Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 13 (Châtel-Guyon - Puy Mary, 191.5 km)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

No plodders in that breakaway
    Julian Alaphilippe, Remi Cavagna (both Deceuninck-Quick-Step), Simon Geschke (CCC), Dan Martin (Israel Start-up Nation), Marc Soler (Movistar), Pierre Rolland (B&B Hotels-Vital Concept), Warren Barguil (Arkea Samsic), Romain Sicard (Total Direct Energie), Hugh Carthy, Daniel Martinez, Neilson Powless (all EF Pro Cycling), Lennard Kamna, Max Schachmann (both Bora-Hansgrohe), David de la Cruz (UAE Team Emirates), Nicolas Edet (Cofidis), Valentin Madouas (Groupam-FDJ) and Pavel Sivakov (Ineos Grenadiers).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

neris wrote: »
    Doubt the Puy de Dome could have handled the modern tour and stupid amount of support vehicles, security, people etc even if they hadnt built the train thingy on it. Theres meant to be a load of climbs that the GTs cant access in their various countries because of the size of the races and support infrastructure following them
    It's also for environmental concerns, and the damage done by visitors (not just cycling) according to The Cycling Podcast. Really great insights on things like this, as well as the cycling - François Thomazeau is involved in writing the tourist/ sites of interest stuff that is on the official website, and the pack that is sent to commentators.

Puy Mary is actually higher than the Puy de Dome, and the suggestion was that they're hoping to establish it as a finish. Also said ASO keep trying to go back up Puy de Dome. They have done other climbs that spectators weren't allowed, main issue would be support vehicles I imagine. Tour of Lombardy has one climb where they use motorbike support only. Get the riders to use the train back down?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

GetWithIt wrote: »
    No plodders in that breakaway

Quality climbers almost all. Hopefully our man has been sandbagging from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

Ewan in big trouble, already 10min back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It's also for environmental concerns, and the damage done by visitors (not just cycling) according to The Cycling Podcast. Really great insights on things like this, as well as the cycling - François Thomazeau is involved in writing the tourist/ sites of interest stuff that is on the official website, and the pack that is sent to commentators.

Puy Mary is actually higher than the Puy de Dome, and the suggestion was that they're hoping to establish it as a finish. Also said ASO keep trying to go back up Puy de Dome. They have done other climbs that spectators weren't allowed, main issue would be support vehicles I imagine. Tour of Lombardy has one climb where they use motorbike support only. Get the riders to use the train back down?

I'm a big fan of François Thomazeau on The Cycling Podcast, I love listening to him :)

I'm guessing that the climb in the Tour of Lombardy that they only use motorbike support is the Muro di Sormano

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

happytramp wrote: »

Is Sam in the peloton or in a group that is between the peloton and Ewan's small group?

happytramp wrote: »

That's 10 minutes from Hugh Carthy though not the peloton.

Is Sam in the peloton or in a group that is between the peloton and Ewan's small group?

Looking at the timings live looks like he's in the cars.

There was a stage finish up a climb on the giro 5 or 6 years ago where the road was so narrow they had to use mopeds for support and stop all the race traffic way before the climb. Name of the climb totally escapes me now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

That's 10 minutes from Hugh Carthy though not the peloton.

The time cut is taken from the winners finishing time right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Junior

Sam is back on as far as I can tell, Ewan is ~ 5 Minutes back from the remains of the Peloton (with Jumbo and Roglic) - he has a big ole day a head of him.

SHowing him in the peloton here https://racecenter.letour.fr/en/riders/13

EDIT: God he looks shagged coming over the top there.

Carlton doesn't sound like he's holding out much hope for Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Can’t believe it was 2011 when yer man was thrown into the barbed wire

Only feels like 2 or 3 years ago

As a coincidence my dad was at my house in 2011 when that happened and he's here again now today watching with me.

Bardet and Quintana down.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Bauke Mollema abandons

Boscoirl wrote: »

As a coincidence my dad was at my house in 2011 when that happened and he's here again now today watching with me.

dd0.png
    Bardet and Quintana down.
    Bauke Mollema abandons

I did notice Mollema off the back when I was checking the timings on Sam earlier. They are saying a crash on Eurosport for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hoogerland-to-sue-over-tour-de-france-2011-crash/

Don't look, if you're squeamish.

That is a quality chateau

Sam is dropping off the back of the peloton. Is there any grupetto? There doesn't seem to be based on the TdF app.

Flecha talked about that incident a few years ago when he was on the eurosport commentary team and it still hadnt been sorted out back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭no_4

He’s in the cars, looks like he’s struggling but he has two team mates with him

Peloton is 9 mins behind break now, 55 km left to go
    Sam is dropping off the back of the peloton. Is there any grupetto? There doesn't seem to be based on the TdF app.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

If Sam's off the back there's another 10 sprinters gone before him plus their helpers.

Edit: He's back anyways.

That is a quality chateau

Amazing how well looked after & preserved alot of them are when you consider that what's left of alot of the Anglo Irish big houses here are in ruins or families struggle to keep them habitable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭no_4

Sam back in peloton/grupetto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The break would want to get the finger out sharpish

Advertisement