Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos can't see fault in tv

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Cork_Guest wrote: »
    Surprised there’s so many saying tis the OPs fault....and we wonder why we’re ripped off so much in the country.

That is assumed, if you want to watch fast sports, buy a TV with the spec that matches the picture quality you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Cork_Guest

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    This is stretching consumer law way beyond reality.

If OP wanted to watch football without blur then he should buy one with specs that cover fast moving objects. Maybe he did. I don't know. I can't buy a hatchback & my purpose is to go off roading and claim it not fit for purpose because it won't go off road without getting stuck in the mud. It's not what his purpose is. It's whatever the tv is designed for

Minimum basic requirement of a TV is to be able carry out its function to a satisfactory level. Soccer isn’t a new thing, so if it cannot keep up with the kicking of a ball then it’s not fulfilling its basic function.

I’m not saying hitachi and Argos should be hailed in front of the courts and put to death, in just saying give her man a refund or replacement and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

An IPTV box is not a suitable test bed for a TV. It is subject to poor connection, compression, unknown image processing on both the transmission and recieving end.

I had last generation UPC box (not Horizon), can't remember the brand, but it completely destroyed picture quality of RTE 2 HD (watching football) - so much so that I used the TV's own SaorView tuner which did a perfect job.

Minimum basic requirement of a TV is to be able carry out its function to a satisfactory level. Soccer isn’t a new thing, so if it cannot keep up with the kicking of a ball then it’s not fulfilling its basic function.

I’m not saying hitachi and Argos should be hailed in front of the courts and put to death, in just saying give her man a refund or replacement and be done with it.

It is fulfilling its basic function, just not to the ops expectation. That does not make it unfit for purpose.

Dav010 wrote: »
    That is assumed, if you want to watch fast sports, buy a TV with the spec that matches the picture quality you want.

Yep! So Argos refund or replace and all is well. They don’t say, ah well sure the 6 o’clock news is grand so what’s yer problem! That’s BS. Maybe the OP made a mistake, maybe there’s a genuine fault, either way that’s why retailers have return policies and why there’s a sales of goods act in the first place.

• Advertisement

An IPTV box is not a suitable test bed for a TV. It is subject to poor connection, compression, unknown image processing on both the transmission and recieving end.

I had last generation UPC box (not Horizon), can't remember the brand, but it completely destroyed picture quality of RTE 2 HD (watching football) - so much so that I used the TV's own SaorView tuner which did a perfect job.

Same as that, have ****tv, quality is less than sky box.

It is fulfilling its basic function, just not to the ops expectation. That does not make it unfit for purpose.

Please post the basic functionality specs for TVs that show what is required to watch soccer without stutter and blur. Thanks

Also, who DOESNT expect any TV to be able to show the programs it receives to a decent standard? That’s like saying that it’s grand my car doesn’t steer in a straight line all the time because it was cheap!

Please post the basic functionality specs for TVs that show what is required to watch soccer without stutter and blur. Thanks

Also, who DOESNT expect any TV to be able to show the programs it receives to a decent standard? That’s like saying that it’s grand my car doesn’t steer in a straight line all the time because it was cheap!

Please show me where every TV must meet the purchasers expectations.

Your car should steer in a straight line, but it doesn’t have to go from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds.

Urgh. So you can’t and you embarrass yourself more with a question for a question. I’m not getting dragged down to your level.

If your expectations of standards of things are so low, then you’ve bigger problems.

Urgh. So you can’t and you embarrass yourself more with a question for a question. I’m not getting dragged down to your level.

If your expectations of standards of things are so low, then you’ve bigger problems.

Before the op does anything else, he/she should try connecting TV to a sky box with a good HDMI cable, then see if quality is better than a steaming source.

My expectations are higher when I buy items with better specs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

Lets be realistic, the IPTV is unlikely to be a Fire stick with NowTV and excellent WiFi and broadband.

Rubbish in = rubbish out.

At least get the basics right (high quality satellite with no processing on the box) and then we have a good baseline to compare.

Doesn't matter if you have a Ferrari or a Focus, if you put crap fuel in, it will perform worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

Your car should steer in a straight line, but it doesn’t have to go from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds.

He didn't say expectation, he said you must be able to show the programmes it receives to a decent standard.

I think that's what most people expect. I don't think people think I have to get xyzy spec if i want to see a football in motion.

Everyone expects to see the football and not a blur move across the screen no matter what price a tv is because the basic function of a tv is to show you the moving picture.

Before the op does anything else, he/she should try connecting TV to a sky box with a good HDMI cable, then see if quality is better than a steaming source.

My expectations are higher when I buy items with better specs.

The IPTV box was new information, but that isn’t my point. Consumers have rights which some including yourself seem at pains to put last, and in turn give more power by normality to the retailer.
    All that does is disserve the rest of us. Cash is king and all being a sheep does is keep the consumer down and the retailer in a position where we can be ripped off through lack of competition and by people not standing up.

Lets be realistic, the IPTV is unlikely to be a Fire stick with NowTV and excellent WiFi and broadband.

Rubbish in = rubbish out.

At least get the basics right (high quality satellite with no processing on the box) and then we have a good baseline to compare.

Doesn't matter if you have a Ferrari or a Focus, if you put crap fuel in, it will perform worse.

As I said. The IPTV was new information, but that isn’t what I’ve got an issue with.

We get ripped off in this country compared to others because we don’t have the population and therefore there aren’t retailers in competition giving us the lowest prices and the best deals and therefore the luxury of ‘ah you’re not happy, right well let’s see if we can get you a better TV for a little extra or if not here’s your money back because I need you as a return customer rather than go to my competitor’

Having the attitude that it’s the OPs fault and so he’s lost his money and stuck with it does all of us no favours!

As I said. The IPTV was new information, but that isn’t what I’ve got an issue with.

We get ripped off in this country compared to others because we don’t have the population and therefore there aren’t retailers in competition giving us the lowest prices and the best deals and therefore the luxury of ‘ah you’re not happy, right well let’s see if we can get you a better TV for a little extra or if not here’s your money back because I need you as a return customer rather than go to my competitor’

Having the attitude that it’s the OPs fault and so he’s lost his money and stuck with it does all of us no favours!

I had IPTV, got rid of it, even though I have high spec Samsung TV and 150MB bb, the picture was crap and unreliable. As I said, plug a HDMI cable direct to sky box before you go shouting about consumer rights.

Incidentally, ****tv on firestick is much better, not as good as direct from sky box though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Cork_Guest wrote:

If you buy a budget pc it will be siht for gaming. Games have been out since the 70s /80s. Not being able to play games on doesn't make it fit for purpose. If fact some 4k tvs can't keep up with high end games. Again this doesn't mean that they aren't fit for purpose.

OP also says that it's hard to see that it's not preforming as well as he likes. He doesn't seem surprised that the shop doesn't see the fault. Read reviews on budget tvs and you will often read about motion blur on fast moving objects

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If you buy a budget pc it will be siht for gaming. Games have been out since the 70s /80s. Not being able to play games on doesn't make it fit for purpose. If fact some 4k tvs can't keep up with high end games. Again this doesn't mean that they aren't fit for purpose.

OP also says that it's hard to see that it's not preforming as well as he likes. He doesn't seem surprised that the shop doesn't see the fault. Read reviews on budget tvs and you will often read about motion blur on fast moving objects

A PCs primary function is not gaming, it isn’t even a secondary function, hence the fact that there are specific gaming consoles for gaming. Please point me towards these sport specific monitors, as they won’t be TVs at that point and I’ll be all over it, great for the rugby and I’m sure they’ll handle Netflix. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

A PCs primary function is not gaming, it isn’t even a secondary function, hence the fact that there are specific gaming consoles for gaming. Please point me towards these sport specific monitors, as they won’t be TVs at that point and I’ll be all over it, great for the rugby and I’m sure they’ll handle Netflix. Thanks.

That depends on the PC, plenty build PCs just for gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

An IPTV box is not a suitable test bed for a TV. It is subject to poor connection, compression, unknown image processing on both the transmission and recieving.

I know an IPTV isnt the best source, which is why i tried looking at football on youtube for reference and i see the same thing. Iv used the android box on a Bush tv from Argos and there’s no such issue, its this tv thats the problem

It might be a cheap tv but im asking to watch football on it, its a basic thing surely. Im not looking for a refund because im getting 28 instead of 30 fps on the PS4

Argos said they’ll only automatically refund something if its unused, otherwise has to be a fault

Im not surprised they arent seeing the fault while testing it in store because they’re watching it for a few seconds in the back room, if it was a ‘more obvious’ fault like a black line that you’d see on anything I’m sure they’d have been fine

That depends on the PC, plenty build PCs just for gaming

Yes they do. People pay huge amounts of money to build or buy gaming specific PCs, massive CPUs and CPUs, flash disk and ultra fast DIMMs.
    They don’t just so they can watch YouTube and send a few emails. And any old PC with 8mb broadband at home will stream YouTube to a decent standard.

People buy TVs to watch any channel is receives from a broadcaster to a decent enough standard.

• Advertisement

Cork_Guest wrote:

Hang on. A pcs primary function is to run software. Games & video editing software is software. You are talking rubbish now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

I know an IPTV isnt the best source, which is why i tried looking at football on youtube for reference and i see the same thing. Iv used the android box on a Bush tv from Argos and there’s no such issue, its this tv thats the problem

It might be a cheap tv but im asking to watch football on it, its a basic thing surely. Im not looking for a refund because im getting 28 instead of 30 fps on the PS4

Argos said they’ll only automatically refund something if its unused, otherwise has to be a fault

Im not surprised they arent seeing the fault while testing it in store because they’re watching it for a few seconds in the back room, if it was a ‘more obvious’ fault like a black line that you’d see on anything I’m sure they’d have been fine

Plug it into a decent satellite box, bet you'll not have any issue with a non compressed source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I think people are focusing too much on the soccer. I would imagine this issue affects any relatively fast moving picture including action films, games and some other sports.

Plug it into a decent satellite box, bet you'll not have any issue with a non compressed source

What would that show the running youtube on the tv app or the ps4 app, both on wired 250mb broadband, would not show

It's not the source, nothing to do with that

How did you pay? If by credit card then just call them and explain the situation and ask them to refund the cost.
    If it were me I’d be in there saying I’m not accepting the product but I’m happy to pay a few extra bucks to change it for a better one.

You’re one downside here is you’re streaming the service, without seeing the throughout, latency and contention on your broadband service and home wifi then you can’t prove it’s the TV.

I think people are focusing too much on the soccer. I would imagine this issue affects any relatively fast moving picture including action films, games and some other sports.

Yes there was similar issues with the f1, its only when they'd change camera and the car comes on screen that you see anything, once its on screen and a bit more static there isn't anything really

For football its most noticeable when the ball has just been passed across the field and with the streak behind it you can't actually see the ball

How did you pay? If by credit card then just call them and explain the situation and ask them to refund the cost.
    If it were me I’d be in there saying I’m not accepting the product but I’m happy to pay a few extra bucks to change it for a better one.

You’re one downside here is you’re streaming the service, without seeing the throughout, latency and contention on your broadband service and home wifi then you can’t prove it’s the TV.

I did pay by card but doing a chargeback with the bank is a bit of a nuclear option, I'd be hesitant to do that

Store credit would be an acceptable compromise and something I'll propose when they get back to me if they still haven't seen the issue, I'd definitely do that before going to the bank

https://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/hdtv/motion-lag.html

Worth having a read of the link above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Spleodar

It would be an interesting small claims case. I can’t see how a TV being unable to display a broadcast quality football match is fit for purpose.

Gaming is a different issue, but broadcast television should be displayed without issues.

Try tuning the tv to a match on Saorview, as it will eliminate any issues being caused by your set top box. If that’s still blurring, I can’t really see how the TV meets the requirement of being able to display tv signals.

• Advertisement

Spleodar wrote: »
    It would be an interesting small claims case. I can’t see how a TV being unable to display a broadcast quality football match is fit for purpose.

Gaming is a different issue, but broadcast television should be displayed without issues.

Try tuning the tv to match on Saorview as it will eliminate any issues being caused by your set top box. If that’s still blurring, I can’t really see how the TV meets the requirement of being able to display tv signals.

Well even if it interesting there's no way I'd be looking at doing that

I don't have the tv now and don't have any saorview or similar setups anyway, android box, ps4 and whatever apps are on the tv

Advertisement