Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 13 (Châtel-Guyon - Puy Mary, 191.5 km)

Options
  • 11-09-2020 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭

A finish atop a super-steep ramp with little space at the summit in the middle of nowhere... yet this is not the Vuelta. The stage supposedly has the highest elevation gain of any stage in the race.

Map

fd8d6

ba868

Timetable

Start: 11:50

Col de Ceyssat: 13:02/13:05/13:07

Col de Guéry: 13:43/13:49/13:53

Montée de La Stèle: 14:16/14:24/14:31

Intermediate sprint: 14:49/14:58/15:07

Côte de l'Estiade: 15:19/15:29/15:40

Côte d'Anglards-de-Salers: 15:53/16:06/16:18

Col de Neronne: 16:28/16:43/16:57

Finish at Pas de Peyrol: 16:47/17:02/17:17

Climbs

The opening ramp through Châteaugay is roughly 3k at 6%, I couldn't find a profile, but it should help the stronger climbers if the breakaway forms early. 25 kilometers in, the riders tackle a proper climb, the cat. 1 Col de Ceyssat.

1045.gif

The race heads through the Monts Dore up the cat. 3 Col de Guéry and then reaches the harder climb of Montée de la Stèle.

SteleNW.gif

A long, gradual descent follows this climb, the intermediate sprint is at a flatter section near its end. The terrain remains undulating, but the Côte de l'Estiade and the Côte d'Anglards-de-Salers aren't too hard. With 15k to go, the business end of the stage finally starts, first with the Col de Néronne from its previously unused steepest side...

NeronneN.gif

...then the Pas de Peyrol, also from its steepest side, although this one has been used quite often. It's the final 11.3k of the profile below, a flat and a short descent from the summit of Néronne, then 3.5 easy and 2 brutally steep kilometers to the finish.

PeyrolW.gif

General classification after Stage 12

Primoz Roglic
    Egan Bernal + 0.21
    Guillaume Martin + 0.28
    Romain Bardet + 0.30
    Nairo Quintana + 0.32
    Rigoberto Uran s.t.
    Tadej Pogacar + 0.44
    Adam Yates + 1.02
    Miguel Ángel López + 1.15
    Mikel Landa + 1.42

Points classification after Stage 12

Sam Bennett 252
    Peter Sagan 186
    Bryan Coquard 155
    Caleb Ewan 155
    Matteo Trentin 146

Mountains classification after Stage 12

Benoît Cosnefroy 36
    Marc Hirschi 31
    Nans Peters 31
    Toms Skujins 24
    Quentin Pacher 21

Young riders classification after Stage 12

Egan Bernal
    Tadej Pogacar + 0.23
    Enric Mas + 1.41
    Sergio Higuita + 12.54
    Daniel Felipe Martinez + 1.03.20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Maybe an Alaphilippe type day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Sorry I started a thread as didnt see this one...can someone delete mine

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭no_4

Don’t think he has the legs tbh

I’d go for Pogacar he’s been under used and protected for several days now

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Maybe an Alaphilippe type day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

if pace is slow over first few climbs then Sagan could cling on for the intermediate sprint

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

This stage should suit anyone that would normally go well in Liege-Bastogne-Liege - maybe Bob Jungels? Reckon it could also be a big GC day : 4500m of ascent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Dan to go in the break and unleash all the energy he's been building up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

They'll be passing the Puy De Dome today - its a pity its been lost to cycling, particularly after yesterday's tribute to Poulidor

525987.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Why lost to cycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

This is Bardet's home. Perhaps he'll make a bid today

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Looking at the history of Liege - Bastogne - Liege winners in recent times this lad's life makes for some reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Vandenbroucke_(cyclist)

• Advertisement

Why lost to cycling?

Its a narrow cul-de sac and some years back, they built a funicular railway to the summit on part of the road space, leaving only a narrow path, completely unsuited to racing

For a while you could ride on it 1-2 mornings a week, provided you were off the climb by around 9 am. Now the only way to ride it is to get a place in the annual sportif

525989.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Doubt the Puy de Dome could have handled the modern tour and stupid amount of support vehicles, security, people etc even if they hadnt built the train thingy on it. Theres meant to be a load of climbs that the GTs cant access in their various countries because of the size of the races and support infrastructure following them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

They'll be passing the Puy De Dome today - its a pity its been lost to cycling, particularly after yesterday's tribute to Poulidor

Great pic!

Today should be a killer! Maybe another breakaway winner today.

I think i would have been a "Pou-Pou" guy!
    https://pelotonmagazine.com/features/anquetil-vs-poulidor-the-ultimate-showdown-at-the-tour-of-64/

m38pcy86-1405390848.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&q=45&auto=format&w=754&h=911&fit=crop&dpr=1

Anquetil was almost unbeatable, a hard as nails competitor and clinical executioner of race tactics. His close rivalry with fellow Frenchman Raymond Poulidor divided France. Anquetil was cold, calculating and successful. Poulidor was tough, rural and Gallic to the core.

Despite battles that saw the riders collapse over the finishing line, Poulidor could not break Anquetil’s will, finishing a persistent 2nd to the master ‘Monsieur Chrono’ (a nickname given in respect of his time-trialing ability). Due to their intense rivalry, the two found it difficult to communicate until long after their race careers ended. In 1987 At the age of 53, Anquateil died of stomach cancer, but not before making wry amends with Poulidor. Visiting him at home shortly before he died, Anquetil leaned over to Puolidor and said, ‘My friend…….you will come second to me once again.’

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Dan to go in the break and unleash all the energy he's been building up...

This is the stage that is most ideally suited to him.
    Fingers crossed he is in a good enough condition to try and get in the break.

Sam leading a group chasing back on already. 22 seconds down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Sam leading a group chasing back on already. 22 seconds down.
    Hopefully the intermediate sprint is too far in for Sagan

Hopefully the intermediate sprint is too far in for Sagan

110km in with a 1, 3 and 2 cat before it but Trentin and Sagan in a group trying to go across.

Sagan in a chase group

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Sam back on by the looks of it. What is the purpose of an intermediate sprint during a hilly/mountain stage?

Well Dan is there and 2 DQS guys so hopefully they can hover up the points should it come to it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

mewso wrote: »
    Sam back on by the looks of it. What is the purpose of an intermediate sprint during a hilly/mountain stage?

To create more excitement at the start? It was working until jumbore visma blocked the road and stopped all the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Dan looking comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Wow, the Cat. 1 climb literally starts in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

happytramp wrote: »
    To create more excitement at the start? It was working until jumbore visma blocked the road and stopped all the craic.

Looks like I spoke too soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Jack Bauer reminding me of another box set I could have watched during lockdown. I'll make a note for the next one.

Wow, the Cat. 1 climb literally starts in the city

A lot of biggish climbs to the immediate West of Clermont. Good surfaces and decent roads, but can be busy

mewso wrote: »
    Jack Bauer reminding me of another box set I could have watched during lockdown. I'll make a note for the next one.

I always wonder if he's had the number 24 in a race?

De Bhál wrote: »
    Dan looking comfortable

Dan Martin has never looked comfortable in his life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Dan Martin has never looked comfortable in his life

very true...looks it today though.

Early yet, plenty of time for him to get suffering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

There will end up being about 20 in this breakaway, winner should come from there.
    Ineos firing sivakov up the road is interesting...maybe a point for Bernal to attack to later on.

Advertisement