Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

rusty cole wrote: »
    A doc on TV3 stated that Flu was less transmissible than this Covid-19.
    No if indeed that were true and Flu goes through the schools as much as anything. Can somebody tell me in lay mans terms, how Covid-19, being airborne also and more transmissible , is nothing to worry about in schools??

without the whole receptor cells in the chest stuff!

How long would you like to close down schools for?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No if indeed that were true and Flu goes through the schools as much as anything. Can somebody tell me in lay mans terms, how Covid-19, being airborne also and more transmissible , is nothing to worry about in schools??

R0 for COVID is estimated at twice that of flu'. We have vaccines for flu' which are targeted at those seen to be most at risk of a serious infection, otherwise we let it run its course. Schools are deemed controlled or controllable environments and kids do seem far less prone to catching it. On balance the many benefits of being in school outweigh the COVID risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

No if indeed that were true and Flu goes through the schools as much as anything.

Common colds and sniffles go through schools. Flus way less so.

How long would you like to close down schools for?

I wouldn't, where in my post does it say that?. I was asking a question in the hope of an answer. what you did albeit in a non clever way was to answer a question with an unrelated question.. bravo or brava! and you got your two clever pats on the back to boot..well done you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

I hate these pieces in papers they give out the wrong message, cases are rising again so the pandemic is not over, I tend to skip these opinion pieces as there just there to argue the opposite of whats actually known to be true.

Pay no heed

Shin

shinzon wrote: »
    I hate these pieces in papers they give out the wrong message, cases are rising again so the pandemic is not over, I tend to skip these opinion pieces as there just there to argue the opposite of whats actually known to be true.

Pay no heed

Shin

Is the number of sick people actually rising though?

Less than 1 per of icu beds or general hospital beds are covid patients.

Leo Varadker tweeted the same thing recently.

What would Dr. Leo know though?

The minority view is growing.

First time Irish Times have openly questioned were we are at in Pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Pandemic >>> epidemic >>> endemic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭phormium

I definitely think the social distancing has gone out the window a bit when masks came in. I've just passed our local Credit Union which always has had queues down the street, there is not a hint of distancing in it bar an odd one, queue must be 30 people or so and they are basically right behind each other, some with masks but not all, admittedly it's outside but they are still very close. Now I know if they spread out sufficiently the queue would be very very long, I know businesses close by were complaining when the queue was blocking their entrances.

It's not just there, people talking in the street are getting much closer than they would have, although it's very hard hold any sort of conversation 6 ft away from someone! The masks have definitely given an added security to people whether it works or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

How is a writer for the Irish Times qualified enough to call an end to the global pandemic?

Majority of what we call "Flu" is not actually Flu but a common cold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

owlbethere wrote: »
    How is a writer for the Irish Times qualified enough to call an end to the global pandemic?

If you actually read it you wouldn’t need to ask that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

So, Dublin South East currently has the highest incidence rate in the country, by quite a margin at 93.8. Curious as to why, I live here and compliance with mask wearing and social distancing has seemed terrific. Granted, we have Dundrum shopping centre, which is very busy again, but shops do seem adamant on policing mask wearing, restricting numbers etc. Security on the doors.

The area has long struggled to have enough schools to cater for the population, are they overcrowded and the incidences are primarily in those kids?

Or, Dublin South East follows the Luas line quite closely for a long, long stretch. Could it be that, as people ramp up commuting again?

Is he calling the end?

You do understand the word MAY.

He's questioning it, saying there are alternative view points out their given deaths and serious illness are a mere fraction of March April for several months now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

I admire your genuine concern but surely you were doing social distancing, mask in shops etc. rather than going around hugging and sneezing at people. People need to calm down a bit and begin to see things a little more on a macro level.

My primary school aged children are also close Contacts, so they would have been in school for them 24 hours.. Do you see where I am going with this..

Fact based science...it's becoming obvious.

My primary school aged children are also close Contacts, so they would have been in school for them 24 hours.. Do you see where I am going with this..

We've had 54 schools out of 4000 with no evidence of onward transmission or close contact transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Any indication of cases to be reported today?

We've had 4 cases out of 4000 schools with no evidence of onward transmission or close contact transmission.

Are you serious. There is at least 50 schools including my own that has confirmed cases. Mine has 2 confirmed cases from the same class.

• Advertisement

the corpo wrote: »
    So, Dublin South East currently has the highest incidence rate in the country, by quite a margin at 93.8. Curious as to why, I live here and compliance with mask wearing and social distancing has seemed terrific. Granted, we have Dundrum shopping centre, which is very busy again, but shops do seem adamant on policing mask wearing, restricting numbers etc. Security on the doors.

The area has long struggled to have enough schools to cater for the population, are they overcrowded and the incidences are primarily in those kids?

Or, Dublin South East follows the Luas line quite closely for a long, long stretch. Could it be that, as people ramp up commuting again?

Where do you get current incidence in your area?

Is it just Dublin that tells you by area as apposed to county data?

Shift worker in my place of employment was symptomatic earlier in the week and identified 25 contacts who work on their shift who were at a house party with them on Saturday night. Needless to say management were a bit anxious to hear the result of the test and relieved to find it was negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Fact based science...it's becoming obvious.

That clip is from 24th August when there was 1 death in the UK.

There were 32 deaths the other day.

Just saying, not looking for a back and forth argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Are you serious. There is at least 50 schools including my own that has confirmed cases. Mine has 2 confirmed cases.

Sure there is a primary school local to me (dublin) and one child tested positive. All the other kids in the class are told to self-isolate now. It's out there in schools. As expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Are you serious. There is at least 50 schools including my own that has confirmed cases. Mine has 2 confirmed cases from the same class.

None have been outbreaks, all cases have been caught outside of the school.

Sorry Typo it's 54 schools out of 4000, None of the Covid-19 cases identified in 54 schools so far have led to outbreaks https://jrnl.ie/5200997

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Rang doctor as have cough(I'm sure it's a cold but going by book).

I'm waiting for call to go for test. Self isolating obviously.

Ex still lives in house and she has cough also. She is refusing to call doctor, won't self isolate, total head in sand.

She went to shop yesterday while coughing and no doubt will go today as she said she didn't want anything when I said I was putting in an online order.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Rang doctor as have cough(I'm sure it's a cold but going by book).

I'm waiting for call to go for test. Self isolating obviously.

Ex still lives in house and she has cough also. She is refusing to call doctor, won't self isolate, total head in sand.

She went to shop yesterday while coughing and no doubt will go today as she said she didn't want anything when I said I was putting in an online order.

Selfish woman.

Blondini wrote: »
    That clip is from 24th August when there was 1 death in the UK.

There were 32 deaths the other day.

Just saying, not looking for a back and forth argument.

Watch the first 1/4 of this for current situation

• Advertisement

Sorry Typo it's 54 schools out of 4000, None of the Covid-19 cases identified in 54 schools so far have led to outbreaks https://jrnl.ie/5200997

So far... And leaving 24 hours before the HSE contacts parents and children in the school from different classes could lead to huge outbreaks was my point. All good and well sending the class home, but children have friends in other classes too. A parent could be embarrassed and not say anything which would result in close contacts going to their classes for 24 hours and could lead to absolute chaos... Which is why contact tracing needs to be improved.

BTW Are close contacts given priority in terms of testing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement