Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos can't see fault in tv

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Do you remember how great donkey kong country on the snes looked... On your 21" philips tube crt. Imagine how awesome it would look nowadays on a 60" oled display.... . It doesn't work like that.
    It's not all rose-tinted glasses. The experience was better and new devices likely can't even display output from old consoles.

Do you remember people still bought plasmas even though LCDs had higher res (and if you bought an lcd, could you bring it back because dark movies looked better on your old CRT and the speakers were better too?)

The best analogy for a tv is a car. They all have an ignition, brake and accelerator but your experience can vary. They're all capable of driving on surfaces other than tarmac. They're all capable of driving at 140kph. Most are capable of carrying 5 adult passengers and luggage in the boot. Why spend €40k when the Dacia Sandero is under €11k?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

antix80 wrote: »
    Do you remember how great donkey kong country on the snes looked... On your 21" philips tube crt. Imagine how awesome it would look nowadays on a 60" oled display.... . It doesn't work like that.
    It's not all rose-tinted glasses. The experience was better and new devices likely can't even display output from old consoles.

Do you remember people still bought plasmas even though LCDs had higher res (and if you bought an lcd, could you bring it back because dark movies looked better on your old CRT and the speakers were better too?)

The best analogy for a tv is a car. They all have an ignition, brake and accelerator but your experience can vary. They're all capable of driving on surfaces other than tarmac. They're all capable of driving at 140kph. Most are capable of carrying 5 adult passengers and luggage in the boot. Why spend €40k when the Dacia Sandero is under €11k?

Except im not complaining about being unable to see a players shirt number from a distance like you might be able on a €1000+ tv, im talking about the streak the ball creates when its moving on screen

Its more like a car screeching when you put on the heat, or the fog lights only lighting up the ditch as opposed to the road if you’re going to go for car analogies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Except im not complaining about being unable to see a players shirt number from a distance like you might be able on a €1000+ tv, im talking about the streak the ball creates when its moving on screen

Its more like a car screeching when you put on the heat, or the fog lights only lighting up the ditch as opposed to the road if you’re going to go for car analogies

Anyway, have you checked the notion blur settings or checked a different source?

Anyway, have you checked the notion blur settings or checked a different source?

Yes i played around with every setting that googling how to fix motion blur recommended

I tried changing every setting on the tv up and down to see if it made any difference, whether it was high contrast or low brightness whatever it was the same thing was on screen

Iv mainly tried 3 sources - the android box (which has worked perfectly on other tvs so this isnt the problem), as well as youtube on ps4 and the tv app, same thing on all of them

I'd say it's more like not having power to overtake. Acceleration in a car is analogous to picture quality on a tv.

You can always pick holes in analogies.

You bought a dog of a tv. Post the make and model and we'll see what the reviews say.

Bit of a tip... Do a firmware update. Unlikely to fix anything but small possibility it will.

• Advertisement

I'd say it's more like not having power to overtake. Acceleration in a car is analogous to picture quality on a tv.

You can always pick holes in analogies.

You bought a dog of a tv. Post the make and model and we'll see what the reviews say.

Bit of a tip... Do a firmware update. Unlikely to fix anything but small possibility it will.

Its a Hitachi 50hk25t74u. Reviews arent great but i thought it would have been serviceable at a minimum, i wasnt looking for the best contrast or framerates or any mad features just a basic tv that does the job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Its a Hitachi 50hk25t74u. Reviews arent great but i thought it would have been serviceable at a minimum, i wasnt looking for the best contrast or framerates or any mad features just a basic tv that does the job

You got what you paid for unfortunately. A basic tv.

£300 in argos for a 50" screen...

Quick google reveals it's made for argos shoppers.

Older model but for all intents and purposes it's what you bought.. https://www.whathifi.com/hitachi/50hyt62u/review
    They gave the Turkish/Argos effort 2/5 and describe it as for people who put a big screen over picture quality. It's described as "It is a sharp picture, it’s true ­– but artificially so. The processing seems a little too zealous,"

If you google harder you might find a similarly mediocre review for your model.

For £100 more i bought this 6 mths ago and it is quality. Samsung 55 Inch UE55RU7020 Smart 4K HDR LED TV
    Haven't tested it with football mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Spleodar

joeysoap wrote: »
    Do all TVs come with Saorview/ freeview now? Can you tune in to GAA match on Rte and is it still faulty?

If it's a television it can tune to Saorview. Any cheap UHF antenna plugged into the back of it will likely get you a signal.

Spleodar wrote: »
    If it's a television it can tune to Saorview.

Not true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Very few image processing settings on that TV. Only relevant one is film mode under advanced video settings, it's supposedly for fast motion scenes. If it is enabled, disable it.

Not true

If it’s sold in the Republic of Ireland since the introduction of DTT it is true. Argos Ireland don’t sell non DTT compatible TVs.

If it’s not capable of receiving Irish DTT, it’s not suitable to be sold in Ireland as a television. A screen without a tuner is a monitor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I think your best hope is Argos offer to exchange/refund on a goodwill basis.

I can't see you'd win a claim for "not fit for purpose" as the purpose of a TV is to display broadcast video & audio which it sound like it's doing. If you had been sold the TV after asking for a TV that would display fast moving images without lag or blurring, then you would stand a better chance with a 'not fit for purpose' claim.

To add to the list of bad analogies, you're probably somewhere in the region of "the pockets on these pants are too small for my wallet". :pac:

Argos are usually pretty good with this kind of thing but I'd definitely approach it from a being nice to the staff taking the time angle rather than a demanding consumer rights approach.

Best of luck with it.

Spleodar wrote: »
    If it’s sold in the Republic of Ireland since the introduction of DTT it is true. Argos Ireland don’t sell non DTT compatible TVs.

If it’s not capable of receiving Irish DTT, it’s not suitable to be sold in Ireland as a television. A screen without a tuner is a monitor.

Your statement "If it's a television it can tune to Saorview" wasn't true.

Some people buy from Argos in Newry or Derry.

Anyway not looking to argue, just pointing out that not all TVs can pick up saorview and freeview.

Even any modern (post introduction of Freeview HD) TV sold in the UK will tune Saorview. It will just miss the EPG and will tune the channels to 800 numbers, but it will almost certainly work.

My point is the TV can be tested by connecting it to a simple antenna and watching TV from an over the air source. That will eliminate any issues being caused by the box the OP is watching on.

I mean, you can buy a Chinese TV with a DTMB tuner or a US one with ATSC and it won't work outside its intended market either. I don't think the OP was talking about a TV imported from outside the state or from outside the EU / DVB-T regions.

If a TV can't tune over the air signals here, it is not defined as a TV and isn't fit for sale. It's a just a screen / monitor. To be a television, it has to be capable of recieving television signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Cork_Guest wrote: »
    Surprised there’s so many saying tis the OPs fault....and we wonder why we’re ripped off so much in the country.

i bought a cheap 300 euro laptop and it doesn't run the latest games well at all. Am i entitled to a refund too? Think about it!

Do you think the OP saw the 800 euro + TVs in the store and said to himself people who buy them are suckers? The TV displays the picture to the specified standards of the TV without fault. The more expensive TVs have better picture due to more expensive hardware configurations.

120hz refresh rate would fix the OPs issue. OLEDs are better than LCDs etc. But if you buy a TV that has LED screen and a slower refresh rate, its not broken. You get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

Bought a tv in Argos a couple weeks ago, only last week when watching football did i notice a problem with the tv, when anyone hits the ball its like lag with the ball or a bit of motion blur, very annoying and very hard to watch football with, I've also noticed it with anything fast moving on screen

Thought Argos would be happy to give a refund once I explained the issue, but they asked to hold it for the evening to see the issue themselves. Got a call earlier from manager saying she couldn't see anything wrong, asked if i could come in and show her the issue, I did and despite pointing out the issue to them it was hard to see what the problem was so couldn't approve a refund, they asked to hold on to it longer and perhaps bring the issue to the manufacturer

I don't think they'll see the issue even with the extra time, while its the sort of thing you'll clearly see when sitting down to watch the game, setting it up in the corner of a storeroom isn't the same

What might my options be with this? Do I have any recourse if they can't see the issue but I definitely can

Its not faulty, its expected...

Refresh rates along with other things like "real blacks" and whites have been shocking in a lot of LCD/LED panels.

Year after year regardless of the technology they are using this seems to be the case, especially with entry level models and brands

THis is typically why youd be pay more for a better panel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Your statement "If it's a television it can tune to Saorview" wasn't true.

Some people buy from Argos in Newry or Derry.

Anyway not looking to argue, just pointing out that not all TVs can pick up saorview and freeview.

A lot of the TVs for sale in Argos are identical both north and south of the border.

FWIW
    I bought my last tv off Argos ( ordered it online) when I collected it a few days later - it wasn’t the one I ordered but was a better spec so I said nothing.

It’s a LG which wasn’t in the catalogue but was in Currys for €100 more than I paid. It didn’t say ‘saorview’ on the box but it does receive it.

Advertisement