Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Ivy cuttings

Options
  • 11-09-2020 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

I took cuttings from a neighbours plant about 6 weeks ago.
    Put four of them into a pot with peat compost and covered with a clear plastic bag and put into a shady spot.
    So far the leaves have fallen off three of them with no roots visible at the bottom of the pot and the last one isnt looking so hot with blackening at the edges of its leaves too.
    I've tried this before on other climbers (Clematis) and it always worked out great, is there a nack to propagating boston ivy or any ivy? Its a bugger to get out where I don't want it (ivy in general) so thought this was a no brainer, clearly its not so easy!
    Anyone care to share some tips?, I'm assuming I'll have to wait until spring now to try again or just bite the bullet and get some from the local garden center.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I have it rampant in my garden and took it from my last house. I think you will find it self roots when a long stem hits the ground when soil friendly spot to root in. See if you can find one and pot up carefully? Prob a bit late now to be taking old style cuttings. Leaves are rapidly turning colour now so shutting down for winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks, I think that's where I went wrong, i stuck it upside into the soil rather than laying it across it and just covering the top. Oh well, live and learn. Have to face the shame of asking for more cuttings or else nick some when he isn't home, not like he'll notice :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A totally rampant plant. Am still trying to get rid of it over two years. Cut it down and blasted with glyphosate, well it sprouted the following year. Kept it down all Summer and more glyphosate. Followed by a kettle full of boiling water a few days later. Then a half kilo of salt and some hot water, and covered it with an old piece of carpet. Fingers crossed.

It is a nice plant, but it is hard to keep up with it.

I now have passion flower. Much easier to keep under control. And it's evergreen too.

I hope I'm not putting you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

A totally rampant plant. Am still trying to get rid of it over two years. Cut it down and blasted with glyphosate, well it sprouted the following year. Kept it down all Summer and more glyphosate. Followed by a kettle full of boiling water a few days later. Then a half kilo of salt and some hot water, and covered it with an old piece of carpet. Fingers crossed.

It is a nice plant, but it is hard to keep up with it.

I now have passion flower. Much easier to keep under control. And it's evergreen too.

I hope I'm not putting you off.

This is exactly why I thought I'd have four plants literally clawing their way through the plastic bag in a few weeks!, but it didn't happen :(
    I don't mind the maintenance as it will be against the front wall of my front porch rooted in a hole I plan to make in the concrete beside the wall, so its ability to spread will be pretty curtailed (I hope) once I do get it going, even if thats by conceding defeat and buying a plant.
    The wall is north east facing and my neighbours huge Cherry tree blocks the mid morning sun too so it's about all I think I can grow there successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Supercell wrote: »
    This is exactly why I thought I'd have four plants literally clawing their way through the plastic bag in a few weeks!, but it didn't happen :(
    I don't mind the maintenance as it will be against the front wall of my front porch rooted in a hole I plan to make in the concrete beside the wall, so its ability to spread will be pretty curtailed (I hope) once I do get it going, even if thats by conceding defeat and buying a plant.
    The wall is north east facing and my neighbours huge Cherry tree blocks the mid morning sun too so it's about all I think I can grow there successfully.

Google shade loving clematis.

No matter where you put the Boston Ivy it will take over everything!

I have some shady clematis on a North facing wall, and they are thriving, but they do die down in Winter.

https://www.thorncroftclematis.co.uk/quick-selection-lists/shadetolerant.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭standardg60

Supercell wrote: »
    Thanks, I think that's where I went wrong, i stuck it upside into the soil rather than laying it across it and just covering the top. Oh well, live and learn. Have to face the shame of asking for more cuttings or else nick some when he isn't home, not like he'll notice :D

You mis-read Garlinge's post. What he meant was there should already be some stems of your neighbours plant which are trailing along and rooting themselves into the ground. It's these that can be dug up and transferred. If there aren't any just lay a few across the ground, they'll soon root in.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Just be careful not to allow clamber up to upper floors of a house, it will make its way into the attic. Actually it only gets going in late May and after spectacular display of Autumn colour in leaves, it will soon be bare. So not much to see of it from late Sept to end of May. I will cut back growth that is gone over neighbours garden and out to front path, easy enough job with hedge cutter. I like the way it clothes high concrete block garden walls. Real chore is getting rid of the clippings. I think easier to control than ordinary ivy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

OT, but I’m interested in passion flowers.
    I want to grow something on a trellis around our patio for privacy reasons.
    Would passion flowers block out light?

Advertisement