Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delivery drones

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Panda5000

Love drones, love tech, love food/drink deliveries but very mixed feelings about this becoming the norm and the sky buzzing with drones. Current quiet spots could become flight paths between retailers and residential areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Panda5000 wrote: »
    Current quiet spots could become flight paths between retailers and residential areas.

They aren't flying at eye level, so you won't hear them that much.

Effects wrote: »
    They aren't flying at eye level, so you won't hear them that much.

They're big beasts! Even when walking the prom I pick up on small DJI mavics buzzing around at a considerable height, these would need to fly very high to go unnoticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Drones for these sort of deliveries is utter madness as well as accidents waiting to happen. There's all sorts of useful things the technology can be used for as has been mentioned - blood deliveries, emergencies, offshore islands, remote locations in the Third World etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

When the fad of using drones to deliver shopping goes off them, the hipsters will resort back to sending notes via courier pigeon retro style

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Drones for these sort of deliveries is utter madness as well as accidents waiting to happen. There's all sorts of useful things the technology can be used for as has been mentioned - blood deliveries, emergencies, offshore islands, remote locations in the Third World etc.

It's a trial, if it's successful then I expect it to be rolled out into more important industries. There has been a few deliveries to my housing estate with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Del.Monte wrote: »
    There are already drones in Rwanda.

To be honest, the way the world works is that nothing gets invented to deliver vaccine to villages in Africa.
    Things are developed for profit and then the technology can be used in humanitarian ways also.
    It's just the way things are.

For me I can't wait to get pizzas etc delivered by drone.

When the fad of using drones to deliver shopping goes off them, the hipsters will resort back to sending notes via courier pigeon retro style

You're a hipster yourself though, so why are you against them?

Panda5000 wrote: »
    Even when walking the prom I pick up on small DJI mavics buzzing around at a considerable height, these would need to fly very high to go unnoticed.

They don't make as much noise as a car driving past though, do they?
    So maybe just take it as a trade off. With more electric cars these days, you have less noise, but it's replaced by the sound of drones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

You're a hipster yourself though, so why are you against them?

I just think it’s a load of sh1te.it would have its place in the outback maybe delivering medicine etc where there’s no built up areas and power lines and people have to travel long distance.
    If it’s used as it is now within a few kms of a shop to deliver coffee and a load of staff involved in its operation it’s nonsense.

• Advertisement

I just think it’s a load of sh1te.it would have its place in the outback maybe delivering medicine etc where there’s no built up areas and power lines and people have to travel long distance.
    If it’s used as it is now within a few kms of a shop to deliver coffee and a load of staff involved in its operation it’s nonsense.

Its a trial. How do you get to having reliable services in the outback? By doing trials. The trial is from the tesco in Oranmore - a place which gets rural very quickly.
    load of staff involved in its operation it’s nonsense.

The reason for the 'load of staff' is because its a trial. Once flightpaths are established it can be automated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Much faster deliveries from more variety of places..

They don't make as much noise as a car driving past though, do they?
    So maybe just take it as a trade off. With more electric cars these days, you have less noise, but it's replaced by the sound of drones.

My point was you can get away from the main road to avoid cars and get some peace. Drones will fly over you in previously quiet spots as they take a straight line from A to B.

Advertisement