Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Your assuming like the scary chats there's no existing resilience to coronaviruses out there, that's why the models aren't making any sense, we've all these cases but nothing like the amount of deaths we were expecting, where's all the dead. It's a coronavirus we live with them every day, this was new and took the weak.

Please. Le Scareee Chat. Said in a French accent. I will happily own it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Seems to be huge pressure on testing in Dublin at the moment, waiting 31 hours so far and no sign of an appointment being sent to us. HSE said it is taking 24-48 hours.

If there is another 24-48 hours for the test and same again for results it’s not great.

I’m in North Kildare. Discussion with doc 330 and referred for testing. Text from HSE with appt arrived at 345 and test is for tomorrow morning in city west. Maybe because I’m a teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Any beers yet?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Any beers yet?

Don’t think so but 250 positive swabs last 24 (few pages back)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Link to the scientific research that proves that if one has previously encountered coronaviruses there is immunity to covid 19, including percentages of such claimed immunity.
    Note older people will have encountered and overcome far more coronaviruses than younger people and yet susceptibility to a poor outcome from covid increases with age

Our immune system weakens as we age, so if you are old it doesn't matter how many viruses you encountered and saw off during your lifetime, you will still be highly vulnerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Any beers yet?

At this point I'd prefer to hear the word 'cases' used again, much as I hate it! 'Beers' is getting boring!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Your assuming like the scary chats there's no existing resilience to coronaviruses out there, that's why the models aren't making any sense, we've all these cases but nothing like the amount of deaths we were expecting, where's all the dead. It's a coronavirus we live with them every day, this was new and took the weak.

I was just thinking that during this pandemic, which is supposed to be the most deadly since the Spanish flu, I don’t know anyone who has been sick and I don’t know anyone who has died.
    There has been a monumental overreaction and no sign of common sense being applied.
    I would like to know when this ‘emergency’ will be declared over. Will it be when there are no new cases for 3 months, or 6 months............or will it be when we all get a bit of sense and just get on with our lives, virus or no virus. I am absolutely fed up with the madness that it going on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

I gather that the new pr company is up and running, so will it be woe betide anyone with a differing veiwpoint then the government, or nphet, or even a questioning position.
    This must not happen and we should watch very carefully especially if they normally get paid up to 250,000 a month.
    We should also make sure any new plan is backed up with a list of research papers and why they each are included or if excluded why.
    They and the government should allow proper debate and answer questions clearly and promptly and not deflect.
    Say the truth also if they dont have an answer and get back with one as quick as possible. etc etc
    I am sure others here can add more from all sides of all the issues of a complex problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

At this point I'd prefer to hear the word 'cases' used again, much as I hate it! 'Beers' is getting boring!

Me too! Although I said I’d use beers to be on the safe side :D

4 types of coronavirus make up about 10% of common colds, they are not the common cold. MERS is a coronavirus and killed over 30% of those who caught it.

One of those four is OC43. It's believed that it's emergence led to the Russian Flu. A pandemic that killed over a million people in 1889/90. Fair chance the other three had similar histories.

• Advertisement

Hardyn wrote: »
    One of those four is OC43. It's believed that it's emergence led to the Russian Flu. A pandemic that killed over a million peopls in 1889/90. Fair chance the other three had similar histories.

How many has this killed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I know it is a massive pain in the hole for (some) younger people to feel restricted.
    It would be good to take a wide perspective. Looking back from the future the story will tell of a novel virus that emerged that posed an especially grave threat to older and sicker people. Will you want to know that for that short year you restricted yourself somewhat to protect that demographic as much as possible because they are your tribe, or will you prefer to remember that you kicked out at any shackles, and said but it doesn't affect me.
    I say a year because that is a full cycle that gives one a good overview and understanding. Way back in March I said to myself I am going to hold back on saying I know much about this whole thing until March 2021. Any other timescale is too short.
    We have done just over the 6 months of that year. We need to see what happens in Autumn and Winter, and to continue to be cautious until we have done 1 full cycle. To mind the tribe. It will pass quickly. There are lots of cool quiet things one can be doing while letting time pass.

Staring down the barrel in March, days passed incredibly slowly when we were all asked to stay home, especially with the anxiety of the unknown. It’s incredible to think that was 6 months ago at this stage, and here we are talking about phase 3 trials, etc.

While this isn’t nearly over, there’ll be a day we look back and think wow, it’s been 2 or 3 years since that infamous March. Hopefully we’ll all appreciate where we are at that point.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I was just thinking that during this pandemic, which is supposed to be the most deadly since the Spanish flu, I don’t know anyone who has been sick and I don’t know anyone who has died.
    There has been a monumental overreaction and no sign of common sense being applied.
    I would like to know when this ‘emergency’ will be declared over. Will it be when there are no new cases for 3 months, or 6 months............or will it be when we all get a bit of sense and just get on with our lives, virus or no virus. I am absolutely fed up with the madness that it going on now.

I know about ten who got it.

Nobody hospitalised or close to death.

One lad not great for a few months though and very fit beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

my brother in law died age 42 in March in New Jersey , no underlying conditions, very fit. you really cannot underestimate this. Its a bit like russian roulette, you do not know how it will effect you if you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Good for you, and I hope it keeps that way - by people going out of their way to help keep everyone safe (not just those who are fed up with the situation....everyone - it's what a caring society does)

I know two people who had it... one aged 50 and one aged 45. The 50yr old recovered quickly with the often talked about flu like symptoms being the only issue. The 45 year old has continuing lung and heart issues, going on for five months now - no previous conditions of note.

I also know many others with underlying conditions that are leading perfectly normal lives and not everyone would be aware that they are managing their various conditions with long term medication. They are the next in line for whatever wave strikes us now. Will they be written off in the drive to conquer impatience and frustration?

I hope you always enjoy good health and that the virus does not visit you or your loved ones .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

pc7 wrote: »
    Don’t think so but 250 positive swabs last 24 (few pages back)

Hopefully most of these are announced. Otherwise we could hit 400 with a backlog built in on Tuesday.

Queue meltdown. Gerry Killeen, Tomas Ryan on wall to wall radio and TV.

deisedevil wrote: »
    The "growing" consensus is absolutely dwarfed by the mountain of opinion from extremely knowledgable individuals and groups that are certain it is a severe virus. It's not mild. So why should anyone start listening to the crustys who protest against everything.

I don't even think nphet would agree with the above.

It is mild to most. There is consensus to that across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

zinfandel wrote: »
    my brother in law died age 42 in March in New Jersey , no underlying conditions, very fit. you really cannot underestimate this. Its a bit like russian roulette, you do not know how it will effect you if you get it.

How many young people have dropped dead on the GAA, Soccer or Rugby pitch from SADS . All with the same story "no underlying conditions". The reality is unless you've spent your entire life under a battery of MRI, Cat scans and blood tests, you never know what is really going on under the bonnet. Correlation does not imply causation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I know it is a massive pain in the hole for (some) younger people to feel restricted.
    It would be good to take a wide perspective. Looking back from the future the story will tell of a novel virus that emerged that posed an especially grave threat to older and sicker people. Will you want to know that for that short year you restricted yourself somewhat to protect that demographic as much as possible because they are your tribe, or will you prefer to remember that you kicked out at any shackles, and said but it doesn't affect me.
    I say a year because that is a full cycle that gives one a good overview and understanding. Way back in March I said to myself I am going to hold back on saying I know much about this whole thing until March 2021. Any other timescale is too short.
    We have done just over the 6 months of that year. We need to see what happens in Autumn and Winter, and to continue to be cautious until we have done 1 full cycle. To mind the tribe. It will pass quickly. There are lots of cool quiet things one can be doing while letting time pass.

All very easy for a lot of people to say “let’s just give it a year”. A lot of people are coming out of this pandemic quite nicely - WFM on full wages, thousands saved on child care, money saved by not having to attend a child’s birthday party every week, while they could sit at home during lockdown with their families in their nice little bubble.

Strumms wrote: »
    There are loads of other corona viruses. Only one C19.

We don’t need to focus on eventually , we need to deal, cope and behave towards now... the ‘ ahhh be grand ‘ outlook will have terrible consequences, we ALL need to be disciplined.

I get it. I will still adhere to guidelines but I will not listen to the narrative that we are all likely to be hooked up to a ventilator this winter. The worst is over. For people's mental health you couldn't seriously listen to that all winter from hse nphet. Not all 5 million are at serious risk more like a few hundred like every winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

All very easy for a lot of people to say “let’s just give it a year”. A lot of people are coming out of this pandemic quite nicely - WFM on full wages, thousands saved on child care, money saved by not having to attend a child’s birthday party every week, while they could sit at home during lockdown with their families in their nice little bubble.

I’m in my late 30s and broke up with someone over lockdown, and I wonder now will I ever meet anyone in time to to be able to start a family. I know a lot of people in the same boat. A year is a very long time for some people and what happens in that year will have consequences for the rest of their lives.

I do not relish giving it a year. But it is the fact of the matter. We cannot know enough about it until time has passed. We cannot undo what happened in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I get it. I will still adhere to guidelines but I will not listen to the narrative that we are all likely to be hooked up to a ventilator this winter. The worst is over. For people's mental health you couldn't seriously listen to that all winter.

There's no narrative that we are all likely to be hooked up to a ventilator other than from the minority of semi retired docs and unqualified twitter commentators that are telling us everyone is overreacting. My take is that all people are generally saying is we have to continue to take precautions and not dismiss the risk that this could get on top of us again. I am interested to see how the 'no deaths' pans out though, and the reasons for the apparent weakening of the virus, but perhaps it hasn't weakened, perhaps it's just not reaching the vulnerable as much right now. Time will tell I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

zinfandel wrote: »

Im so sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I’m in my late 30s and broke up with someone over lockdown, and I wonder now will I ever meet anyone in time to to be able to start a family. I know a lot of people in the same boat. A year is a very long time for some people and what happens in that year will have consequences for the rest of their lives.

It's alright Debs, 9 more days and you can start telling the Gentlemen to form an orderly que. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Reports say there have been 30,000 plus cases with 1,700 plus deaths in Ireland.

What you just said shows how deep you are within your own bubble. There is roughly just under 5 million people in Ireland and how many people would you interact with in your life on a regular basis? A few dozen?

With 1700 deaths most people will not know of someone who died. But they died.
    As for the 30000 cases not everyone is going to scream it from the rooftops they contracted Corona too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I get it. I will still adhere to guidelines but I will not listen to the narrative that we are all likely to be hooked up to a ventilator this winter. The worst is over. For people's mental health you couldn't seriously listen to that all winter from hse nphet. Not all 5 million are at serious risk more like a few hundred like every winter.

As previously said, no one is saying that we are all likely to get hooked up to a vent.... but some certainly will.

You do all you can to make sure you don't and if everyone else does the same, we can ensure that very few will actually end up in that situation.

The problem is that when that happens - effort and sacrifice = good results... some think that the resulting low level of serious cases, means that the effort and sacrifice was wasted - it wasn't that serious after all.

You can't win with some people and I don't think they will ever be on the same page as most others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I’m in North Kildare. Discussion with doc 330 and referred for testing. Text from HSE with appt arrived at 345 and test is for tomorrow morning in city west. Maybe because I’m a teacher?

Maybe but the person in our house is 7 so in school so not too different to a teacher in that potentially a class at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

It’s time to lockdown Dublin???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

This.
    We certainly aren't in any way all experiencing the same pain from these restrictions - for some like myself working in IT, the restrictions have probably even had somewhat of a positive effect on my life and lifestyle - but I would be very conscious that it has been a horrible, disastrous time for quite a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

It's alright Debs, 9 more days and you can start telling the Gentlemen to form an orderly que. ;)

I'm sure for DebDynamite this is a genuine concern. We can all make light of it but for her it's real right now. I'm sure everything will work out fine for her & she will relax after the initial thoughts of panic.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement