasured confounding is possible, such that reported behaviours might represent factors, including concurrently participating in activities where possible exposures could have taken place, that were not included in the analysis or measured in the survey. Of note, the question assessing dining at a restaurant did not distinguish between indoor and outdoor options. In addition, the question about going to a bar or coffee shop did not distinguish between the venues or service delivery methods, which might represent different exposures. Third, adults in the study were from one of 11 participating health care facilities and might not be representative of the United States population. Fourth, participants were aware of their SARS-CoV-2 test results, which could have influenced their responses to questions about community exposures and close contacts. Finally, case or control status might be subject to misclassification because of imperfect sensitivity or specificity of PCR-based testing

Also, the interval bars are not distributions, they are confidence intervals. Meaning the true value of the "adjusted odds ratio", whatever that means, could be any where on that line.

I am also flattered that you will save links to posts of mine from weeks ago to fling back at me when it suits. I am trying to remember the context in which a posted the above, and cant be bothered trawling through my post history to find it, but believe I may have been relating the fact that as most transmission is through droplets, the airbourne portion would only represent a small proposition of transmissions. If airbourne transmission was a much of a component of spread as you would like us to believe, we would be looking at an R0 of the order of that of measles, but we are not, as airbourne events are rare compared to face to face droplet transmsiion

No they do not get you back,i know this for fact..i know many people who were tested through contact tracing and was once.

Last update August 31st.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/close-contact-and-casual-contact.html
    Second tests for close contacts

You will get a second test even if your first test is negative. This is because it can take up to 14 days for the virus to show up in your system after you have been exposed to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Sierra 117 wrote: »

It's possibly a more complicated relationship than first appears. While the morbidly obese are more likely to have severe symptoms / die, they are also of course more likely to have pre-existing co-morbidities in the first place. Not sure if it's been established yet whether the latter is the cause of greater severity, or just simply 'fatness' (although the end result is the same anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Not a clue? you could guess here for a year,but the whole house got one serious wallop,im ok today(day 16) just have a feeling of grit in me eyes,but the kids are getting a serious wallop.but i would have no idea how it got in to the house

Jaypers, I thought I had the beginnings of a sore throat last night (though gone this morning) and had a feeling of grit in one eye for last 2 days :eek: Is that a symptom? No fever though. Not reading any more of your posts :)

Jaypers, I thought I had the beginnings of a sore throat last night (though gone this morning) and had a feeling of grit in one eye for last 2 days :eek: Is that a symptom? No fever though. Not reading any more of your posts :)
    for me it went something as follows
    26th day 1 sweats and colds
    day 2 same with sore throat
    day 3 cold/sore throat and i looked green,i was dreadful looking
    day 4 in bed in a heap,tripping out
    day 5 can not remember??same as day 4 but i ate a chinese that evening
    then from day 6 i had the feeling of a real bad cold,but on and off,one hour great,next hour bed,also had the grit in the eyes when i woke up some mornings,and it just goes instant,had the feeling like i had sunburn on arms and shoulders,sore feet,then 2 nights ago extreme and i mean extreme sweats in bed with no high temp,all these symtoms were on and off every day,you could wake up brand new,then come lunch time wrecked,5 off us have it here,all same symtoms,high temp not an issue,but was up until 530 this morning with 13 year old trying to breath,both her and 25 year old daughter in hospital yesterday,but blood oxegen ok so home yous go.and well here we are today,i have a feeling like im inhaling dust,as for the rest of the family?we will see as day goes on,also my appetite went off the scale for a few days,and also i must hightlight after day 5 my sense of smell and taste vanished,nothing.still not back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

So, we moved from extremely low community transmission to reasonably significant community transmission.

What happened between say, late July I think, and now to cause this upping in numbers/2nd wave whatever?

It doesn't seem to me that there is anything radically different about the amount of social distancing taking place. Schools are back sure, but not for long enough to explain. Pubs/restaurants no change there yet. House parties, well always stories about them, but nothing particularly new.

So what do people think is the main cause of the upswing?

(Ok, people started wearing masks everywhere and started fidgeting with them after touching multiple surfaces, and gave up proper hand washing as the masks made them feel invincible, but what else? ;):pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

So, we moved from extremely low community transmission to reasonably significant community transmission.

What happened between say, late July I think, and now to cause this upping in numbers/2nd wave whatever?

It doesn't seem to me that there is anything radically different about the amount of social distancing taking place. Schools are back sure, but not for long enough to explain. Pubs/restaurants no change there yet. House parties, well always stories about them, but nothing particularly new.

Same as back in February, people travelling and bringing the virus back...simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

then from day 6 i had the feeling of a real bad cold,but on and off,one hour great,next hour bed,also had the grit in the eyes when i woke up some mornings,and it just goes instant,had the feeling like i had sunburn on arms and shoulders,sore feet,then 2 nights ago extreme and i mean extreme sweats in bed with no high temp,all these symtoms were on and off every day,you could wake up brand new,then come lunch time wrecked,5 off us have it here,all same symtoms,high temp not an issue,but was up until 530 this morning with 13 year old trying to breath,both her and 25 year old daughter in hospital yesterday,but blood oxegen ok so home yous go.and well here we are today,i have a feeling like im inhaling dust,as for the rest of the family?we will see as day goes on,also my appetite went off the scale for a few days,and also i must hightlight after day 5 my sense of smell and taste vanished,nothing.still not back

Nasty.

Must be terrible being so worried for your kids while you yourself are in an awful state.
    I hope you get some relief soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Same as back in February, people travelling and bringing the virus back...simple.
    A whole lot more mixing, family and other social events plus contacts at very high level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

is_that_so wrote: »
    A whole lot more mixing, family and other social events plus contacts at very high level.

Yep.

Communions, confirmations, birthdays in houses etc.

People have become complacent which is understandable.

(Ok, people started wearing masks everywhere and started fidgeting with them after touching multiple surfaces, and gave up proper hand washing as the masks made them feel invincible, but what else? ;):pac: )

Some people believe a mask acts as a invincibility cloak and allows behaviours to revert to pre-covid days, when in fact its a supplementary control, providing some additional protection, and only when used correctly

Nasty.

Must be terrible being so worried for your kids while you yourself are in an awful state.
    I hope you get some relief soon.

yeah its nasty for sure,and realy there is nothing the docs can/will give,although and this is not gospel just my experiance my doctor gave me antibiotics on day 2.for ofcourse a chest infection,and i was the one who suffered the least with breathing,now again it could be just luck,And the advice i would give folk is if you get it stay up,stay as active as you can,do breathing exercises and try as much as you can to fight it,i think when we get the "flu" feeling we tend to wrap up,dive under covers,i think thats the wrong approach,again just my opinion for what it is worth.

Some people believe a mask acts as a invincibility cloak and allows behaviours to revert to pre-covid days, when in fact its a supplementary control, providing some additional protection, and only when used correctly

Some people were acting like that before masks were made mandatory.

I would much prefer them to be selfishly ignoring social distancing when in my range whilst wearing a mask.

If they get themselves infected because they are dribbling simpletons, than short of putting some straw down, there isn't much we can do for these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The problem about the mask has always been how to deliver the message on it to the public. Distancing and hygiene are very obviously effective. Where it is made mandatory without any fluffy messages compliance is more likely because it can be enforced. The key measures have been forgotten by some of the public and our public health people and are only added as an afterthought these days. We're also a jaded 7 months on with no end in sight so it's a lot more challenging to reinforce those behaviours when people imagine a mask in a shop will do the job.

yeah its odd,as i said we all worse masks and were good at that whole side of things yet we all got it,and i had my nephew here for 2 days,sitting on me knee,feel asleep on the couch beside me,playing games with him,my sister and her husband in the house for hours,my friend was here one of the days 2 feet at other side of table for 4 hours and all negative?so you just dont know realy

The problem about the mask has always been how to deliver the message on it to the public. Distancing and hygiene are very obviously effective. Where it is made mandatory without any fluffy messages compliance is more likely because it can be enforced. The key measures have been forgotten by some of the public and our public health people and are only added as an afterthought these days. We're also a jaded 7 months on with no end in sight so it's a lot more challenging to reinforce those behaviours when people imagine a mask in a shop will do the job.

good points

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

JFC that is some absolutely rotten dose. Hope ye feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

yeah plus that... travelling and then mixing is not good combination.

• Advertisement

A doc on TV3 stated that Flu was less transmissible than this Covid-19.
    No if indeed that were true and Flu goes through the schools as much as anything. Can somebody tell me in lay mans terms, how Covid-19, being airborne also and more transmissible , is nothing to worry about in schools??

without the whole receptor cells in the chest stuff!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement