Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4g bonding router

• 11-09-2020 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi there - just looking to see if there's anything out on the market at the moment that isn't massively expensive, and hope I'm getting the lingo right, so bear with me.

Looking to bond a couple of 4g sims together - the only stuff I'm seeing when searching for this are costing €500-600.

Is there something that can do it cheaper? Basically doing work in a remote location and need very reliable internet, am close to a mast with both 4g Vodafone and Eir on it, idea would be to get a sim each and bond them together to give an 'always on' reliable connection.

Grateful of any help/advice/wisdom from some boardsies :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

ro23 wrote: »
    Hi there - just looking to see if there's anything out on the market at the moment that isn't massively expensive, and hope I'm getting the lingo right, so bear with me.

Looking to bond a couple of 4g sims together - the only stuff I'm seeing when searching for this are costing €500-600.

Is there something that can do it cheaper? Basically doing work in a remote location and need very reliable internet, am close to a mast with both 4g Vodafone and Eir on it, idea would be to get a sim each and bond them together to give an 'always on' reliable connection.

Grateful of any help/advice/wisdom from some boardsies :o

There are cheaper options, Alix routers can do this, you need to download an OS also, there are a few open source options.

However, you can't just bond 3G/4G connections to make one faster connection. Bonding would require another router or agrigate sever somewhere else with a high speed connection.

There may be a service that you can use for a fee so you'll end up paying 3 times for your bonded connection.

Depending on what you are trying to achieve load balancing the 2 connections may be useful but won't create one bonded connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bonding (outside of being done by the telco) isnt popular because its a bit of a mess.

Are you sure the two cells don't share their backhaul anyways?

Advertisement