Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underpinning?

Options
  • 11-09-2020 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Viewed a very old house last week. Very poor condition but awesome location and massive potential. Real estate agent said that someone else had a survey done and found that there was underpinning required along with rising damp. Underpinning sounds like serious structural work but I have genuinely no clue as to what this involves. Can anyone shed any light? Hazard a guess at range of associated cost to put right? Trying to decide if its even worth me getting a survey done or should I just walk away.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

DM1983 wrote: »
    Viewed a very old house last week. Very poor condition but awesome location and massive potential. Real estate agent said that someone else had a survey done and found that there was underpinning required along with rising damp. Underpinning sounds like serious structural work but I have genuinely no clue as to what this involves. Can anyone shed any light? Hazard a guess at range of associated cost to put right? Trying to decide if its even worth me getting a survey done or should I just walk away.

Serious structural design and sign off.
    It costs twice as much to build down as it does up.

In saying that, without any details nobody can throw a rough cost on it.

The length of underpinning could be 1m or 27m.
    Are there other properties involved?
    What’s the ground conditions.

Could be 10k or 63k.

You really need to have an engineer take a look and work out a rough linear length required but god knows how deep you have to go until ground is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

Thanks for reply. Its an old odd house design where the front half of the whole house is elevated about a meter off the ground. I presume that there is is a failing foundation under this section but that there is solid ground below. This 1 meter offset continues on first and second floors. I can see that there is some subsidence when standing in the front room on the ground floor. It visibly slopes a few inches.

Does this sound like a complete **** show???

Advertisement