Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Reset

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

CCP24 wrote: »
    That was said about the masks , it was an option to wear it at the start of this pandemic. Now we get fined, for not wearing one in public. It conveniently became mandatory in this country.

Maybe think of it differently. You live in the Amazon and have never had any contact with the outside world, don’t know anyone who had contact with the outside world, or even seen a car. You find one, but you don’t know much about it, and there is no manual to read. However you have seen carts before as there is one in your village and so you know a car can move and want to get it to move. Everything afterwards is a learning curve. It is the same with this new virus.

Btw, what fines have been imposed in Ireland for not wearing a face covering in public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Quiner

You really should move right country now today. Stop delaying! Although I’m not sure you’d survive elsewhere, and you’d soon realise how good you have it in Ireland. How are you with languages?

If Health Passport Ireland (don’t forget the Ireland part to prevent confusion with assisting those with intellectual disabilities- which you conveniently confuse and it has to be deliberate) even gets off the ground it would be an opt in system, you know like downing a music app on your phone where you opt in to use the app, but no one hold a gun to your head forcing you to use it.

How have I confused the two? I pointed out several times that the are different. In response to another poster, I posted a link to the Health Passport Ireland promo video, and a link to the HSE health passport. Far from confusing the two, I have had to point out to posters that they are different.

I'm saying that I'm considering moving. I'm waiting to see what the early part of next year brings. I need to wait for countries to get rid of the masks, if ever they do, before deciding where to go.

An opt in system? So two people go to a restaurant. One has the health passport app (that's Health Passport Ireland) and the light flashes red. That person is refused entry. But the other person who doesn't have the app just walks in no problem? It'd be a farce. Red lights galore on one side of the entrance, people walking in no problem on the other side.

Quiner wrote: »
    How have I confused the two? I pointed out several times that the are different. In response to another poster, I posted a link to the Health Passport Ireland promo video, and a link to the HSE health passport. Far from confusing the two, I have had to point out to posters that they are different.

I'm saying that I'm considering moving. I'm waiting to see what the early part of next year brings. I need to wait for countries to get rid of the masks, if ever they do, before deciding where to go.

An opt in system? So two people go to a restaurant. One has the health passport app (that's Health Passport Ireland) and the light flashes red. That person is refused entry. But the other person who doesn't have the app just walks in no problem? It'd be a farce. Red lights galore on one side of the entrance, people walking in no problem on the other side.

You have referred to ‘health passport’ a number of times, rather than ‘health passport Ireland’. Maybe you don’t realise you are doing it, but you are.

There is no conspiracy, or inkling that health passport Ireland will ever be implemented. Surely you can back up your traffic light system being implemented in Ireland if they are true. A promo video by a private company doesn’t back it up, as they have no power or influence on a democratically elected government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭CCP24

Maybe think of it differently. You live in the Amazon and have never had any contact with the outside world, don’t know anyone who had contact with the outside world, or even seen a car. You find one, but you don’t know much about it, and there is no manual to read. However you have seen carts before as there is one in your village and so you know a car can move and want to get it to move. Everything afterwards is a learning curve. It is the same with this new virus.

lol , **** me you are comparing some bull**** and there was me thinking we had experts in charge. Our Irish experts that are given too much coverage on Mainstream media are not , some new out of the unknown , Amazonians to viruses, we have had ebola, swine flu, spanish flu to learn lessons from. They are dragging this one out , reasons unknown or is it? We are nearly 10 months into this new virus , Vaccines, masks, digital passports, constant scaremongering, forcing people to close their businesses for a virus they now know and have known for months now is 98% recoverable from.

There is money to be made by keeping this going and its not us regular joe soaps that going to come out buying up the country is it?

Colds & flus not to be heard of anymore, actually have we had the winter vomiting bug yet? Had that last year awful dose went around in December had to stay in bed for a week.

Btw, what fines have been imposed in Ireland for not wearing a face covering in public?

None that I can find, which suggests that the good people of Ireland have been very compliant and have been wearing their masks & doing everything above board as always, but more so since they changed the law and made them mandatory. Probably out of fear of being fined more than getting a virus that we know we have a 98% survival rate from. They clearly don't work though as the cases keep rising.

None that I can find, which suggests that the good people of Ireland have been very compliant and have been wearing their masks & doing everything above board as always, but more so since they changed the law and made them mandatory. Probably out of fear of being fined more than getting a virus that we know we have a 98% survival rate from. They clearly don't work though as the cases keep rising.

Please edit your post to remove your comments from mine. It may have been an error, but I do not wish to be linked to what you say.

• Advertisement

You have referred to ‘health passport’ a number of times, rather than ‘health passport Ireland’. Maybe you don’t realise you are doing it, but you are.

There is no conspiracy, or inkling that health passport Ireland will ever be implemented. Surely you can back up your traffic light system being implemented in Ireland if they are true. A promo video by a private company doesn’t back it up, as they have no power or influence on a democratically elected government.

But after pointing out that I'm referring to Health Passport Ireland it's not necessary to write Health Passport Ireland again and again. People know that I'm talking about Health Passport Ireland. I'll give you an example:

"Health Passport Ireland is being trialled. When people have Health Passport Ireland on their phone Health Passport Ireland will flash green, orange or red" vs "Health Passport Ireland is being trialled. When people have the health passport on their phone the health passport will (or 'it will', if you prefer) flash green, orange, or red".

It's clear that I'm referring to Health Passport Ireland, but it might be no harm to say, to avoid confusion, that whenever I refer to a 'health passport' in my posts I am referring to Health Passport Ireland. I just referred to the HSE health passport because posters were confusing the two.

There is most definitely an inkling. It's being trialled all across the country and the government is set to analyse the results of the trials. The trials are ongoing. But they're introducing freedom passes in England, which suggests that there is a possibility that Health Passport Ireland will be implemented in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Detritus70

The absolute toddler tantrum some people throw because they have to wear a fcuking mask.
    Though moving country is a good idea.
    I suggest Russia.

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

There was one recently, arsehole on a bus refused to wear one.

That's a logical fallacy, numbers rising when people wear masks doesn't mean masks don't work. You'd need to compare people without masks versus people with masks to see if that is true. Logically mask wearing slows down spread, it doesn't make you immune

Detritus70 wrote: »
    The absolute toddler tantrum some people throw because they have to wear a fcuking mask.
    Though moving country is a good idea.
    I suggest Russia.

For how long? You haven't answered the question.

Russia's just as bad as here with the things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Heres my thoughts on the Great reset. In the west we are generally guilty of not just over consumption but also conspicuous consumption. This is killing the planet.

In order for us to curb this, we effectively need to become much poorer and therefore less wasteful. The problem is - how to you stop anarchy and riots on the streets when alot of goods will double in price say? The backdrop of all this is mass lay offs and a world where more low skilled jobs are getting automated.

Its estimated that roughly 80% of the population are non thinking happy consumerists. People are in some ways irrational, with strong violent and sexual forces underneath that need to be kept in check - consumerism helps alot here. It keeps the public docile and happy.

I suspect the Great reset is born out of a fear of the collapse of western society and that rule by fear in some form may have some merit. It has been tried before with politicians and news outlets trying to spread fear about international terrorism.

• Advertisement

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Heres my thoughts on the Great reset. In the west we are generally guilty of not just over consumption but also conspicuous consumption. This is killing the planet.

In order for us to curb this, we effectively need to become much poorer and therefore less wasteful. The problem is - how to you stop anarchy and riots on the streets when alot of goods will double in price say? The backdrop of all this is mass lay offs and a world where more low skilled jobs are getting automated.

Its estimated that roughly 80% of the population are non thinking happy consumerists. People are in some ways irrational, with strong violent and sexual forces underneath that need to be kept in check - consumerism helps alot here. It keeps the public docile and happy.

I suspect the Great reset is born out of a fear of the collapse of western society and that rule by fear in some form may have some merit. It was been tried before with politicians and news outlets trying to spread fear about international terrorism.

I think you're right. Fear is crucial to all of this. And getting people to turn against each other.

But I'm not sure it's fear of the collapse of Western society. I think the plan is to bring about the collapse of Western society. Hence 'build back better', for example. Can't build back without destroying society first. In my opinion, we are witnessing a controlled demolition of the economy. Hence hardly any talk since March of the importance of the economy. It's barely been mentioned. Governments across the Western world appear not to be at all concerned about massive levels of debt, huge levels of unemployment, the destruction of small and medium sized businesses and so on. That is because they are destroying them on purpose, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,633 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I think you're right. Fear is crucial to all of this. And getting people to turn against each other.

But I'm not sure it's fear of the collapse of Western society. I think the plan is to bring about the collapse of Western society. Hence 'build back better', for example. Can't build back without destroying society first. In my opinion, we are witnessing a controlled demolition of the economy. Hence hardly any talk since March of the importance of the economy. It's barely been mentioned. Governments across the Western world appear not to be at all concerned about massive levels of debt, huge levels of unemployment, the destruction of small and medium sized businesses and so on. That is because they are destroying them on purpose, in my opinion.

To what end? When this is over barbers, shops, pubs, cafés, restaurants etc will either reopen or new ones will open.

So you're saying there is a plan to close these businesses and not let anyone replace them when things are back to normal?

My interpretation of the "fear of collapse of western society" in my post above is referring to the likely chance of huge social unrest, protests, riots, vandalism & mass unemployment thats caused by people having to face up to the reality of what we are doing in the form of curbing our wealth by a large factor.

I dont believe that governments want to teardown society per se. Democracy with capitalism is not perfect but there's arguably no better time or place to be alive that in Europe / Oz / Canada etc right now. Things work pretty well as it is, apart from the global warming thorn in our side.

To what end? When this is over barbers, shops, pubs, cafés, restaurants etc will either reopen or new ones will open.

So you're saying there is a plan to close these businesses and not let anyone replace them when things are back to normal?

But who's going to risk opening a small business when the government can just decide to shut it down? A dangerous precedent has been set.

My interpretation of the "fear of collapse of western society" in my post above is referring to the likely chance of huge social unrest, protests, riots, vandalism & mass unemployment thats caused by people having to face up to the reality of what we are doing in the form of curbing our wealth by a large factor.

I dont believe that governments want to teardown society per se. Democracy with capitalism is not perfect but there's arguably no better time or place to be alive that in Europe / Oz / Canada etc right now. Things work pretty well as it is, apart from the global warming thorn in our side.

I see. I wonder whether there will be riots and social unrest. From what I can see, and based on opinion polls, huge majorities support the destruction of the economy, mass unemployment, and all the other dire consequences of yo-yo lockdowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,633 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

But who's going to risk opening a small business when the government can just decide to shut it down? A dangerous precedent has been set.

You missed the part where I said "when all this is over "

Lots of people. Here is just one example I came across recently: https://lovindublin.com/dublin/brand-new-barber-cafe-has-just-opened-up-in-dublin

Here are some more: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/i-might-be-crazy-the-people-who-set-up-new-businesses-during-covid-1.4369652?mode=amp

Yet again your fears are unfounded bull crap.

I see. I wonder whether there will be riots and social unrest. From what I can see, and based on opinion polls, huge majorities support the destruction of the economy, mass unemployment, and all the other dire consequences of yo-yo lockdowns.

Im not sure what the destruction of the economy actually means. I cant imagine there is any appetite from anybody for complete destruction. But reducing consumerism will be destructive to the economy to some extent at least, the main one being job losses and less spending power generally. Being poorer is the price we will probably have to pay in the long run.

If people cannot be trusted to change their consumerist behaviors it may be forced upon us by the powers that be. Tbh, it seems like people are out buying like always so governments / big powers will likely step in to try herd the masses in a different direction.

I wish there was more conversation about simple ways to reduce our carbon footprint. There a load of websites like below with simple ideas that are almost never brought to the public through advertisement or other forms.

Simple ideas of not buying bottled water, stopping junk mail or putting a brick in your cistern are easy and helpful.

https://www.builddirect.com/learning-center/home-improvement-info/energy-efficiency/top-20-ways-to-reduce-your-carbon-footprint-at-home/

Or what about pushing the idea of repair instead of replace. No word from anyone in government suggesting or pushing this that I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

People have yet to be hit where it matters - in their pockets.
    The majority are pretending that the economy is not going down the drain along as "i'm alright Jack", humans are good at pretending that something bad isn't happening.
    When the 'free money' or 'helicopter money' runs out we'll find out if there will be social unrest.
    Interesting that during a general election campaign when politicians are promising millions for this, that and the other they are always asked where will all this money come from because the country can't afford it.
    Not once in the past nine months when politicians are promising billions in 'stimulus packages' have I heard the obvious question - "where is all this money coming from" Why are RTE reluctant to ask this blatantly obvious question?
    Finally I would appreciate it if some poster doesn't try to tell me that "money is cheap" at the moment, I have no time for that kind of nonsense! A loan is a loan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I wish there was more conversation about simple ways to reduce our carbon footprint. There a load of websites like below with simple ideas that are almost never brought to the public through advertisement or other forms.

Simple ideas of not buying bottled water, stopping junk mail or putting a brick in your cistern are easy and helpful.

https://www.builddirect.com/learning-center/home-improvement-info/energy-efficiency/top-20-ways-to-reduce-your-carbon-footprint-at-home/

Or what about pushing the idea of repair instead of replace. No word from anyone in government suggesting or pushing this that I can see.

You mean like this

https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/25/21719701/european-parliament-right-to-repair-resolution-hardware-eu-commission-2021

Also reducing your own personal carbon footprint is absolutely futile at this stage. The change needs to happen with the big corporations who are the vast majority of the polluters. If its not happening at that level our individual efforts will be for nothing.

I do agree we should be less wasteful though

seannash wrote: »
    You mean like this

https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/25/21719701/european-parliament-right-to-repair-resolution-hardware-eu-commission-2021

Also reducing your own personal carbon footprint is absolutely futile at this stage. The change needs to happen with the big corporations who are the vast majority of the polluters. If its not happening at that level our individual efforts will be for nothing.

I do agree we should be less wasteful though

That's an interesting and encouraging link. Great to see.

I still think big corporations pollute as a result of all of us individuals buying their products. Everything we buy requires energy to make it, store it and transport it.

Our individual footprint reduction is futile in the grand scheme alright. But if all people adopted some of these ideas it would better than not doing anything.
    But getting to that point is the challenge. How do we make people proactive instead of reactive.

There needs to be mass shift in habits. Im trying to doing a few things myself and spread these ideas to others I know. Ironically I actually find a contentment in fixing something broken and continuing to use it and i hope others can get on this bandwagon also, i.e. that fixing something can make you as happy as replacing it.

The majority are pretending that the economy is not going down the drain along as "i'm alright Jack", humans are good at pretending that something bad isn't happening.
    When the 'free money' or 'helicopter money' runs out we'll find out if there will be social unrest.
    Interesting that during a general election campaign when politicians are promising millions for this, that and the other they are always asked where will all this money come from because the country can't afford it.
    Not once in the past nine months when politicians are promising billions in 'stimulus packages' have I heard the obvious question - "where is all this money coming from" Why are RTE reluctant to ask this blatantly obvious question?
    Finally I would appreciate it if some poster doesn't try to tell me that "money is cheap" at the moment, I have no time for that kind of nonsense! A loan is a loan!

You're right. And not only the majority (who are wrong again), but the governments of the West. Not at all bothered about the ruined economy, massive unemployment, huge debt, wrecked businesses etc. But they don't care because it's all by design. How can something be built back better if it's not destroyed?

You missed the part where I said "when all this is over "

If it's ever over.

Who would take the risk? When the next virus comes along the government will just shut the business down for months, if not years.

You're right. And not only the majority (who are wrong again), but the governments of the West. Not at all bothered about the ruined economy, massive unemployment, huge debt, wrecked businesses etc. But they don't care because it's all by design. How can something be built back better if it's not destroyed?

You can build back better by fixing the things that are broken but leave alone the things that are working.

Im not sure why governments of the west would want ruined economies, massive unemployment etc. Governments want to keep their economies going as it keeps them in power and the money rolling in. Thats why the rise of consumerism since the 1920s has been pushed upon so much.

You can build back better by fixing the things that are broken but leave alone the things that are working.

Im not sure why governments of the west would want ruined economies, massive unemployment etc. Governments want to keep their economies going as it keeps them in power and the money rolling in. Thats why the rise of consumerism since the 1920s has been pushed upon so much.

That's true, but there'll be a lot to build back better. They're destroying lots of businesses and the economy. And I have barely heard a peep out of any of the governments about the economy. They seem to be very relaxed about the destroyed economy and the huge and growing levels of debt, massive unemployment etc. In my opinion that is because they are destroying on purpose so that it can be reset and built back better. It's not normal for there to be so little concern from the governments about the catastrophic consequences of lockdowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

That's true, but there'll be a lot to build back better. They're destroying lots of businesses and the economy. And I have barely heard a peep out of any of the governments about the economy. They seem to be very relaxed about the destroyed economy and the huge and growing levels of debt, massive unemployment etc. In my opinion that is because they are destroying on purpose so that it can be reset and built back better. It's not normal for there to be so little concern from the governments about the catastrophic consequences of lockdowns.

Stop stressing, light a candle, say a prayer... Be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

So, you know the answer but you don't want to hear it, yeah?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

EyesClosed wrote: »
    Stop stressing, light a candle, say a prayer... Be grand

Completely normal life vs lockdowns for what could be forever. The first is Tanzania, the second is Ireland. You can focus on their praying to God, but the fact is that life is normal there, while here we can barely do anything.

• Advertisement

Completely normal life vs lockdowns for what could be forever. The first is Tanzania, the second is Ireland. You can focus on their praying to God, but the fact is that life is normal there, while here we can barely do anything.

We already had this discussion.

If you don’t test for covid, you don’t have official cases.

Advertisement