Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airplane Noise Dublin 5

Options
  • 11-09-2020 7:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

I'm a newcomer to Dublin 5 and I've noticed when I'm up early around 6am I often hear planes (landing I'd assume). Anyone else notice this? I don't see much written about it online, just the usual stuff for areas directly beside/under the flight path.

I am wondering if it has to do with the wind direction carrying sound from howth direction across. It only seems to be morning although that could be because traffic and general noise blocks it out later in the day.

I've lived in Dublin for most my life and not noticed this as much, even when I was living in North county Dublin for a period (though I guess geographically I was further from that bit of the flight path north of Baldoyle).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I grew up in D5 in the 80s and 90s and w've always had aeroplane noise

you'll just get used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're only getting a fraction of the normal number of flights currently, so they'll seem more obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 30,093 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It depends on whether you are picking up noise from flights on the main runway or backup crosswinds runway.
    The main runway comes in over Howth, Clongriffin.

I'm in D3 and only really hear it when they use the backup runway - if main runway maintenance or if there are crosswinds.
    The backup runway sends the flights over Artane, Clontarf, Dun Laoghaire I think.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I'm in D3 and only really hear it when they use the backup runway - if main runway maintenance or if there are crosswinds.
    The backup runway sends the flights over Artane, Clontarf, Dun Laoghaire I think.
    I'm in D5 (Killlester, so close by) and also beneath that runway. It's generally fairly quiet.
    Whereas when I was in Portmarnock, the windows would sometimes rattle under the noise of the planes!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

You can hear the engines etc starting up in the mornings in D5, it's always there in the background most of the day with landings coming in over Howth. When the cross wind runway is used they take off over D5 and that's when it's at its loudest, but even then it's not so loud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The crosswind runway is currently out of action, it'll be back.

There are two directions the main runway can be used depending on wind; which affects whether you get takeoff or landing noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

L1011 wrote: »
    The crosswind runway is currently out of action, it'll be back.

There are two directions the main runway can be used depending on wind; which affects whether you get takeoff or landing noise.

NOTAM saying Rwy 16/34 closed till 8th October

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

OP, thats the cross winds runway 16/34, I grew up in Artane from 1970 to 1993 , you just get used to it, as another poster mentioned, they is feck all flights now at Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm close to a rail station so thankfully the noise of the trains drowns out the planes.
    :(

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Advertisement