Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Visitors being restricted from Monday at Dublin nursing homes

Not sure if you watched that piece from the spectator, to shield the nursing homes we should be moving the staff in for the next 8 weeks, i.e they go live there.
    The current health of who's left in the nursing homes needs to be looked at as well, if there's low hanging fruit they'll fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

227 positive swabs on 13,073 tests - 1.74% positivity rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭spookwoman

pc7 wrote: »
    Any figure for swabs yet?

24hr results on hub
    227 positives out of 13,073 tests.
    % still at 3.6%
    % positive for week gone up by .2% to 1.7%

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

spookwoman wrote: »
    Crap
    53 hospitalised now, was at 48 (Hub) Yesterday and 51 on the HSE report at 22pm + last night

Fluctuating daily, prefer to wait until HSE report to see state of play at the end of the day.

Was over 50 yesterday morning at one point at ended up at 51 last night.
    We had 47 this time last week so growth isn't as rapid as it was the week before thankfully despite a few weeks of high numbers of cases

• Advertisement

The list of people questioning the notion that thousands more are at risk of dieing in ireland over the next 12 months of covid is growing:

Dr. Alan Farrell
    Professor Carl Hennigan
    Leo Varadkar- tweeted little serious disease in Europe despite months into second wave
    Ivor Cummins
    Ferriter- Irish Times journalist

If increases in cases is not causing serious illness what do you suggest to do? Pretend they are causing serious illness as they were in March. Nobody disputes what happened in march april may was a serious situation. This is not the same now and the penny is beginning to drop with some. If we tested for other coronaviruses we would find lots too.

There's a lot of politicans questioning it as well, you may add the chair of the covid response committee to that list, if anyone has listened to all the experts it's him.

Benimar wrote: »
    227 positive swabs on 13,073 tests - 1.74% positivity rate.

Swabs v cases pretty close so. Very little backlog then to catch up on tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

College seems a very tough one to manage. Students who will be invariably socializing together and in classes etc.Their is very little chance they will have the discipline to social distance etc especially students in their first year and who are still teenagers. Then going home at weekends to different parts of the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Wonder what has happened in Dublin now. All along so far Dublin didn't really register as a major hotspot. Higher numbers than elsewhere proportionate to population alright, but now?

Baffled as to what is causing this spike in positive cases. Anyway hope those testing positive don't need a hospital admission.

Must be worrying for the hospitals though. Is there any good news out there please!

Dublin was a hotspot in the first wave of this. People who are holding out hope that the worst has passed us and a sizeable portion of the population have already been exposed are clutching at straws. Dublin is a hotspot again with cases climbing there. It goes to show that we haven't been highly exposed to the degree that some people are sprouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Fluctuating daily, prefer to wait until HSE report to see state of play at the end of the day.

Was over 50 yesterday morning at one point at ended up at 51 last night.
    We had 47 this time last week so growth isn't as rapid as it was the week before.

HSE report is slowly increasing each day. Lets hope the increase stays low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The game is up, a lockdown is imminent, get the toilet paper in early.

owlbethere wrote: »
    Dublin was a hotspot in the first wave of this. People who are holding out hope that the worst has passed us and a sizeable portion of the population have already been exposed are clutching at straws. Dublin is a hotspot again with cases climbing there. It goes to show that we haven't been highly exposed to the degree that some people are sprouting.

Maybe we were but lost immunity due to restrictions and lockdown. This spread like wildfire and probably started in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭dashoonage

how long are we looking for test results these days ? 48hrs?

HSE report is slowly increasing each day. Lets hope the increase stays low.

There isn't much change this week though. Very stable compared to the 2 weeks previously.
    Like i said 47 at 8pm last Friday night. See tonight what way it compares.

We also had 2 days of a decrease of 1 or 2 , a small amount but better than an increase day on day.

And yet icu admissions are still tiny despite months of thousands of cases.

Less than 1% of current icu patients have covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

wowzer wrote: »
    227 positives from 13,073 tests

Thanks a lot. Don't suppose you know county breakdown by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

What is the situation with collages? Are collages due to return?

Jaysus I hope not, I've always thought it was a ****ty art form, even kids going to creche bring them home. There's no skill involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Maybe we were but lost immunity due to restrictions and lockdown. This spread like wildfire and probably started in December.

Would stop listening to so much theories. I'd imagine the majority of new cases have not been previously infected as their have been no cases of re-infection

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Oranage2 wrote: »
    The game is up, a lockdown is imminent, get the toilet paper in early.

I am traveling for vacation in Oct :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Hurrache wrote: »
    Jaysus I hope not, I've always thought it was a ****ty art form, even kids going to creche bring them home. There's no skill involved.

It’s subjective, I used to love a good collage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The 53 is at 8am. That will change by today. Majority of discharges occur after 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The 53 is at 8am. That will change by today. Majority of discharges occur after 2pm.

We heard it first people, epidemic is over, everyone will be fine by 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Crap
    53 hospitalised now, was at 48 (Hub) Yesterday and 51 on the HSE report at 22pm + last night

22pm on a lousy Smarch day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Should the government come out and specifically ask the churches not to schedule christenings, communions and confirmations for the next three months in Dublin and Limerick? If you let the ceremonies go ahead, there's a higher chance someone will flout the rules and will have family over to their house.

Perversely, you might have elderly parents or relatives who would feel more comfortable in a house setting with their children and grandchildren than meeting those some children and grandchildren in a restaurant, with lots of other people there. I think that's why there's a lot more "at home" celebrations.

And perhaps they could specifically ask not to have birthday parties in the home?

Don't make it punishable by death or anything, but if MM came out on a podium, before the evening news, and said we are asking this - we know it's a big ask, we're not to bring in regulations, we're going to ask a mature population to do it.

There will of course be people who flout the rules no matter what the government says. But there's be sizeable number who would feel shamed into cancelling celebrations when the government are being that specific. Surely that would help?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭penelope2012

Thanks
    210 Today
    121 Dublin

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Dublin was a hotspot in the first wave of this. People who are holding out hope that the worst has passed us
    It's not unreasonable to assume the worst has passed us at all.
    and a sizeable portion of the population have already been exposed are clutching at straws.
    That, I'd agree with. Immunity, as measured in a recent survey, is far higher than the number of recorded cases and still a small fraction of the population - nothing sufficient for complete complacency.

JDD wrote: »
    Should the government come out and specifically ask the churches not to schedule christenings, communions and confirmations for the next three months in Dublin and Limerick? If you let the ceremonies go ahead, there's a higher chance someone will flout the rules and will have family over to their house.

Perversely, you might have elderly parents or relatives who would feel more comfortable in a house setting with their children and grandchildren than meeting those some children and grandchildren in a restaurant, with lots of other people there. I think that's why there's a lot more "at home" celebrations.

And perhaps they could specifically ask not to have birthday parties in the home?

Don't make it punishable by death or anything, but if MM came out on a podium, before the evening news, and said we are asking this - we know it's a big ask, we're not to bring in regulations, we're going to ask a mature population to do it.

There will of course be people who flout the rules no matter what the government says. But there's be sizeable number who would feel shamed into cancelling celebrations when the government are being that specific. Surely that would help?

They'll have some cheek, will probably be 10,000 plus people protesting in Dublin tomorrow I think. Both the left and right are protesting one for more restrictions and the other for less, should make for some good afternoon commentary...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

ixoy wrote: »
    It's not unreasonable to assume the worst has passed us at all

Yes, unless we are treating a hypothetical second wave as more real than events which have actually taken place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭blowitupref

wowzer wrote: »
    227 positives from 13,073 tests
    Well that gives a better explanation for 210 cases to be confirmed later on

70791 tests carried out in the last 7 days. That must be the highest testing weekly figure so far?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

Arghus wrote: »
    I'm stunned by the poor quality of that article, usually what Ferriter has to say is balanced and knowledgable.

That piece is an absolute mess.

"Why didn't we have 20,000 deaths" - that was based on a prediction of uncontrolled transmission with no containment measures. He's an intelligent man, how can he not put two and two together?

"Why the changing guidelines on masks? " - has he been asleep for the last six months?

"Sweden has had no restrictions" - Yes, they have.

He even talks up the insight of "Nobel Laureate" Michael Levitt - I really couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that.

There's more than that too.

He raises the odd good point about some of the contradictions of NPHET's advice and his central argument that authority should always be subject to scrutiny is totally valid, but his scattergun approach to just throwing out badly misinformed questions or completely out of date debate points is not the way to make a convincing argument.

I like Ferriter a lot as a historian and I always find him to be an engaging and perceptive speaker when I hear him talk, but, what a car crash of an opinion piece - I actually think a good lot of us on here are more clued in and informed about what he is writing about than he is. For real.

I find it worrying in its implications for the standard of future public debate that one of Ireland's most prominent public intellectuals is putting his name to such a shapeless mish mash of hot takes.

I don't think Ferriter should be commenting on the pandemic in such a prominent way. A historian is not an epidemiologist in the same way a carpenter isn't a plumber.

a student of history myself and Diarmuid Ferriter is an excellent historian. But, as is typical of RTE, he has a monopoly on modern Irish history contributions to programmes. There are many equally as good historians who don't get a look in. That's true of cookery programmes, house renovations etc with RTE. Though at least in these scenarios they are working in their field of expertise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement