Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does Square footage work?

Options
  • 12-09-2020 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, I've seen a few posts about checking the square footage on a property against the price to see if getting a good deal but not sure how that works.
    Is it dividing the asking price by the size? Is it better to be more or less per sq foot?
    I saw a house for & €365k and the size was 108m squared. Do I convert to feet and then divide?
    Sorry new to all this and learning alot every day and was never good at maths problems like this!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Multiply the m2 amount by approx 10.8 to get it in ft2 - google an online calculator it'll do the work for you.

The bigger the ft2 or m2 the bigger the house, the asking price of the house has no impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Ft2 is approx m2 x 11, so 108m2 is around 1150ft2.

The property you are looking at is approx €320 per ft2.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If you're interested in comparing the area cost of two properties, it doesn't really matter whether your compare cost per square foot or cost per square metre. As long as you're consistent.

The property you mention above;

€365,000 for 108 sq m is €3379 per sq m. How does that compare to other properties you're considering?

Obviously cost per sq m (or foot) is only one aspect.

A square meter in D4 is going to cost more than a sq m in D22, you decide if it's worth the premium. 10 sq m in storage space may be worth less or more to you than an extra bathroom.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi, I've seen a few posts about checking the square footage on a property against the price to see if getting a good deal but not sure how that works.
    Is it dividing the asking price by the size? Is it better to be more or less per sq foot?
    I saw a house for & €365k and the size was 108m squared. Do I convert to feet and then divide?
    Sorry new to all this and learning alot every day and was never good at maths problems like this!!!

We don’t really have a square footage cost here in Ireland.
    50 Sq. M in ballsbridge is worth more than 200 Sq. M in Finglas. Location bears more impact on cost in my opinion.

What posts have you seen talking about it???

Cost per square foot is more of interest when you are building rather than buying as when buying, especially a second hand house the size isn’t the biggest influence on the price.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SheepTurtle

Thanks everyone for your replies. I can't find the threads where I read it first now but I wasn't sure if it was something to look at when buying but that clears it up. Thank you 😊

Advertisement