Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Staines throwing out the scenes from Bergamo and dead bodies in trucks in NY. We are so far from that.
    It would be interesting for RTE to bring on an actual working doctor in one of the busiest COVID hospitals like Beaumont or the Mater to give an actual opinion on the way things are right now. We don't seem to be seeing news reports of armageddon ICUs from Spain/France, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Does anyone know what our ICU capacity is now?

Capacity is c.280 and current availability is c.45. Not a lot of runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

It would be interesting for RTE to bring on an actual working doctor in one of the busiest COVID hospitals like Beaumont or the Mater to give an actual opinion on the way things are right now. We don't seem to be seeing news reports of armageddon ICUs from Spain/France, for example.

They did.

https://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2020/0617/1148025-rte-investigates-inside-irelands-covid-battle/

There's a surge plan in place, same as during March. I know the CUH have an entire ward sealed off for backup, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

There's a surge plan in place, same as during March. I know the CUH have an entire ward sealed off for backup, for example.

Yes, but you really don't want to have to go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

there was a bit there on the Claire Byrne show where the experts are hammering home the message of indoor, household gatherings being high risk for covid infection. Also one of them saying we are heading towards another lockdown by Christmas time or the new year of we don't act now.

Basically we all have a part to play to follow the guidelines that are laid out.

This is the message that many in the medical and science fields are hammering out. Why doesn't the government step in and make this happen? I heard on the news over the weekend that in England, people are faced with up to 10,000 pounds fine of they are caught breaking isolation rules. That's proper order imo. We really need our government to bring in large fines for people who are going to break the guidelines on masks and social distancing and isolation guidelines.

There was a blond guest on the show by video call. Her name was Niamh. The tone she was speaking in displays she's very playe that her young generation is locked up. It's overly dramatic for crying out loud. You're talking about restricting your close contacts and social gatherings for the foreseeable future to hammer down on the virus. <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We have had six months to increase ICU capacity

Yes, but you really don't want to have to go there.
    You don't, and the CUH certainly doesn't need it atm (1 patient) but it's there if needed. I assume every other hospital is the same.

owlbethere wrote: »
    there was a bit there on the Claire Byrne show where the experts are hammering home the message of indoor, household gatherings being high risk for covid infection. Also one of them saying we are heading towards another lockdown by Christmas time or the new year of we don't act now.

Basically we all have a part to play to follow the guidelines that are laid out.

This is the message that many in the medical and science fields are hammering out. Why doesn't the government step in and make this happen? I heard on the news over the weekend that in England, people are faced with up to 10,000 pounds fine of they are caught breaking isolation rules. That's proper order imo. We really need our government to bring in large fines for people who are going to break the guidelines on masks and social distancing and isolation guidelines.

There was a blond guest on the show by video call. Her name was Niamh. The tone she was speaking in displays she's very playe that her young generation is locked up. It's overly dramatic for crying out loud. You're talking about restricting your close contacts and social gatherings for the foreseeable future to hammer down on the virus. A night out for a lot of young people is just a chance to dress up like dirty, cheap prostitutes and get drunk and behave like dirty disgraces.
    That's a bit uncalled for, to be fair?

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The absolute cheek of her . Shut the vulnerable in so the young ones can party

My thoughts exactly.

That's the 1st of July, I'm talking about right now.

To serve what purpose?

Does the original documentary not give a fairly good idea of what happens when hospital numbers increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

I was looking at an old spreadsheet and I think there is an extra 275 from private hospiat beds but I could be wrong on that.

So somewhere between 500-569 in Total

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Lock the airport, shut down the border (army can police it) and full lockdown for 8 weeks.

Then what?

john4321 wrote: »
    To serve what purpose?

Does the original documentary not give a fairly good idea of what happens when hospital numbers increase?
    As far as the public is concerned all they're hearing is numbers and not seeing anything. I think if they want to make an actual difference in the public's eyes they should show them.

Lock the airport, shut down the border (army can police it) and full lockdown for 8 weeks.

Then what?
    Pick up the pieces from our homes of rubble as we arise from armageddon.
    Replace 'our homes' with 'the economy'

I was looking at an old spreadsheet and I think there is an extra 275 from private hospiat beds but I could be wrong on that.

So somewhere between 500-569 in Total

Was the private hospital deal not knocked on the head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

A night out for a lot of young people is just a chance to dress up like dirty, cheap prostitutes and get drunk and behave like dirty disgraces.

What the f**k is that?? Horrendous comment. You have disgraced yourself there.

That's a bit uncalled for, to be fair?

That's exactly what a night out was pre covid for a lot of young people. Not everyone but a lot of people. Dresses so skimpy, I wear more going to bed. All it is getting dressed up to wear fcuk all and get drunk and fall about the place.

That's exactly what a night out was pre covid for a lot of young people. Not everyone but a lot of people. Dresses so skimpy, I wear more going to bed. All it is getting dressed up to wear fcuk all and get drunk and fall about the place.
    Disgraceful comments. Grow up a little bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

There should be a medical scientist reserve created.

People with science qualifications could train to carry out these tests and be called on for future pandemics. Similarly people could be trained in track and trace etc.

The academy have a lot to answer for due to their past restrictive criteria. There were plenty of people I know with primary degrees/masters and even PhDs who would have loved to have transitioned into a career as a medical scientist but couldn't face completing an entirely new degree to qualify. There should have been conversion courses for experienced biologists to transfer over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

The celeb doctors and experts don’t help. Not hard to sneer at some like O’Toole when you full well know they’re increasing their profile in the media from this.

I know at the start, the one input that really affected me was Catherine Motherway I think on prime time. The likes of O’Toole and celeb docs are constant scaremongers, while loving the media coverage where they get to play referee in a tone deaf Claire Byrne Covid quiz.

Economic destruction across the capital tonight and they are having a fcuking quiz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

The situation is bad in Spain.
    https://apnews.com/94f0ded19728c9f7e33748b88cdf7019
    20% of all hospitals beds and 40% of ICUs in Madrid are currently occupied by covid patients. Don't see how that could be considered anything but a serious situation given we are only just heading towards colder weather season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Economic destruction across the capital tonight and they are having a fcuking quiz

Sure it’s grand! The likes of Staines and co, would love nothing better then economic ruin!

Bit of a silly comment.given when ever you were their age, what ever you wore probably made you look like a cheap prostitute in the eyes of older people, if you followed the fashion of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Was the private hospital deal not knocked on the head

I'm not sure . I thought the state paid for those beds. Didn't Goodman benefit from it

As far as the public is concerned all they're hearing is numbers and not seeing anything. I think if they want to make an actual difference in the public's eyes they should show them.

What would it achieve at present? Thankfully general hospital numbers and ICU numbers are low at present.

Surely the original documentary does a good job of showing what an increase of cases can lead to and hopefully we won't have to see it again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'm not sure . I thought the state paid for those beds. Didn't Goodman benefit from it

The deal is they can go back and utilise them if necessary since the original contract ended

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement