Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,255 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I know 34 seems low for Cork compared to the Dublin number but it has risen from 3, 4 or 5 to that, we all need to be careful, quite a few school cases for Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Numbers down on last Tuesday, no Deaths....... 2.4% positivity rate........

That's decent......

This is quite good news as testing numbers are high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

Rates in Cork beginning to look quite scary now. 34 cases today...

If you adjusted that to compare to Dublin...it would be like having 200+ cases a day in Dublin or more. WOW

Cork county has ~550k population, so I guess you were looking at the city population.

So would be around ~88 when compared with the Dublin population.

It's not really surprising that the largest county and the second most populated county has cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Newbie20 wrote: »
    Dublin has a population of about 2 and a half times the population of Cork. So Corks 34 cases would be the equivalent of about 85 cases in Dublin. But there are a lot more than 85 cases in Dublin today! (174)

Population of Dublin is a lot more than 2.5 times Cork . Closer to 9 times !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Population if Dublin is a lot more than 2.5 times Cork . Closer to 9 times !

County vs county?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Would have thought there would have been some bleed over of cases into kerry with skibbereen.

According to Wiki in the 2016 census Dublin county- 1,345,402
    Cork county - 542,868

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

34 in Cork = ~86 in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Numbers go up, numbers go down, numbers go up, numbers go down, numbers go up...and so on.

Every cycle is destroying the country more than the last.

There is no endpoint or conclusion or even goal. The whole thing is sheer madness.

According to Wiki in the 2016 census Dublin county- 1,345,402
    Cork county - 542,868

I always thought Cork was a bigger county than Dublin :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

shinzon wrote: »

Was/are the 'sh!ts' a symptom of Covid?

Gradius wrote: »
    Numbers go up, numbers go down, numbers go up, numbers go down, numbers go up...and so on.

There is no endpoint or conclusion or even goal. The whole thing is sheer madness.

No point calling it madness it's just the reality we find ourselves in.

There are no easy solutions so we just have to get on with it.

Gradius wrote: »

I think the goal is to keep the numbers down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Time to put a barrier on Patricks Bridge, close the Jack Lynch Tunnel and cancel the ferry.

Is trolley watching the same as airplane watching? Interesting hobby

Not at all and much more serious .
    It is the official INMO measurement of those waiting for beds, be they on a chair or trolley in A&E or on a ward .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Time to put a barrier on Patricks Bridge, close the Jack Lynch Tunnel and cancel the ferry.

Serious amount of Dublin people in Cork last weekend, hard to blame them, it's such a beautiful county!!!

This is not good enough. They’ve had months to make provisions for the upcoming winter, between test + trace and ICU capacity. I’m of the understanding our ICU capacity is barely enough in normal times never mind in a pandemic. Open to correction on that.

This link is 7 months old, but indicates the variance in European countries of critical care capacity:

Critical-beds-in-europe.png

The irony is that a lot of the former eastern European countries have the higher capacities.

spookwoman wrote: »
    Would have thought there would have been some bleed over of cases into kerry with skibbereen.

Even with the amount of tourists, Kerry is keeping low numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why is nobody dieing of this if it is such a deadly virus. Numbers have been high for 6 to 8 weeks now. Where is the lag.

The likes of Holland opened stuff us long before us,they are at record numbers of cases per day but so far the death rate is very low conpared to the first wave.

Hopefully it will stay that way.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/netherlands/

This is not good enough. They’ve had months to make provisions for the upcoming winter, between test + trace and ICU capacity. I’m of the understanding our ICU capacity is barely enough in normal times never mind in a pandemic. Open to correction on that.

ICU capacity is fine normal times .
    It's the number of available beds that is generally the problem pre Covid .

• Advertisement

County vs county?

No, city vs city

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The benefits to a childs mental health and well being far out weigh the minimal risks of catching Covid and dying. For some children school is the only 'safe' place they have. You however are unwilling to accept risk and that's your prerogative, however I sincerely hope the government does not bow to the abject terror projected by people such as yourself.
    Are you a qualified psychiatrist? If not where are you getting your information as to Children's mental health?

As for your accusation if me projecting terror, I think you are way ott with that comment. There's no fear here in my home, just common sense and happy children.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I always thought Cork was a bigger county than Dublin :o

It’s the biggest county by size not by population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

No point calling it madness it's just the reality we find ourselves in.

There are no easy solutions so we just have to get on with it.

The lack of a goal is the madness.

The current big-brain strategy of kicking the can down the road is madness.

It's a similar strategy to the malaria parasite. Surge and destroy for 24 hours, then hide and gain strength for the next 24 hours.

So, you feel wrecked for a day, then a glimmer of hope the next day as you recuperate. But it will be back. And it will keep coming back every time, weakening you until it eventually kills you. Very effective, slow and SURE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

robbiezero wrote: »
    Lower than last week.
    Should we have our weekly Tuesday evening meltdown on the thread or not?

Yes we should, a shame not too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Would you give over. The counts are by county and Dublin's population is just under 2.5 times that of Cork. 1.3 million versus 543000.

No, city vs city

The figures are done by county so no point comparing the cities alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

This link is 7 months old, but indicates the variance in European countries of critical care capacity:

https://www.covid-19.no/critical-care-bed-numbers-in-europe

The irony is that a lot of the former eastern European countries have the higher capacities.

Have we lost them to Asia?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

There must be something in the no deaths. I know the young and healthy are getting it and are asymptomatic but it's the case across the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Have they announced when Cork is moving to Level 3 yet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement