Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Upgradability

Options
  • 12-09-2020 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,
    I'm looking for advice whether my P.c. is upgradable or whether I would be better off with a new build. I bought current P.c. second-hand around 4 years ago.
    I am more a casual gamer but would like to run some Steam VR games on Oculus Quest and maybe Call of Duty, Batman reasonably well. Steam Vr compatability checker says I need to upgrade CPU.

Current spec

Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

CPU Intel Core i5 3550 @ 3.30GHz
    Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

RAM 16 Gb Single-Channel DDR3 @ 784MHz

Motherboard ASRock Z77 Pro3 (CPU Socket)

Graphics 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    ForceWare version 432.00
    SLI Disabled
    Storage 465 GB ST3500312CS (Sata)
    465GB Western Digital (Sata)
    1863GB Western Digital (Sata)

Monitor LG Ultrawide (2560 x1080 @ 60Hz)

Audio NVIDIA HD Audio

Just wondering if current P..c is upgradable, maybe CPU, graphics card and SSD or will it turn out to be overly expensive.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You might find an Ivy Bridge i7 out there to give it a bit longer, but unless you can get it dirt cheap it's not really worth upgrading. It's a bit odd you're running single channel memory - do you have two/four DIMMs? (2 x 8GB or 4 x 4GB)?

You might see some secondhand GPUs at a reasonable price once the main stream start launching from nVidia - Oct/Nov probably so you might start there. Something like a 5600XT if you can get one or a 2060 Super - I'd be aiming for under €200 for those to make it worth it.

Really though you probably need a rebuild - but I'd be in no hurry to do it given the new AMD processors will be announced on the 8th October and with the upcoming GPUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 train.up.

Hey Samual,,thanks for the info.
    Where is usually the best place to pick up second-hand components and the best for new?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

It can be upgraded if you don't want the hassle of a new PC.

i7-3770 - €65.

Ram in single channel is a problem and will further hurt performance, mildly to badly depending on the game. If that's a single stick of 16GB, you should sell and replace it with 2 x 8GB.

GPU wise a GTX1660 Super is a good upgrade without breaking the bank, about €220.

It still will lag behind a new build, but the i7-3770 is still reasonably OK for most games, the i5 has definitely had its day though. But for €65 it'll get you by for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Am I safe to assume that the graphics card does not matter for the Quest gaming? Just the CPU and RAM are relevant?

MoodeRator wrote: »
    Am I safe to assume that the graphics card does not matter for the Quest gaming? Just the CPU and RAM are relevant?

If the quest uses the PC to render the image which I assume it does the GPU is critical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,686 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If it's for Oculus Link I think it does require a decent ish gpu, but requirements are fairly sketchy in terms of what's actually required

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

I was thinking of the of the new Quest 2, I was under the impression that the headset dealt with the graphics :(

I will need to check my card, looks like it is a deal breaker for me

https://www.oculus.com/accessories/oculus-link/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,686 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

MoodeRator wrote: »
    I was thinking of the of the new Quest 2, I was under the impression that the headset dealt with the graphics :(

I will need to check my card, looks like it is a deal breaker for me

https://www.oculus.com/accessories/oculus-link/

It does as a standalone unit, but when you use it with Occulus Link it's just a standard headset like the Rift etc and you need the same hardware that'd be required to play any rift games

Homelander wrote: »
    It can be upgraded if you don't want the hassle of a new PC.

i7-3770 - €65.

Ram in single channel is a problem and will further hurt performance, mildly to badly depending on the game. If that's a single stick of 16GB, you should sell and replace it with 2 x 8GB.

GPU wise a GTX1660 Super is a good upgrade without breaking the bank, about €220.

It still will lag behind a new build, but the i7-3770 is still reasonably OK for most games, the i5 has definitely had its day though. But for €65 it'll get you by for another while.

Cheers,,might go for the CPU.
    Regarding the RAM, I had a look and found 2 x 8gb sticks ram 1600MHz. There are two more empty slots, I think the motherboard supports up to 32gb ram. Is this an area I can look at upgrading? Not really in the know about single and dual channel.
    Thanks in advance.

If you've got two sticks aready it can probably be configured to be dual channel. I wouldn't bother with anymore RAM 16GB is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

you need a new gpu but your better waiting until NVidia brings out it's faster cheaper gpu card
    then other gpu prices will fall stick with nvididia over amd as and has some driver issues

backup everything and put new install of windows Microsoft site has a tool to save it on to usb stick

get ssd drive to load windows onto

clean out your computer from dust
    on YouTube theres a guy he brings computers he fixes outside and uses a leaf blower to clean them blows all the dust away

some people take out cpu and put new thermal paste on it

seee if you can overclock your computer

I have an offer on Adverts/boards member for Xeon E3 1270v2 CPU. Will this be a good fit for my ASRock Z77 Pro3 motherboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

train.up. wrote: »
    I have an offer on Adverts/boards member for Xeon E3 1270v2 CPU. Will this be a good fit for my ASRock Z77 Pro3 motherboard?

I really don't think it would be worth the hassle. Its 60 Euro for a 8 year old cpu. Your coming to the point there is a good chance components fail and are expensive to replace.

Advertisement