Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30m-high student accommodation building is ‘too tall’

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Agree
    Very low for both alright, doubt they could say Dyke Road Car park beside it could mitigate against the low number of car parking spaces?

City center apartments next door to all the supermarkets shouldn't need much if any car parking - enough spaces for maintenance types to park if something needs fixed, or if furniture is getting delivered etc.

Living in a city shouldn't need the use of a car. It's time the planners realised that, and encouraging car-driven developments.

timmyntc wrote: »
    City center apartments next door to all the supermarkets shouldn't need much if any car parking - enough spaces for maintenance types to park if something needs fixed, or if furniture is getting delivered etc.

Living in a city shouldn't need the use of a car. It's time the planners realised that, and encouraging car-driven developments.

Sorry, I was in fact referring to the bike parking.

Didn't cop that - yes thats surprising. Surely it doesnt cost much in terms of money or space to add enough bike parking per apartment?

Maybe it's a figure based on the projected average uptake of cycling(?) - assumption then would be everyone else exclusively uses the bus or walks?

It's also next to a city bike share station, would pair up well with the stations next to NUIG.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

When are we going to realise in this country we need to start building up instead of out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sprawl is better than skyscrapers in my opinion.
    Skyscrapers concentrate everything "downtown", adding to the traffic problems we already have.
    It looks cool in movies from America, but for Galway - no.

What's the upside of a high concentration of tall buildings in the city centre?
    What do you think would happen to the tourist industry if the quaint city centre were replaced with glass and concrete boxes, would it increase or decrease?

Decentralise and build high in places like Parkmore and other industrial estates.

biko wrote: »
    Skyscrapers concentrate everything "downtown", adding to the traffic problems we already have.

What do you think would happen to the tourist industry if the quaint city centre were replaced with glass and concrete boxes, would it increase or decrease?

Decentralise and build high in places like Parkmore and other industrial estates.

Skyscrapers dont add much to traffic problems because people living in them dont need to drive & wont add to traffic.
    Take any city in the world and apply Galways population density to it, the sprawl would be immense and the traffic crippling.

I agree glass & concrete boxes arent nice to look at - but thats a different problem.
    Entirely feasible to build mid-rise that wont dominate the skyline, and build it out of something that doesnt look like a generic office.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You want to build high rise housing in Parkmore and industrial estates?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

This is NOT a skyscraper. If you were not a moderator I would say you are trying to derail the thread?
    Its a 30m student block on the Headford Road beside the Industrial style Cinema .Its 7 storys high (https://geo.galwaycity.ie/ePlan5/AppFileRefDetails/20184/0)
    +
    We have the "car traffic" because we have sprawl. This Development only has 11 car spaces for 250 occupants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Where is the skyscraper? We're talking about 20 storey buildings. We need to stop sprawl. Concentrate in certain areas people living, working better and put in far better infrastructure in terms of public transport, cycling routes, park and ride where necessary and you have a far better city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Quaint is a thing of the past, its not the 1960s any more.

Where is the skyscraper? We're talking about 20 storey buildings. We need to stop sprawl. Concentrate in certain areas people living, working better and put in far better infrastructure in terms of public transport, cycling routes, park and ride where necessary and you have a far better city.

No its not 20. It is 7/8 story's high building that is been proposed here. The Multi Story car park near by at the Corrib Shopping center will still be looking down on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

No its not 20. It is 7/8 story's high building that is been proposed here. The Multi Story car park near by at the Corrib Shopping center will still be looking down on it.
    Yeah sorry. Got wires crossed.
    And i wouldnt have problem with a 20 storys being built. Main thing to take is the city has to go up and stop always being built outwards

Yeah sorry. Got wires crossed.
    And i wouldnt have problem with a 20 storys being built. Main thing to take is the city has to go up and stop always being built outwards

You may have been thinking of the tall hotel plan for the coal yard down the docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

Plans approved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I'm not so familiar with these documents, but most of these conditions seem very fair and reasonable.

I'm not so familiar with these documents, but most of these conditions seem very fair and reasonable.

Hmmm - read the submissions about the Development and then compare with the conditions. A lot of the conditions attached to the Development by the Council are pretty vague, wide open to interpretation. Overall to me its a positive Development, this area of town needs a big overall, it is a bit of a mess. Still no Local Area Plan for it.....

This has been appealed to ABP by An Taisce

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/309607.htm

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/appeal-lodged-against-254-bed-headford-road-student-accommodation/?fbclid=IwAR3TKL3Ihjz_RlR1Hxe5HP1686HZK4pogUsoQZi5lEylbEYQepreJkUDsF4

Original planning application, with An taisce's original submission is here - https://geo.galwaycity.ie/ePlan5/AppFileRefDetails/20184/0

I wish I could attach an taisce's initial submission to this post but GCC's planning portal makes it a massive pain to find and extract exact pages of correspondence from a planning application

I did not go through all 689 pages of the original application so maybe I missed something but is an Taisce's objection all to do with the quality of water in Galway and there being maybe too much student accomodation? I'm quite surprised they're the ones to appeal this

I agree that there seems to be a glut of student accomodation. A lot has come on stream in the last few years but I would expect one so close to the centre of town to never be struggling to get tenants for the school year and summer. I do have my doubts that some of the others more recently built will be full especially given they don't seem to be any cheaper than ones which are better located.

• Advertisement

I wish I could attach an taisce's initial submission to this post but GCC's planning portal makes it a massive pain to find and extract exact pages of correspondence from a planning application

Big time, I hope at least "the scanning" of all these documents are somehow automated?
    Does make it difficult to find information alright. Would seem to make the process easier if all the documents were digitally uploaded when submissions are been made.

Not sure. I know the county council use a very similar system, even the webpages are identical however you can browse file by file on their system. Way easier to use

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Question for anyone able to actually read that document. It's very hard on the eyes...will there be much non-residential parking? I know it's a bit taboo but wondering how attractive those retail spaces may or may not be. With the picture, if they have the retail spaces facing back toward the current student accommodation that will mean there will be Scotty's across the road with very little parking as it is already plus I'd guess depending who takes up the spaces the other space already available there where the small shop used to be and that row COULD become prime real-estate.

But if there's no parking, it might only attract businesses purely focused on the student clientele

There was only to be a handful of residential parking spaces. No non-residential spaces. Keep in mind, you have the Dyke Rd car park right behind this development so there's ample, cheap parking at that location, not to mention the retail park

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Question for anyone able to actually read that document. It's very hard on the eyes...will there be much non-residential parking? I know it's a bit taboo but wondering how attractive those retail spaces may or may not be. With the picture, if they have the retail spaces facing back toward the current student accommodation that will mean there will be Scotty's across the road with very little parking as it is already plus I'd guess depending who takes up the spaces the other space already available there where the small shop used to be and that row COULD become prime real-estate.

But if there's no parking, it might only attract businesses purely focused on the student clientele

Scotty's across the road? Scotty's is in Dun na Coiribe, this development is opposite Lidl?

This has been appealed to ABP by An Taisce

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/309607.htm

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/appeal-lodged-against-254-bed-headford-road-student-accommodation/?fbclid=IwAR3TKL3Ihjz_RlR1Hxe5HP1686HZK4pogUsoQZi5lEylbEYQepreJkUDsF4

Original planning application, with An taisce's original submission is here - https://geo.galwaycity.ie/ePlan5/AppFileRefDetails/20184/0

https://connachttribune.ie/plan-for-student-block-on-headford-road-faces-appeal/

The board is due to issue its decision in July (13/07)

Ya - with a condition of getting more appropriate bike parking spaces for the residents here thankfully.

Thanks to the Galway Cycling Campaign for getting that in.

This one is not done yet it seems. The developer wants to increase the amount of beds from 223 to 272, and additional 49 beds

The developer is now seeking approval from the city council to amend those plans, with modifications to the second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth floor layouts of the complex.

This would only increase the number of units by one, to 69, but the number of bed spaces within those apartments would be increased to 272 in total.

Approval is also being sought to replace a gym on the second floor with communal spaces, and for amendments to three retail units, while a forth would be converted to offices.

The number of bicycle storage spaces in the student accommodation complex would also be increased from 134 to 157.

Decision from the council is due end of Nov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Any info on student accom monstrosity beside the river?

Advertisement