Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GFX Upgrade possibly

Options
  • 11-09-2020 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭

Currently have a 1060 6GB and game only on 1080p at 60hz. Was considering getting a new card to max out the 1080p experience on any game but am unsure whether to wait for the new round of cards coming out.

Any recommendations for a card or should I just stick with the gtx 1060. BTW this is my mobo Z370 AORUS Gaming K3-CF with an i5 in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If you're willing to go second hand then you could look at a 1080 or similar. If you want ray tracing them perhaps a 2070 Super. Just keep an eye on pricing. There could be some bargains to be had if flash sales start happening on the 20 range.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I see most of the 20 series are now taken down off OCUK there were scores of them 2 weeks ago....now about 4 left!

2nd hand market after the 30 series launch will get you a bargain of a 20 series card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭chabsey

Thanks, was considering the 2070 super so I think I'll hang back and wait for the new series to come out and then pick one up reduced or second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

chabsey wrote: »
    Currently have a 1060 6GB and game only on 1080p at 60hz. Was considering getting a new card to max out the 1080p experience on any game but am unsure whether to wait for the new round of cards coming out.

Any recommendations for a card or should I just stick with the gtx 1060. BTW this is my mobo Z370 AORUS Gaming K3-CF with an i5 in it.

Been pondering on an upgrade myself, I'm using the GTX 1660 [OC version not Ti or super] myself also at 1080p and can run pretty much any game on high to ultra settings; But, I would like to step to 1440p at some point. If I was planning to stick to 1080p I probably wouldn't bother for a while yet - I'm not sure how good the 1060 is by comparison, have you found it struggles with any specific game? How much RAM and what speed do you have? I'm running 16GB of 3200mhz Ram which probably helps a lot.

Been pondering on an upgrade myself, I'm using the GTX 1660 [OC version not Ti or super] myself also at 1080p and can run pretty much any game on high to ultra settings; But, I would like to step to 1440p at some point. If I was planning to stick to 1080p I probably wouldn't bother for a while yet - I'm not sure how good the 1060 is by comparison, have you found it struggles with any specific game? How much RAM and what speed do you have? I'm running 16GB of 3200mhz Ram which probably helps a lot.

Doesn't struggle with anything I've tried but at the moment that's mainly Witcher 3 so not pushing it hard really. I like the look of Metro Exodus and on ultra level, it or the latest Assassins creed look interesting too. It's a 6gb version.

• Advertisement

Doesn't struggle with anything I've tried but at the moment that's mainly Witcher 3 so not pushing it hard really. I like the look of Metro Exodus and on ultra level, it or the latest Assassins creed look interesting too. It's a 6gb version.

I'm playing Witcher 3 too [well, just finished main story but on to the DLC. I can crank everything up to max once I switch off the silly 'Nvidia hair works' that is about the only thing cripples that game with these cards. I prefer it to look pretty than have a few more fps :)

I have played ME, and again could push everything high to ultra, a few minor tweaks - the AC series should be no trouble - If I'm ever lowering anything it'll be shadows, any motion blur [as it just makes me nauseas anyway] and if I really felt I needed to drop anything else it'll be foliage/grass or water. Between high and ultra you don't notice much difference with these option if you have textures ultra

I don't think there's a lot between the 1060 6GB and the base 1660 [also 6GB] I use, you should be good to go. I wouldn't upgrade yet until I seen some reviews on the 3060Ti [just made official today]

I'm only at the start of Witcher really, just dealing with the red baron quest at the moment. I'll hold off on the upgrade until the new cards are out a while and see how the market looks then, thanks.

I'm only at the start of Witcher really, just dealing with the red baron quest at the moment. I'll hold off on the upgrade until the new cards are out a while and see how the market looks then, thanks.

I love that quest, initially I attempted it way too early but jumped to an earlier save and came back to it later on.

I won't seriously think about any upgrade until I get a new monitor first, atm I'm just playing 1080p 60hz, would like to give 1440p 144hz a go, and that's when an upgrade makes more senseb I feel

Advertisement