Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Expect a few other counties to move to Level 3 this week. Media have been doing the usual, giving off warning signs. We saw it last week when the new plan was announced. So don't be surprised.

Mentioning the counties last night and today.

UK announcing measures for 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

is_that_so wrote: »
    Sweden's approach may have worked for Sweden, having a population of Swedes makes it work a lot better! Distancing can work for all.

25% of swedens population have a foreign background.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

growleaves wrote: »
    Why are we in a political union with this alien race of otherworldly beings?

The strange universe of Northern European Protestanism is one we daren't enter because we don't know what mind-bending things we will behold there.
    Yeah they are strange!
    One of the key characteristics of Swedish culture is that Swedes are egalitarian in nature, humble and find boasting absolutely unacceptable.

In many ways, Swedes prefer to listen to others as opposed to ensuring that their own voice is heard.

As an example, work hard and play hard are not common concepts in Sweden. People work hard but not too hard, they go out and enjoy themselves, but without participating in anything extreme.

https://www.commisceo-global.com/resources/country-guides/sweden-guide

25% of swedens population have a foreign background.
    But they live in Sweden so not sure what point you hope to make with this.

Expect a few other counties to move to Level 3 this week. Media have been doing the usual, giving off warning signs. We saw it last week when the new plan was announced. So don't be surprised.

I think the UK message was more of a warning than a plan - this is what ye face for 6 months unless....
    Their plan would be around a 2.5 on our scale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

UK looks to bee going towards zerocovid after all.

https://twitter.com/devisridhar/status/1308398490570174468?s=20

lukas8888 wrote: »
    I see this 40% living alone quoted widely but the highest percentage i can find is 25%.Link please.
    I linked above, it's 40% of households.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

lukas8888 wrote: »
    I see this 40% living alone quoted widely but the highest percentage i can find is 25%.Link please.

Whatever the % of people living alone in Sweden is, it's not gonna reflect properly how they interact.

Most adult Swedes if living alone will be in a relationship of some sort, could be very, very casual, with another adult.

And even if they have children it makes little difference, so a lot of those "living alone" figures are in close contact with another household with differing numbers of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I’m listening to the radio saying that community transmission is a threat to schools, schools aren’t a threat to the community and my brain is going.... But if you don’t know where the cases are coming from then how can you say this?

And no doubt the figures will be manipulated, we've seen the factories have vanished from the news and the cases being put down as work place transmission, I bet they'll put schools down as community transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

But they live in Sweden so not sure what point you hope to make with this.

Just that the point that they live and act so differently to the rest of the world is lessened, we tend to blame 5% for breaking the rules in Ireland, if we are saying 25% of the population of Sweden don't have a Swedish it is relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

You can't really trust the community transmission figures anymore, to be honest. They don't even trace where cases are coming from, just toss them in with community transmission.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

It's been a long time since the beer was counted. It was a relief to get the heads up early in the day to stop thinking about it, I miss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

UK looks to bee going towards zerocovid after all.

https://twitter.com/devisridhar/status/1308398490570174468?s=20

That's a big Uturn. What happened over there that they want to suppress it as much as possible? There was something on the news over the weekend of some large fines of 10,000 pounds over in the UK for people found in breach of some of the guidelines. Seems heavy but its absolutely it appropriate to get people to comply. It's badly needed here in Ireland for everyone to do their bit at suppressing the virus. Didn't Ireland want an all Ireland approach at one stage? They wanted NI to take on our approach and guidelines or to have them nearly the same. Would this mean that Ireland would jow have to adapt the same or similar measures?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

It's a good solid approach from the UK tbh. Just be honest and treat people like adults. Time for our government to be honest with people also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I linked above, it's 40% of households.

40% of households live alone, meaning 60% of households have at least 2 occupants. So at the very most 33.3% of the population live alone.
    There's a difference been number or households and population. Maybe that's where the confusion is coming from.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    And no doubt the figures will be manipulated, we've seen the factories have vanished from the news and the cases being put down as work place transmission, I bet they'll put schools down as community transmission.

The only thing there is no doubt about is the continual accusations of data manipulation

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-1914-dayepidemiologyreports/COVID-19_14_day_epidemiology_report_20200921_Website.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

s1ippy wrote: »
    It's been a long time since the beer was counted. It was a relief to get the heads up early in the day to stop thinking about it, I miss it.

Will be a heavy Tuesday today I'd imagine, as is the style. 500 would be no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Social settings mainly - communions, parties, other gatherings etc. - like other places.

Large hospital testing patients ...every area with massive cases has a major general hospital involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Large hospital testing patients ...every area with massive cases has a major general hospital involved.

If they don't live in the area they wouldn't be counted for that area though, so not sure that stands up. People from everywhere use those hospitals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yeah they are strange!

Wow so they believe in equality and they dislike arrogance and excess. I've never met any Irish people like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

299 positive swabs out of 12495 tests. 2.4% positivity rate. Not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

299 positive swabs out of 12495 tests. 2.4% positivity rate. Not too bad.

It was at 1.2 about two weeks ago. It could easily double again mid October

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

s1ippy wrote: »

If you are waiting all day wondering what the numbers will be like its not good for your mental health. Looking at weekly trends are much more helpful. That's why they should move away from daily figures and just release the weekly figures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Oranage2 wrote: »
    It was at 1.2 about two weeks ago. It could easily double again mid October

It could. Or it could halve again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

2ndcoming wrote:
    The deaths are lower because we have a much more accurate accounting of active cases now. In March/April we probably had about 100,000 cases nationwide.
    The care homes are now protected, older people are being far more careful. Those getting the virus now have far higher vitamin d levels and are generally healthier people.
    That's why the deaths have dropped.
    Honestly suggesting that counting prevents deaths is laughable. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

It wont sadly, the RO would have to under 1. Probably impossible with schools open and compliance seems pretty low.The impact of retrictions working in Laois, Offaly and Kildare I think is overestimated also. At that time community transmission was much lower than now

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

Positivity is not allowed I'm afraid - being negative is the only way to stop Covid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Only 16 confirmed Covid cases in ICUs but also only 38 free ICU beds for the entire country :rolleyes: One serious road accident (e.g. a bus crash) could use up most of that. Obviously, so could a mere 2-3 Covid admissions per day for a couple of weeks.

283 ICU beds now in system .
    As of last night there were approx 14 beds vacant in ICUs in Dublin, over and above those reserved for patients having major surgery or procedures today.

obviously if there is a push on these beds these elective but necessary surgeries will be the first to be hit , followed by more routine elective procedures and treatment when general beds start to come under pressure.

Unlike other years where A&E has been used by the HSE as a ' safety valve' , this will not be there either this year , no bad thing , but it will put major pressure on services , as now they truly have to stay within strict capacity limits and distancing measures.

So yes, no more sitting on chairs in A&E , but also limited access to health services, coming into the busiest season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement