Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    People are bitching because pubs were closed for a few months due to a pandamic, how on earth do you think the level of societal change you are looking for would be received by the general public?
    Fuck them, if they don't like it they can go to some other country and do it.

I would like for there to be a country for the children born today to inherit.

I am dismissing those on all sides who cherry pick who to reference. 3 doctors may be providing some suggestions that they believe this is not very serious, or has passed, however most do not. Spain are still experiencing a death rate over 1%

Thousands die from flu each year.

It's never going to be zero covid in Spain or Ireland.

The most vulnerable have died and there is likely to be significant immunity in the population now.

March April deaths will never occur again because most vulnerable have died and population immunity is much greater.

There is no science behind current medical outlook. Flus and colds follow a familiar pattern. This is a cold albeit a new cold with less population immunity. Coronaviruses are the common colds. They always make a big impact when new and fall to low levels. This things impact will be gone by the time a vaccine is ready in t he middle of next year. China Australia and New Zealand are the only counties reliant on a vaccine. How did swine flu vaccine work out in our least pandemic?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

Was wondering why the thread was so quiet today.

Your probably spot on .... 6 days a week as keyboard warriors and a day out every Saturday lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Was wondering why the thread was so quiet today.

Ignorant people who can't take things for what they are. There must always be alterior motives to everything. They are the real sheep. Following conspiracy theory nut jobs and putting on the blinkers when it comes to real evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Yeah it's the fact though that they thought nothing of having people over and then sending them on their way so nonchantly that doesn't sit well.

Likelyhood is these guys have been in liquor stores and everything else in between. Obviously this crowd are fit an healthy to fight it but their actions are completely wrong.

It does come across like they don't understand how easily transmission happens. Even the cop was way more calm than he should have been.

Cop was quite impressive in holding his temper at their stupidity I thought. But was he holding their ID cards at the end with bare hands? But risky when they were all positive no, unless he's always careful to immediately sanitise.

• Advertisement

The most vulnerable have died and there is likely to be significant immunity in the population now.

March April deaths will never occur again because most vulnerable have died and population immunity is much greater.

There is no science behind current medical outlook. Flus and colds follow a familiar pattern. This is a cold albeit a new cold with less population immunity. Coronaviruses are the common colds. They always make a big impact when new and fall to low levels. This things impact will be gone by the time a vaccine is ready in t he middle of next year. China Australia and New Zealand are the only counties reliant on a vaccine. How did swine flu vaccine work out in our least pandemic?

All the real evidence is wrong. You have it figured and your more intelligent than the greatest minds across the world. It's just that simple is it.

I'm 40 and I have never had flu in my life as far as I know. Colds maybe 2 in last 20 years. Never been off sick in work with a cold in my life or bed ridden Maybe this will go against me. Who knows...

Your poor friend. Just shows you nobody is immune. You did,nt pick it up then?

You are very lucky. I hope you stay that way and for all of us as we manage through this pandemic.

I've been bed ridden a number of times
    throughout out my life with flues and infections. The last was 2018. I had flu and chest infection in January ish and then flu and sinus infection in October. It took me weeks to be ok again after the second bout. My immune system was probably low due to a lot of stress and personal issues. But still.

It makes me wonder how I'd cope with Covid. I fear it wouldn't be mild at all at all. I've upped my dose of vit D to 1600. I have a script for 800 of Desunin so I take 2 now. Also Vit C. My current focus is to lose about half a stone. Please Gods if I get the virus I'll fight it.

deisedevil wrote: »
    All the real evidence is wrong. You have it figured and your more intelligent than the greatest minds across the world. It's just that simple is it.

Read around the subject. Just a growing consensus among a lot of scientists and health professionals. These things burn out eventually. Some people think Mar May deaths will last forevva. They won't. Media's interest to terrorise population. You just need to.follow what is likely. what is reasonasble. Why wouldn't there be populationimmunity. There are other coronaviruses out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Seems to be huge pressure on testing in Dublin at the moment, waiting 31 hours so far and no sign of an appointment being sent to us. HSE said it is taking 24-48 hours.

If there is another 24-48 hours for the test and same again for results it’s not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

If between 1.7% and 5% of the Irish population has had covid to date this blows your wishful thinking out of the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

Read around the subject. Just a growing consensus among a lot of scientists and health professionals. These things burn out eventually. Some people think Mar May deaths will last forevva. They won't. Media's interest to terrorise population. You just need to.follow what is likely. what is reasonasble. Why wouldn't there be populationimmunity. There are other coronaviruses out there.

The other viruses don’t require ventilation

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

A busy day on the vaccine front.

Oxford trial restarting after its pause. The Medicines Health Regulatory Authority (MHRA) has said it is now safe to continue the trial after the investigation following illness of a paitent in the trial.

Pfizer also expanding its phase 3 trial by bringing more demographics into the trial bringing to a total enrollment of 44,000

You are very lucky. I hope you stay that way and for all of us as we manage through this pandemic.

I've been bed ridden a number of times
    throughout out my life with flues and infections. The last was 2018. I had flu and chest infection in January ish and then flu and sinus infection in October. It took me weeks to be ok again after the second bout. My immune system was probably low due to a lot of stress and personal issues. But still.

It makes me wonder how I'd cope with Covid. I fear it wouldn't be mild at all at all. I've upped my dose of vit D to 1600. I have a script for 800 of Desunin so I take 2 now. Also Vit C. My current focus is to lose about half a stone. Please Gods if I get the virus I'll fight it.

Yes I'm taking vitamin c and d. Wouldn't mind losing half a stone myself. Training for Dublin virtual marathon next month. Hopefully shed a bit with that. You have to stay positive. We will get through this. You are doing all the correct things.

Read around the subject. Just a growing consensus among a lot of scientists and health professionals. These things burn out eventually. Some people think Mar May deaths will last forevva. They won't. Media's interest to terrorise population. You just need to.follow what is likely. what is reasonasble. Why wouldn't there be population.immunity. There are other coronaviruses out there?

The "growing" consensus is absolutely dwarfed by the mountain of opinion from extremely knowledgable individuals and groups that are certain it is a severe virus. It's not mild. So why should anyone start listening to the crustys who protest against everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There are loads of other corona viruses. Only one C19.

We don’t need to focus on eventually , we need to deal, cope and behave towards now... the ‘ ahhh be grand ‘ outlook will have terrible consequences, we ALL need to be disciplined.

4 types of coronavirus make up about 10% of common colds, they are not the common cold. MERS is a coronavirus and killed over 30% of those who caught it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Read around the subject. Just a growing consensus among a lot of scientists and health professionals. These things burn out eventually. Some people think Mar May deaths will last forevva. They won't. Media's interest to terrorise population. You just need to.follow what is likely. what is reasonasble. Why wouldn't there be population.immunity. There are other coronaviruses out there?

Viruses just don't burn out. In every randomized sample population that has been involved in studies their has been no proven high levels of immunity in any population. Theirs a reason it is spiking again in Madrid. Theirs still lots of vulnerable people.

Way too many naive people believing in theories from people with a clear bias. Becoming more common now due fatigue setting in

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Good news, Oxford vaccine trial gets all clear to resume.

Gruffalox wrote: »
    If between 1.7% and 5% of the Irish population has had covid to date this blows your wishful thinking out of the water.

I think you know that number is nonsense.

There is natural immunity to this thing already.

We didn't start with a population of zero immunity.

Just think about when Europeans went to the Americas 400 hundred years ago. They didnt need to shoot them they just mixed with a population that literally had zero immunity because they were separated from Europe for thousands of years. More natives died of disease than being killed.

We all have had other coronaviruses in our lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

HSE rejects senior doctor's criticism of Covid restrictions

The Health Service Executive has said it "dissociates itself from and rejects" comments made by a senior doctor who said that Covid-19 is less serious than the annual flu and draconian restrictions are no longer required to contain it.

The claims, made by Dr Martin Feeley, were reported by The Irish Times.

Dr Feeley, who is Clinical Director of the Dublin Midlands Hospital Group, said the measures brought in by the Government made sense at the time, but given what is now known about the virus, they are no longer required.

He said people at low risk of the virus should be allowed to be exposed to it, which would enable the country to develop herd immunity, thereby protecting vulnerable groups.

Dr Feeley said any measures to contain the virus needed to take people's quality of life into account, and that the restrictions have disproportionately affected young people.

Responding to The Irish Times report, HSE Chief Clinical Officer Dr Colm Henry said: "For the avoidance of any doubt, the position as stated by Dr Feeley in the Irish Times today is not the position of the HSE on this important subject."

A HSE statement added: "The WHO declared a Covid-19 pandemic on 11 March.

"There have been over 28 million cases and 900,000 deaths worldwide, many among older and vulnerable populations.

"This is a novel coronavirus for which there is no cure or vaccination currently and against which our population have no immunity.

"Herd immunity for an infectious disease occurs when a sufficient proportion of the population develops a sustained immunity either through vaccination or previous infection.

"Relying on infection, as we now know, has the power to overwhelm healthcare systems and lead to large-scale illness and death, particularly in vulnerable populations.

"According to the WHO, the threshold for establishing herd immunity is not yet clear.

"Neither is the duration of post-infection immunity known. The most effective way of protecting older people and vulnerable groups is not by expecting them to protect themselves, but by everybody adhering to the public health advice that will limit transmission of the virus between individuals and households."

The World Health Organization says data to date suggests 80% of Covid-19 infections are mild or asymptomatic, 15% are severe infection, requiring oxygen and 5% are critical, requiring ventilation.

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »
    Viruses just don't burn out. In every randomized sample population that has been involved in studies their has been no proven high levels of immunity in any population. Theirs a reason it is spiking again in Madrid. Theirs still lots of vulnerable people.

Way too many naive people believing in theories from people with a clear bias. Becoming more common now due fatigue setting in

Burn out in that they have no material impact. Covid 19 is here to stay, but if it no longer kills in big numbers what's the problem. Swine flu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

HSE rejects senior doctor's criticism of Covid restrictions

The Health Service Executive has said it "dissociates itself from and rejects" comments made by a senior doctor who said that Covid-19 is less serious than the annual flu and draconian restrictions are no longer required to contain it.

The claims, made by Dr Martin Feeley, were reported by The Irish Times.

Dr Feeley, who is Clinical Director of the Dublin Midlands Hospital Group, said the measures brought in by the Government made sense at the time, but given what is now known about the virus, they are no longer required.

He said people at low risk of the virus should be allowed to be exposed to it, which would enable the country to develop herd immunity, thereby protecting vulnerable groups.

Dr Feeley said any measures to contain the virus needed to take people's quality of life into account, and that the restrictions have disproportionately affected young people.

Responding to The Irish Times report, HSE Chief Clinical Officer Dr Colm Henry said: "For the avoidance of any doubt, the position as stated by Dr Feeley in the Irish Times today is not the position of the HSE on this important subject."

A HSE statement added: "The WHO declared a Covid-19 pandemic on 11 March.

"There have been over 28 million cases and 900,000 deaths worldwide, many among older and vulnerable populations.

"This is a novel coronavirus for which there is no cure or vaccination currently and against which our population have no immunity.

"Herd immunity for an infectious disease occurs when a sufficient proportion of the population develops a sustained immunity either through vaccination or previous infection.

"Relying on infection, as we now know, has the power to overwhelm healthcare systems and lead to large-scale illness and death, particularly in vulnerable populations.

"According to the WHO, the threshold for establishing herd immunity is not yet clear.

"Neither is the duration of post-infection immunity known. The most effective way of protecting older people and vulnerable groups is not by expecting them to protect themselves, but by everybody adhering to the public health advice that will limit transmission of the virus between individuals and households."

The World Health Organization says data to date suggests 80% of Covid-19 infections are mild or asymptomatic, 15% are severe infection, requiring oxygen and 5% are critical, requiring ventilation.

The good doctor has kicked a hornets nest.

I think you know that number is nonsense.

There is natural immunity to this thing already.

We didn't start with a population of zero immunity.

Just think about when Europeans went to the Americas 400 hundred years ago. They didnt need to shoot them they just mixed with a population that literally had zero immunity because they were separated from Europe for thousands of years. More natives died of disease than being killed.

We all have had other coronaviruses in our lifetime.

Link to the scientific research that proves that if one has previously encountered coronaviruses there is immunity to covid 19, including percentages of such claimed immunity.
    Note older people will have encountered and overcome far more coronaviruses than younger people and yet susceptibility to a poor outcome from covid increases with age

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

lukas8888 wrote: »
    Good news, Oxford vaccine trial gets all clear to resume.

Any chance you have a link?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54132066

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Whatever about the rest of the statement but I think we can safely say this couldn't possibly be true. Not anywhere near those numbers.

I know it is a massive pain in the hole for (some) younger people to feel restricted.
    It would be good to take a wide perspective. Looking back from the future the story will tell of a novel virus that emerged that posed an especially grave threat to older and sicker people. Will you want to know that for that short year you restricted yourself somewhat to protect that demographic as much as possible because they are your tribe, or will you prefer to remember that you kicked out at any shackles, and said but it doesn't affect me.
    I say a year because that is a full cycle that gives one a good overview and understanding. Way back in March I said to myself I am going to hold back on saying I know much about this whole thing until March 2021. Any other timescale is too short.
    We have done just over the 6 months of that year. We need to see what happens in Autumn and Winter, and to continue to be cautious until we have done 1 full cycle. To mind the tribe. It will pass quickly. There are lots of cool quiet things one can be doing while letting time pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

google is your friend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Gruffalox wrote: »

Your assuming like the scary chats there's no existing resilience to coronaviruses out there, that's why the models aren't making any sense, we've all these cases but nothing like the amount of deaths we were expecting, where's all the dead. It's a coronavirus we live with them every day, this was new and took the weak.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement