Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos can't see fault in tv

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

What would that show the running youtube on the tv app or the ps4 app, both on wired 250mb broadband, would not show

It's not the source, nothing to do with that

The difference is the bitrate of the the stream after decompression. You cannot use an IPTV stream as a test. Any test of the TV needs to be using satellite or terrestrial

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Do all TVs come with Saorview/ freeview now? Can you tune in to GAA match on Rte and is it still faulty?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I did pay by card but doing a chargeback with the bank is a bit of a nuclear option, I'd be hesitant to do that

Store credit would be an acceptable compromise and something I'll propose when they get back to me if they still haven't seen the issue, I'd definitely do that before going to the bank

Ignore anything that lad says, he hasn't a clue. A chargeback will not work.

Argos tend to have very good customer care. Record the issues you are seeing on your phone and you may have a bit more luck. You are reliant on their good will for a refund or exchange so explain that your expectations were not met and ask can you get a different model or shop credit.

You can also try a direct source, i.e sky box, saorview to eliminate any streaming issues and you should Google the exact model and see what options there are for disabling image processing as that can cause blur on fast moving objects.

Edit: what is the exact model of the TV?

Fyi Hitachi seem to call it reel120 - look in advanced video settings and turn that off. It's also called interpolation, motion smoothing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

Cork_Guest wrote: »
    right well let’s see if we can get you a better TV for a little extra or if not here’s your money back because I need you as a return customer rather than go to my competitor’

Having the attitude that it’s the OPs fault and so he’s lost his money and stuck with it does all of us no favours!

I agree with all of that, the retailer should be more understanding, as it's a fair expectation to show football to a watchable level.

But at the same time, assessing the TV with a dodgy source isn't an accurate measurement of it's performance.

The first thing many of those streams do is drop the frame rate to minimise bandwidth. In some ways, a newer cheaper TV with poor software is worse than an older cheap TV with no software which tries to correct the image.

It's a toss of a coin really whether your TV (or ANY TV) does a good job of correcting poor streams. Turn off any and all processing and see how it goes. Even settings called "anti-blur" will more often than not make the picture worse rather than better.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The bank very likely wouldn't entertain a chargeback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

antix80 wrote: »
    I bought a budget Philips 32 inch for the bedroom and immediately was disappointed by the sound and screen brightness/contrast. That's the problem when you're spolied from watching a 50.inch Samsung.
    Need to manage expectations
    Funny I bought a 50 inch QLED samsung and it is rubbish, and the samsung engineer did not deny it is rubbish. He agreed the skin tone is not very good and dark scenes leave much to be desired but he blamed it on the upscalling from HD to UHD tv and said the tv is up to normal standard for the lower end of samsungs high budget tvs. In my opinion (apart from waterfalls bridges and sky scraper buildings) the 21inch sony trinitron of 30 years ago gave a much better picture. It is the same reason why analoge LP's give a better sound than digital cds. With the non HD tv everything went up and down with a curve, but with Samsung Qled and to a certain degree all HD tvs things are either yes or no. This shows watching the irish man on netflix on a samsung QLED tv. There is a scene in a dark bar. Al pachino's face on the lite focus point is perfect, but the darker side of his face does not exist on the samsung QLED tv. On the 30 year old sony the better side of al's face would not be so good, but the darker side would be much better thus making a more realistic picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Cork_Guest

Ignore anything that lad says, he hasn't a clue. A chargeback will not work.

Argos tend to have very good customer care. Record the issues you are seeing on your phone and you may have a bit more luck. You are reliant on their good will for a refund or exchange so explain that your expectations were not met and ask can you get a different model or shop credit.

You can also try a direct source, i.e sky box, saorview to eliminate any streaming issues and you should Google the exact model and see what options there are for disabling image processing as that can cause blur on fast moving objects.

Edit: what is the exact model of the TV?

Fyi Hitachi seem to call it reel120 - look in advanced video settings and turn that off. It's also called interpolation, motion smoothing etc.

Do you work for VISA or a bank to be in the position to say that I don’t have a clue?

VISA dispute resolution is there for exactly this reason.

But thanks for the knock on your first comment to me. Appreciate it ðŸ‘

Dav010 wrote: »
    It is fulfilling its basic function, just not to the ops expectation. That does not make it unfit for purpose.
    If a 500 euro brand new tv from argos just gives sound and vision that is not good enough, you should expect more

Do you work for VISA or a bank to be in the position to say that I don’t have a clue?

VISA dispute resolution is there for exactly this reason.

But thanks for the knock on your first comment to me. Appreciate it ðŸ‘

You haven't a clue. Stop giving the op incorrect advice.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Please show me where every TV must meet the purchasers expectations.

Your car should steer in a straight line, but it doesn’t have to go from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds.

if the purchaser has reasonable expectations and has paid enough money then the tv should meet purchasers expectations

• Advertisement

beaufoy wrote: »
    if the purchaser has reasonable expectations and has paid enough money then the tv should meet purchasers expectations

This is wrong. The TV specifications are published. It is up to the purchaser to ensure those specifications are suitable for their needs.

Bought a tv in Argos a couple weeks ago, only last week when watching football did i notice a problem with the tv, when anyone hits the ball its like lag with the ball or a bit of motion blur, very annoying and very hard to watch football with, I've also noticed it with anything fast moving on screen

Thought Argos would be happy to give a refund once I explained the issue, but they asked to hold it for the evening to see the issue themselves. Got a call earlier from manager saying she couldn't see anything wrong, asked if i could come in and show her the issue, I did and despite pointing out the issue to them it was hard to see what the problem was so couldn't approve a refund, they asked to hold on to it longer and perhaps bring the issue to the manufacturer

I don't think they'll see the issue even with the extra time, while its the sort of thing you'll clearly see when sitting down to watch the game, setting it up in the corner of a storeroom isn't the same

What might my options be with this? Do I have any recourse if they can't see the issue but I definitely can

Argos are owned by sainsburys but do not have the same level of competence are are both ignorant and stupid. I asked to see the manager at the castlebar branch and the assistant said he will be going to lunch soon come back in one and a half hours. I said I can't I have an important meeting to go to, and I was told I was being ignorant expecting the manager to postpone his lunch by ten minutes just so I could go to a meeting.

This is wrong. The TV specifications are published. It is up to the purchaser to ensure those specifications are suitable for their needs.

Rubbish most people would not understand specs...The picture should be pleasing to the eye

You haven't a clue. Stop giving the op incorrect advice.

Wow! You’re a nice person aren’t ya! For someone who’s so adamant I don’t know what I’m talking about, you don’t say much about how the VISA chargeback dispute does work!! Joker! Get anger management, you’re a prime candidate!

Rubbish most people would not understand specs...The picture should be pleasing to the eye

Incidentally, the "pleasing to the eye" standard is actually what's used by many camera and display manufacturers, rather than outright specification, to determine whether a product is good or bad. A perfectly sharp image for example doesn't necessarily look good.

The issue there is that we do not know how much, if any, processing the IPTV box is doing, and at what bitrate and frame rate it's outputting an image.

Wow! And you give out to me about incorrect advice! Post these specifications you speak of that align HZ rates in comparison to different speed sports!!

You are exactly what’s wrong with why we all get charged more for things than other countries! Bow down to your retail masters and take it up the hoop why don’t ya, sure why not even pay more than the list price just because why not! Jesus!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I have an LG OLED and if I dont have all the settings exactly perfect then it suffers with judder and that’s either playing IPTV through a firestick or direct satellite through an amiko alien. Once you get the Trumotion settings on the TV sorted it can give amazing results

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wow! And you give out to me about incorrect advice! Post these specifications you speak of that align HZ rates in comparison to different speed sports!!

You are exactly what’s wrong with why we all get charged more for things than other countries! Bow down to your retail masters and take it up the hoop why don’t ya, sure why not even pay more than the list price just because why not! Jesus!!!

Your posting standard leaves a lot to be desired. Calm it down many notches

L1011 wrote: »
    Your posting standard leaves a lot to be desired. Calm it down many notches

Does RunawayBishops standard meet requirements? First and 2nd ever posts to me publicly saying I haven’t got a clue. Not exactly friendly.

Does RunawayBishops standard meet requirements? First and 2nd ever posts to me publicly saying I haven’t got a clue. Not exactly friendly.

If you have a problem with a post, you report it.

Do not reply to this post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’d agree with you if it was HDMI to sky box, but streaming from IPTV? Get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Wow! You’re a nice person aren’t ya! For someone who’s so adamant I don’t know what I’m talking about, you don’t say much about how the VISA chargeback dispute does work!! Joker! Get anger management, you’re a prime candidate!

Chargeback would not be for this type of dispute.

Cork_Guest has decided that they don't want to abide by the basic rules of the site and has left in a huff. Don't bother replying to their posts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Buyer beware. If you don't understand what you are buying them you can't argue it doesn't perform as designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

beaufoy wrote:
    Argos are owned by sainsburys but do not have the same level of competence are are both ignorant and stupid. I asked to see the manager at the castlebar branch and the assistant said he will be going to lunch soon come back in one and a half hours. I said I can't I have an important meeting to go to, and I was told I was being ignorant expecting the manager to postpone his lunch by ten minutes just so I could go to a meeting.

Eh, manager is entitled to his/her lunch break the same as any other employee. You were out of line trying to mess with a working man's personal time imo. Your business meeting isn't more important than someone's legally entitled break.

This sort of proves that customer isn't always right. :(

Cork_Guest wrote:

I posted a link already explaining this exact thing. Read the thread again. This isn’t a new thing HZ rates have effected fast moving objects since the invention of HD TVs. I have read it in literally hundreds of TV reviews.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I posted a link already explaining this exact thing. Read the thread again. This isn’t a new thing HZ rates have effected fast moving objects since the invention of HD TVs. I have read it in literally hundreds of TV reviews.

Indeed. TVs display 50 or 60 frames a second, the signal however sends only 25/30 (depending on where you are in the world). Modern tvs use interpolation to predict what the next frame will be and create a new frame to go between the actual frames being received. This can cause a blur or ghosting especially in fast moving objects and is why in lower quality TVs it is recommended to disable this processing for sports especially.

Indeed. TVs display 50 or 60 frames a second, the signal however sends only 25/30 (depending on where you are in the world). Modern tvs use interpolation to predict what the next frame will be and create a new frame to go between the actual frames being received. This can cause a blur or ghosting especially in fast moving objects and is why in lower quality TVs it is recommended to disable this processing for sports especially.

You said it better than I ever could. :)

• Advertisement

Exactly, and to compound that, many IPTV streams drop this to 15-20fps, and also resolution, in order to get a fluid picture rather than risk buffering live TV.

Advertisement