Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switches Tripped, Reset, Now Some Plugs Not Working

Options
  • 11-09-2020 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,951 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, as per thread title last night a flatmate tripped the switches in the house while unplugging a George Foreman in the kitchen, this is the second time this happened in 6 months, not sure if that's relevant but anyway it killed the power to the whole house.

I reset the trip switches so that they were all up and every room seemed perfect until I noticed a lamp was off in my bedroom and my laptop wasn't charging, turns out 2 sets of sockets on one wall in my room are dead the other 2 sets in the room are fine.

I checked the trip switches again and they're all up, asked everyone else in the house and all their plugs and lights are fine, washer and drier fine, shed is fine, external floodlights etc all fine, it's literally just these 2 sets of sockets.

Is there anything I can check again or try with the switches or should I just ring the landlord for an electrician?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I'd suggest having the wiring of the house checked out by a registered electrician.

How many switches had tripped last night? Were they circuit breakers and/or the RCD? It would be unusual for multiple circuit breakers to trip... The main fuse tripping would of course knock out the full house...

Obvious question: you're absolutely sure all breakers/RCDs are back up?

Does the socket the George Foreman was using work now? Could be a damaged ring main, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,951 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It was the main switch and one other, I'm 99% sure they're all up, there is one slightly different one that's down but I think that's some kind of master switch that resets them all or something, I'm not an electrician as you can probably guess so I'll take a pic when I get home in an hour, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Thargor wrote: »
    It was the main switch and one other, I'm 99% sure they're all up, there is one slightly different one that's down but I think that's some kind of master switch that resets them all or something, I'm not an electrician as you can probably guess so I'll take a pic when I get home in an hour, thanks.

It wasn't the main switch. The main switch doesn't trip as it's a fuse.
    You're 99% sure they're all up but there is one down??
    This one is probably the problem. Is it double the size of the others with a test button on it?
    A picture will definitely help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Pull the tripswitch down firmly and then push it back up to reset.

Here's a pic, thanks for the help...

3cia9JK.jpg

• Advertisement

meercat wrote: »
    That's the one on the left of the top row in my pic I assume? Called away up to Dublin now so it'll be Sunday before I can try again...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

This.

Make sure its fully down then fully up.

aido79 wrote: »
    It wasn't the main switch. The main switch doesn't trip as it's a fuse.
    You're 99% sure they're all up but there is one down??
    This one is probably the problem. Is it double the size of the others with a test button on it?
    A picture will definitely help.
    The one that's down is on the right of the top row in my pic, it's different to the others, we thought it was a reset thing not an actual switch that trips, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

The one that's down is on the right of the top row in my pic, it's different to the others, we thought it was a reset thing not an actual switch that trips, is it?

The switch that’s down(top right) needs to be pushed back up. That’s probably the circuit that’s not working

As a side note,have you an electric cooker. There’s no 32amp mcb which is unusual.

The switch that’s down(top right) needs to be pushed back up. That’s probably the circuit that’s not working

As a side note,have you an electric cooker. There’s no 32amp mcb which is unusual.
    No its gas.

I said that to they guy I live with 3 times and he insisted it was some kind of reset thing not a tripswitch! Ill try it when I get back. Bit odd to have one slightly different switch that just seems to affect 2 plugs in a massive house though isnt it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

No its gas.

I said that to they guy I live with 3 times and he insisted it was some kind of reset thing not a tripswitch! Ill try it when I get back. Bit odd to have one slightly different switch that just seems to affect 2 plugs in a massive house though isnt it?

The only difference between it and the others is that it's a different brand. It might look different physically but it does the exact same thing as the others.
    It's a B type 20 amp mcb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

The fact that this MCB is a different brand to the rest suggests that somebody has been here before and possibly changed it.
    Wiring needs testing.

Advertisement