Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will we survive the 'Triple Whammy"?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

biko wrote: »
    Can humanity survive more wokism?

When/if they eventually tire of monotonously saying 'woke' over and over again, what Americanism will people on Boards then latch onto?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I have noticed lately that people actually seem to be accepting that climate change is real, even on boards. Just watching the fires in Oregon on TV now, due to extreme temperatures. I wonder what things will be like in 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

screamer wrote: »
    It’ll still be the UK as destination of choice and with them out of the EU, France will just let them flood over the channel. How the UK ever thought leaving EU would help them to stop this illegal migration is beyond me.

Lies from Mr. Farage.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I have noticed lately that people actually seem to be accepting that climate change is real, even on boards. Just watching the fires in Oregon on TV now, due to extreme temperatures. I wonder what things will be like in 20 years.

I think most people have always accepted its real, most just dont accept the countries under water in 10 years or that europe should continue to improve while the chinese, india, africa and south america continue to do absolutely nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's all the cows.

But all these useless hippy vegans won't do their part to help us keep their numbers under control by eating a few.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

What we will do when there's nobody left to cancel?

Woke cannibalism. They'll cancel themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Why would it?

Nobody is going to travel from France to Ireland in a dinghy.

Climate change is an infinitely greater threat to us.

Most just fly in. So in a way they will be adding to climate change. :)

🙈🙉🙊

I find it quite funny that a lot of posters here are saying immigration is the problem, not climate change

Wait til they get a load of the immigration that'll happen in the next 10 years precisely because of climate change. Australians will start moving soon. A lot of them would have Irish roots, a lot of Americans as well, look at what's happening on Oregon and California, not to mention the storms that are getting worse each year.

We speak their language, have good arable land and the cultures aren't that different. I imagine a good few thousand would be entitled to passports from Irish born grandparents as well.

Now, they'll be white, so I imagine a fair few posters won't have problems with them coming over.

Why not? Aussies have a comparable culture, they share most of our values, their laws aren't so dissimilar, already speak the language, and have an excellent level of education.

White people (whether European, Aussies, Americans) tend to integrate far better when settling in another western nation, than migrants from Africa, M.East, etc. Rather large percentages of those coming from non-white nations, are lacking in the education and skills needed to be employed at a level where they can fully support themselves.

So, yes... I would favor immigration from Oz, or other western nations, over immigration from Africa. The only way for Ireland to provide a comparable lifestyle (to Irish people) for non-western migrants, is to give welfare/financial support, which increases the burden on the taxpayer. Westerners/White people are more likely to be have the education/skills to support themselves.

You want to make it about race... I prefer to deal with practicalities. It's not racism. Skilled/educated non-whites who are fully capable of obtaining work, and supporting themselves independently are very welcome.

Double whammy. We don't need to worry about global warming, it's decades off. Whether we'll survive the money grab in the name of it is another story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭amacca

Why not? Aussies have a comparable culture, they share most of our values, their laws aren't so dissimilar, already speak the language, and have an excellent level of education.

White people (whether European, Aussies, Americans) tend to integrate far better when settling in another western nation, than migrants from Africa, M.East, etc. Rather large percentages of those coming from non-white nations, are lacking in the education and skills needed to be employed at a level where they can fully support themselves.

So, yes... I would favor immigration from Oz, or other western nations, over immigration from Africa. The only way for Ireland to provide a comparable lifestyle (to Irish people) for non-western migrants, is to give welfare/financial support, which increases the burden on the taxpayer. Westerners/White people are more likely to be have the education/skills to support themselves.

You want to make it about race... I prefer to deal with practicalities. It's not racism. Skilled/educated non-whites who are fully capable of obtaining work, and supporting themselves independently are very welcome.

from my point of view the more people packed into this island the more the environment will suffer.........regardless of the colour of their skin or socio economic status......I would favour no migration and some sort of population control before a natural disaster/plague or worse sorts it out for us and hundreds if not thousands of years have to elapse before our environment is capable of supporting a stable human population in a sustainable way........or a change of lifestyle......or a change of economic model......this x% growth a year is quite clearly unsustainable unless you have unlimited resources.....we will need to crack a viable means of interstellar travel if that is to continue long term

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Overheal wrote: »
    Migration and Climate Change are inexorable. As climate change makes huge swaths of the middle east, africa, south america, etc etc inhospitable, billions of people will be displaced and move away from equatorial regions. Droughts and natural disasters lead to scarcity and instability, civil strife, etc. and eventually full on civil wars and so forth. It's already been happening.

Only if you fail to see how the former is fueled primarily by the latter.
    Israel has the same issues with drought etc. They have a booming agricultural sector. hmmm. i wonder what the difference is?

amacca wrote: »
    from my point of view the more people packed into this island the more the environment will suffer.........regardless of the colour of their skin or socio economic status......I would favour no migration and some sort of population control before a natural disaster/plague or worse sorts it out for us and hundreds if not thousands of years have to elapse before our environment is capable of supporting a stable human population in a sustainable way........or a change of lifestyle......or a change of economic model......this x% growth a year is quite clearly unsustainable unless you have unlimited resources.....we will need to crack a viable means of interstellar travel if that is to continue long term

We had 8.5million people in this country before.

We are incredibly underpopulated.

Food shortages next probably? Terrible summer for arable crops.
    Bees being wiped out too which has a knock-on effect.

To be honest, the bee's are the biggest worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

We need more doctors and engineers.

I think you mean bottom scrubbers in old folks homes on 11 an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

The hugest mega cities of the early Bronze Age like Mohenjo daro collapsed due in great part to climate change. Civilisations have advanced and regressed since the dawn of time - look at pottery - often much finer in earlier antiquity than in periods that followed and often because of climate changes making living harder. Swathes of people have migrated since time immemorial. The barbarian hordes from the North - Visigoths and Vandals - swept off the sophisticated Roman Empire in the 400s. And those Germanic tribes were driven to invade elsewhere by them being chased off by invading Huns from Central Asia. 50 million died in the 1918 flu pandemic. The black death in the 14th century took up to 100- 200 million people - and at a time when the world population was about 450 - 500 million. The Plague of Justinian took half the people of Europe in the 6th century. World War 2 saw 3% of the people in the world at the time die - 85 million. Brexit is not worth anymore thought than a boil on the arse of an invisible flea in historical terms. Dinosaurs commanded the earth for 165 million years and went extinct 65 million years ago. Human like creatures have been here only about 7 million years, and homo sapiens less than 200,000 ( well unless you listen to people like Michael Cremo, who is sweet, but I am not convinced). In the worst mass extinction event on this planet 96% of all marine life and 70% of all land animals died off - the Permian Triassic Extinction event of 250 million years ago. Volcanoes likely to blame. And yet here we are, all 7.8 billion of us, looking like swanks. It is an awful waste of all that aeons of survival to spare a single moment to listen to a single word about the manufactured shyte that is Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭amacca

Making a statement like that depends on what you think is a sustainable amount of people per square kilometre (or whatever unit of area measurement you are having yourself) I suppose

At the rate a citizen of a developed country consumes (mea culpa admittedly) now.......I would be of the opinion 8.5 million is unsustainable long term.......I live in this country too, ive seen the places where people lived back then abandoned.....small two room cottages where a family with up to 13 kids lived eating what they could scrape off the land or similar overcrowding in tenements etc.....yes it's true thst level of poverty existed because we were a colony and food/resources etc were shipped off the island but it still doesnt change the fact those people didnt have cars, didnt use air travel, didnt have mass produced throwaway clothes, % of their food flow from halfway around the globe etc and only conttibuted biodegradeable matter to the waste stream....id argue thid planet is overpopulated now given the damage we are doing and its either cut the numbers drastically or change the way of life drastically or thitd option suffer the consewuences at some point in the future where war/famine/natural disaster etc achieves one or both of those things anyway

Without major adjustments to the way we live.....changes to agriculture, education, governance, planning, transport. etc etc the population this planet is at now isnt sustainable.....just because we had it in the past or the netherlands has more now in a smallet area doesnt make it sustainable.

I dont see it happening without major social upheaval .....I think its the way its going to go everywhere.........

For a purely agrarian society.

Times have changed, as have what's needed to provide the nation we have today.

To provide for a population you describe we would need to revert to an agrarian society, with few demands on a modern infrastructure (health services, transportation, power, etc). The quality of life we have today would need to disappear. Lacking any desirable natural resources except for food production, we wouldn't have the capabilities to pay for the importation of luxuries, and the needed resources to maintain a functioning modern lifestyle.

We are not incredibly underpopulated, not if you want to live in a functioning modern society. If you want to live in a 3rd world nation, then, yes we could have a lot more people, with little way of providing for them except for food. But would you really want to live in 1950s Ireland?

Advertisement