Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos can't see fault in tv

Options
  • 11-09-2020 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭

Bought a tv in Argos a couple weeks ago, only last week when watching football did i notice a problem with the tv, when anyone hits the ball its like lag with the ball or a bit of motion blur, very annoying and very hard to watch football with, I've also noticed it with anything fast moving on screen

Thought Argos would be happy to give a refund once I explained the issue, but they asked to hold it for the evening to see the issue themselves. Got a call earlier from manager saying she couldn't see anything wrong, asked if i could come in and show her the issue, I did and despite pointing out the issue to them it was hard to see what the problem was so couldn't approve a refund, they asked to hold on to it longer and perhaps bring the issue to the manufacturer

I don't think they'll see the issue even with the extra time, while its the sort of thing you'll clearly see when sitting down to watch the game, setting it up in the corner of a storeroom isn't the same

What might my options be with this? Do I have any recourse if they can't see the issue but I definitely can

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What brand of TV is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Hitachi. Not the best brand obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Any motion settings to be played with?

theteal wrote: »
    Any motion settings to be played with?

Tried all the changes from many a google and youtube searched, never helped

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's likely not a fault just a budget TV ,
    Also your tv service provider could also be part of the problem especially sky who have ****e standard on their package ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hitachi. Not the best brand obviously

Hitachi TVs are not made by Hitachi - they're Turkish junk.

Design 'feature' then. Cheap TV = motion blur.

I'd also look for any pixel processing features, if any, and turn them all off. Cheap junk processing is worse than none.

There is no way to make the zombie brands problem go away, but the amount of consumers who see a "proper" brand and assume they're getting a suitable product from it is huge. Sharp, Grundig, Toshiba etc are all ruined for consumer electronics.

Gatling wrote: »
    It's likely not a fault just a budget TV ,
    Also your tv service provider could also be part of the problem especially sky who have ****e standard on their package ,

It's annoying cause I also have a Bush that was cheaper again but no such problem

I'd mainly use IPTV through an android box, was hoping it was a bad stream but I've also tried watching football on the apps on the tv and a PS4 and its the same no matter the source
    L1011 wrote: »

I'd also look for any pixel processing features, if any, and turn them all off. Cheap junk processing is worse than none.

There is no way to make the zombie brands problem go away, but the amount of consumers who see a "proper" brand and assume they're getting a suitable product from it is huge. Sharp, Grundig, Toshiba etc are all ruined for consumer electronics.

Didn't know that, I wouldn't keep up to date on details of all tv brands, I know LG, Samsung and Sony would be near the top end

I'll stay away from the zombie brands so when I' getting a new one, there's no way I'm keeping this tv, if Argos don't take it I'll get rid on Adverts for hopefully a small loss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The Turkish company, Vestel, have even made lower end TVs for the big brands. I think LG, Samsung and Sony haven't used them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

If you are sure its faulty you can pay for an independent engineers report to get proof, and backu your assertion.

If you have bought a cheap/crap tv, and its working as designed, then it is essentially a change of mind situation, where you dont have rights legal rights.

However there is still store policy

If you bought it online you had 14 days under distance selling regulations - you could have sent it back.

Argos have a change of mind policy, but some products are exempted so you will have to check with them about

"AFTERSALES, RETURNS, REFUNDS & EXCHANGES
    Changed your mind? Don't worry. Our hassle-free returns guarantee means quick and easy returns within 30 days. "

If its more than 30 days - then either you prove its faulty or you try to win them over wiht your best smile. Ask them really nicely and tell them your their best customer but the tv is just not as good as you hoped and see if you can get them to provide you with an exchange as a gesture of goodwill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Philips TVs aren't made by Vestel and are reasonably priced with good processing. Vestel are terrible on motion picture rendition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Op, you can't call it a fault. It's just a compromise from buying cheap. It's probably fine for cartoons or soaps.

If you were sold a tv not fit for purpose you'd have a case but picking a tv off the shelf and hoping it meets your needs isn't the same thing.

If the tv was on display in the shop showing perfect motion for football and you bought the same tv and it didn't have the same quality you'd be entitled to return it

Or if a shop made claims like the tv was 4k and it was only HD.

I'd suggest connecting a laptop via hd and get high definition footage of a match and see how it looks (to rule out problems with the device that you're currently using)

lomb wrote: »
    Philips TVs aren't made by Vestel and are reasonably priced with good processing. Vestel are terrible on motion picture rendition

I bought a budget Philips 32 inch for the bedroom and immediately was disappointed by the sound and screen brightness/contrast. That's the problem when you're spolied from watching a 50.inch Samsung.
    Need to manage expectations

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Argus are famous. For taking items back without any fuss. It's one of the main reasons why people use them.

Maybe technology has changed but I seem to remember that the refresh rate (I think) can cause the issue you described. If memory serves anything with a refresh rate below 100 can cause the issue. If your TV has a low refresh rate & is advertised as low then you won't have much come back.

Someone will come along and tell me I have the terminology I used is all wrong and maybe all modern tvs have a higher refresh rate.

If there wasn't any difference in the quality of the 350 euro tv & the 3500 euro tv then we'd all buy the cheaper one. I wonder if its just to be expected on cheaper models?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Argus are famous. For taking items back without any fuss. It's one of the main reasons why people use them.

Maybe technology has changed but I seem to remember that the refresh rate (I think) can cause the issue you described. If memory serves anything with a refresh rate below 100 can cause the issue. If your TV has a low refresh rate & is advertised as low then you won't have much come back.

Someone will come along and tell me I have the terminology I used is all wrong and maybe all modern tvs have a higher refresh rate.

If there wasn't any difference in the quality of the 350 euro tv & the 3500 euro tv then we'd all buy the cheaper one. I wonder if its just to be expected on cheaper models?

Totally agree, within same brand, higher spec models have better picture quality. I have a few Samsung’s, definite picture difference between higher spec models and lowers. But then the lower specs were a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

Sleeper12 wrote: »

From my experience, once the item is within warranty. Otherwise you’ll have to get a report on what the issue is. I gave up trying to get one for a faulty microwave, that stopped working after 13 months (half of which was in storage).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Cork_Guest

Have you tried throwing the sales of goods act at them? Sounds as though it is not ‘fit for normal purpose’ so at minimum I’d be asking for a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

What source is your football?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Cork_Guest wrote: »
    Have you tried throwing the sales of goods act at them? Sounds as though it is not ‘fit for normal purpose’ so at minimum I’d be asking for a replacement.

Motion blur on cheaper TVs doesn't mean they aren't fit for purpose.

Motion blur on cheaper TVs doesn't mean they aren't fit for purpose.

The OPs purpose of the TV is to watch soccer, to which the atV can’t cope with the speed, so not fit for the OPs purpose. Argos should therefore offer to replace the unit for a better one at additional cost or refund the payment.

Or are you just saying tough luck and your hard earned money’s gone, suck it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The OPs purpose of the TV is to watch soccer, to which the atV can’t cope with the speed, so not fit for the OPs purpose. Argos should therefore offer to replace the unit for a better one at additional cost or refund the payment.

Or are you just saying tough luck and your hard earned money’s gone, suck it up?

It is fit for purpose, the fact that the op selected a TV that doesn't suit his purpose doesn't change that.

• Advertisement

He can still watch football. Just from the ground rather than the stand.

It is fit for purpose, the fact that the op selected a TV that doesn't suit his purpose doesn't change that.

You’ve literally proved my point. The op selected a tv that doesn’t suit his purpose, therefore not fit for purpose. You must work for a retailer with that attitude, which seems to me is, the consumer can get shafted.

Perfect for watching chess though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

You’ve literally proved my point. The op selected a tv that doesn’t suit his purpose, therefore not fit for purpose. You must work for a retailer with that attitude, which seems to me is, the consumer can get shafted.

You've literally proved the other posters point. The OP selected the TV that doesn't suit his purpose. That is not the retailers fault. Argos are usually excellent for returns

Suit his purpose, and not fit for purpose are two different things. Not much point in buying a 1.1L car if you want to compete with 6L ones in a drag race.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The purpose of the TV is to display a screen. If it's not a high enough quality as advertised, than yes, but this needs to be shown.

Also, it can't be based upon an individual's requirement for it to be fit for purpose. I'd love my TV to change everyone's face in anything I watch, to mine, but it doesn't. Am I entitled to a refund? *And before you accuse me, no I don't work in retail, I don't work in electronics or anything to do with manufacturers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Cork_Guest wrote:

This is stretching consumer law way beyond reality.

If OP wanted to watch football without blur then he should buy one with specs that cover fast moving objects. Maybe he did. I don't know. I can't buy a hatchback & my purpose is to go off roading and claim it not fit for purpose because it won't go off road without getting stuck in the mud. It's not what his purpose is. It's whatever the tv is designed for

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭gabe1977

It's annoying cause I also have a Bush that was cheaper again but no such problem

I'd mainly use IPTV through an android box, was hoping it was a bad stream but I've also tried watching football on the apps on the tv and a PS4 and its the same no matter the source

Am i right in assuming your just using different devices to play the stream but the stream is the same source.
    I have the same issues on my TV when playing IPTV streams but if I watch through sky there are no such issues.
    I would try the tv connected to a sky box or aerial and see what the motion blur is like then. I'd hazard a guess that it wouldn't be an issue then.

Surprised there’s so many saying tis the OPs fault....and we wonder why we’re ripped off so much in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

L1011 wrote: »

+1

A good few years ago I visited Waters electrical ( Culloville) looking for a tv. Was shown a few models when I mentioned that my current tv ( Ferguson) was over 20 years and showing no signs of packing up, the salesman asked me how much I paid for it. And I said about 400 pounds and he said ‘ that’s probably the equivalent of 1,000 pounds now, do you want to spend that kind of money? I fancied a Mitsubishi and he said Mitsubishi wasn’t made by Mitsubishi and was a rubbish tv.( that I would be putting on a skip in 5 years as it couldn’t be repaired economically ). I genuinely can’t remember what I bought but I voluntarily brought it to the recycling centre a few years ago and replaced it with a flat screen one. It was still working fine. But I do remember it weighed a ton :)

Advertisement