Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General TV License Discussion

• 11-09-2020 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

got a few letters lately about the tv license. addressed as 'the occupier'

tv licence man called yesterday and left a card to pay it

I am renting the house.

as the name on these letters is just 'the occupier' is there nay grounds to bring this further, they don't have my actual name etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

obi604 wrote: »

I am renting the house.

as the name on these letters is just 'the occupier' is there nay grounds to bring this further, they don't have my actual name etc

Nope. You're occupying the house. Save the hassle and pay the monthly fee. They've effectively given you the heads up, and the gits will arrange a summons and a fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Nope. You're occupying the house. Save the hassle and pay the monthly fee. They've effectively given you the heads up, and the gits will arrange a summons and a fine.

They can do neither without a name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If you have a TV pay... If you don't then don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

True but I’m sure it will bite me eventually.

I just hate paying this stupid fee. Bills left and right and then this.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Joey321

A friend I worked with years back was renting with four others, TV licence person knocked on the door looking for TV licence, friend gave his name and everything after that was addressed to him, just buy a licence and split the cost if renting with others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

True but I’m sure it will bite me eventually.

I just hate paying this stupid fee. Bills left and right and then this.

Yeah it's an absolute pain, they caught me like 4-5 days after I moved into the place last year.

Yeah it's an absolute pain, they caught me like 4-5 days after I moved into the place last year.

Right. And the thing is I am just the occupier now. Once I pay I am on the system for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Got years of these cards and letters in a former apartment. Without a name or you answering the door and letting them in, they can't do squat I believe. They only seem to call during working hours it seemed when I was naturally absent, I wouldn't have bothered opening doors to unexpected callers anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Ryan Tubridy and Ray D'arcy get nearly a million euro from RTE a year...

Throw that letter in the bin

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭3d4life

Right. And the thing is I am just the occupier now. Once I pay I am on the system for good.

Go to a Post Office and buy one in the name of "The Occupier"

• Advertisement

And this is what grates on me and makes me bitter about paying this sh1te

But then I could be open to further crap if I don’t pay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

if you have one pay it in the next day or pay bigger fine and also pay a license fee pay at post ofice

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    if you have one pay it in the next day or pay bigger fine and also pay a license fee pay at post ofice

Why pay at post office? (Versus online)

$1000 fine

$1000 fine

Is this in answer to my question about the post office or what?

3d4life wrote: »
    Go to a Post Office and buy one in the name of "The Occupier"

Will they even allow this or will they want a name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I am renting the house.

Grounds to bring this further?

That made me smile, thanks.
    Time to pay up OP.

imme wrote: »
    Grounds to bring this further?

That made me smile, thanks.
    Time to pay up OP.

Ye wha. Sure they dont have my name. Just ‘the occupier’

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Never give your name, feck that.

Don't open the door, they've no way of finding out.

The system is great, long live the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I am renting the house.

OK, I'll share my experience, 20 years ago I bought a house, obviously I've got to know local post master etc, so the fun commenced and not once was my name correct, varying first names from Jill, Jack, John etc, surname was correct, sometimes . I moved abroad working a number of times in the 20 years, back now for about 2 years, now the letters refer to the occupier.

Of course this is completely unacceptable and a summons can not be issued to "the occupier", what's extraordinary is I pay my property tax, was registered for water charges etc, it is just beggers belief the licence authority can't get my name correct. I've naturally returned all letters with incorrect name and any addressed to the "the occupier", makes me sound like a squatter.

I'm not encouraging non payment, just on principle, they need to get my name correct, yes I'm being padentic, but that's my perogative.

With regard to ops query,, whilst you are obliged to pay your TV licence, the authority is equally obliged to have their records correct. Of course one good thing about GDPR, they can't ask your landlord for your personal details but I wondered like other state agencies can they get info From the RTB?, doubtful I suspect.

Anyway, that's their Job and to answer your specific concern, "an occupier" is not a legal entity for the purposes of correspondence or for that matter issuing a bill or paying for a service, its that simple, over to you.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Electoral roll would give them your name unless you ticked the box saying you do not want your personal details to be used by third parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Inspector called to us the day we were moving into the new house, caught me off guard; we were carrying furniture in when he arrived. There wasn't even a Tv plugged in yet! We had a licence for the old address and just hadn't gotten around to switching it over. I told him just that [in effect I was admitting I didn't have one for this new address, you live and learn] ... still got a summons in the post [they did have my name on record for the new address so it seems they can when they want to] That day in court it was nothing but other people up for no licence - Judge asked us all in turn did we now have an updated one and one by one he struck them off, took a few seconds per person - he didn't want his time wasted. One girl said she didn't have one because she didn't watch tv, and he struck that one right off without any further question too. I think the courts are fed up to feck with people being put before them over no licence - you pretty much only have to state that you don't watch tv, and they strike it off. They would have to get a search warrant to prove otherwise and they really don't want the hassle. So yeah, I have a licence but only because the kids watch tv, I rarely do and certainly never RTE.

Inspector called to us the day we were moving into the new house, caught me off guard; we were carrying furniture in when he arrived. There wasn't even a Tv plugged in yet! We had a licence for the old address and just hadn't gotten around to switching it over. I told him just that [in effect I was admitting I didn't have one for this new address, you live and learn] ... still got a summons in the post [they did have my name on record for the new address so it seems they can when they want to] That day in court it was nothing but other people up for no licence - Judge asked us all in turn did we now have an updated one and one by one he struck them off, took a few seconds per person - he didn't want his time wasted. One girl said she didn't have one because she didn't watch tv, and he struck that one right off without any further question too. I think the courts are fed up to feck with people being put before them over no licence - you pretty much only have to state that you don't watch tv, and they strike it off. They would have to get a search warrant to prove otherwise and they really don't want the hassle. So yeah, I have a licence but only because the kids watch tv, I rarely do and certainly never RTE.

Just amazes me the priorities of the state, that inspector clearly over stepped the mark, you just having moved in, thankfully most District Court Judges sensible, with social distancing at the moment, it would be a brave and Brazzen license inspector to call on many homes at the moment, especially Dublin.

Inspector called last day. I was in house and on a call upstairs. Kept bloody ringing whilst I was trying to listen to my call. Then started tapping on the glass part of door with keys. Annoying.

He left a note to say ‘aerial’ seen. And he be back in 15 days.

Let’s see he calls and I answer - what happens?
    (If I haven’t bothered getting a license in meantime)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

You seriously couldn't make this up.
    It's a pain in the arse to have to do it, but just pay the feckin licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Haven’t paid licence fee since 1993

You can push it right on until they give you a 28day warning and at that stage the game is up and you’d better get one, but they will have got your name to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

_Brian wrote: »
    Haven’t paid licence fee since 1993

You can push it right on until they give you a 28day warning and at that stage the game is up and you’d better get one, but they will have got your name to do that.

:D

Are you looking to be complemented. :rolleyes:

If you have a TV you need a licence.
    It is an old idea and an old system but it is the law and the system that we have at the moment.

Non payment and having to have inspectors going all over the country are contributary factors to the cost of the TV licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Just amazes me the priorities of the state, that inspector clearly over stepped the mark, you just having moved in, thankfully most District Court Judges sensible, with social distancing at the moment, it would be a brave and Brazzen license inspector to call on many homes at the moment, especially Dublin.

There was one in my estaste yesterday. Called to 5 houses. There's an estate behind me that's bigger. He was there for an hour. Driving an old 03 heap o sh1te.

OP, don't buy a licence just yet. Wait till you're "caught". . After that wait till the day before court. Then get a licence. Once the judge sees it you'll be grand.

sligojoek wrote: »
    There was one in my estaste yesterday. Called to 5 houses. There's an estate behind me that's bigger. He was there for an hour. Driving an old 03 heap o sh1te.

OP, don't buy a licence just yet. Wait till you're "caught". . After that wait till the day before court. Then get a licence. Once the judge sees it you'll be grand.

Right. Don’t think I want to go down the court route though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Theyll never catch me!!

Hope the B@€€ox was wearing a mask :)

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Theyll never catch me!!

Based on your user name, will you do a magic dissappearing act :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I don't believe the story as you can transfer a license and it would have been easy to check the previous address.

A similar story comes up on nearly every TV license thread both here and in the uk right down to a person saying that they don't watch TV and gets it struck out.

I call bs on the post you replied to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

$1000 fine

Wasn't aware we dealt in $....

Oh well, trump or the Chinese will get it in the end.

Cheaper to pay licence
    Than fine and a licence
    166 euros vs 1166 euros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Pay the license if you have a TV. You can pay €13.33 a month direct debit, so you don't feel it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I moved to my current apartment last year. After moving in there were multiple letters addressed to the previous tenants, then to the occupier. They all went in the bin. I don't think I've received any letters since January. I'd say don't pay until you get one in your own name.

I moved to my current apartment last year. After moving in there were multiple letters addressed to the previous tenants, then to the occupier. They all went in the bin. I don't think I've received any letters since January. I'd say don't pay until you get one in your own name.

My point exactly, I've no issue paying the licence fee albeit it sickens me subsidising the absolute crap on RTE and Virgin, but as I've raised earlier, if a state body can't be bothered to get a residents details correct, why would anyone pay this fee, its just absurd. Perhaps they think vast amounts of Squatters reside in properties throughout the country "Ocuppier" my A#€E, just laziness & incompetence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Buy a licence in the Post Office in Tubridy's name for your address. Show them that if/when they call back

Then, at the end of the term, transfer the address on the licence to Tubridy's own house. So that all further reminders are sent directly to him.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Get the 4 euro stamps down the post office. They are the job.

• Advertisement

More rubbish.

Did you follow him? And detail all his moves?

You do know that they know what homes have licenses and what don't?

So they don't drive around for an hour just randomly knocking on doors.

Another myth by the take take take brigade that think everything should be free (until the other people's money runs out)

Both of those presenters are strong net earners for rte. Between sponsorship and advertising their programs earn multiples of their costs.

Biggest cost for rte is live sport esp gaa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Darc19 wrote: »
    More rubbish.

Did you follow him? And detail all his moves?

You do know that they know what homes have licenses and what don't?

So they don't drive around for an hour just randomly knocking on doors.

What part is rubbish? I'm well aware that they know who hasn't a license.

He called to 5 houses out of 20 in my estate. I saw him an hour later leaving the estate behind me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Darc19 wrote: »
    Another myth by the take take take brigade that think everything should be free (until the other people's money runs out)

Both of those presenters are strong net earners for rte. Between sponsorship and advertising their programs earn multiples of their costs.

Biggest cost for rte is live sport esp gaa.

Good for you. You tell em Ray!

Yeah, it felt like a trap, like they were checking who'd just moved for them to pounce. I wouldn't have been so polite only I was shifting furniture with a guy who'd offered to help, didn't want to cause a scene, the inspector was actually well mannered and dare I say even 'friendly' - course it was an act he'd already had the summons applied for I'd say.

imme wrote: »

If you have a TV you need a licence.
    It is an old idea and an old system but it is the law and the system that we have at the moment.

*looks at current RTE offerrings*

"Fûck that."

*looks at current RTE offerrings*

"Fûck that."

Unfortunately it's not that simple, they say if you can receive tv signal [Sky/BBC/RTE etc] then you have to have a licence. Only if you stream/download from the likes of Netflix or Amazon Prime only, with no connection to any TV broadcast, no aerial or sky dish [or similar satelite for TV] are you exempt

I’m probably going to pay this shaggin thing. Have no interest in going to court etc.

Is the best option to go to the post office and get it done as ‘the occupier’

Unfortunately it's not that simple, they say if you can receive tv signal [Sky/BBC/RTE etc] then you have to have a licence. Only if you stream/download from the likes of Netflix or Amazon Prime only, with no connection to any TV broadcast, no aerial or sky dish [or similar satelite for TV] are you exempt

Everyone is well aware of that. You don't have parrot all of it back at me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭horse7

My point exactly, I've no issue paying the licence fee albeit it sickens me subsidising the absolute crap on RTE and Virgin, but as I've raised earlier, if a state body can't be bothered to get a residents details correct, why would anyone pay this fee, its just absurd. Perhaps they think vast amounts of Squatters reside in properties throughout the country "Ocuppier" my A#€E, just laziness & incompetence.

Only Rte stations get the money from the license.

• Advertisement
Advertisement