Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga 20/21

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Surprised Ramos got away with that handball call in the win over Eibar. I've seen pens given for less than that by VAR. Benzema contributed well again. Best moment of quality from Eibar though with this goal:

https://twitter.com/PremierSportsTV/status/1340756816003813376

Commentator thought he'd missed. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Surprised Ramos got away with that handball call in the win over Eibar. I've seen pens given for less than that by VAR.

Obviously Perez has sorted out a few suitcases of cash for the La Liga officials.

He must have forgotten to send this years payments as Real conceded 5 penalties in 3 games a few weeks back.
    Normal service is resumed now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Great volley to earn Valladolid a point at Sevilla. You can see in one of the replays just how precise it was.

https://twitter.com/PremierSportsTV/status/1340414305515302920

Barca held to a 2-2 draw by Valencia. Suarez meanwhile with a brace in Atletico's win over Elche as they extend their lead at the top. They're 8 points clear of Barca with a game in hand. Letting him leave the club for a rival is looking increasingly foolish on Barca's part.

Valladoid should have won that game only for poor finishing, goal was coming the entire 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Trippier banned for 10 weeks and fined £70k for betting while a Spurs player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Trippier banned for 10 weeks and fined £70k for betting while a Spurs player.

By the English FA, controversial :pac:

They got approval by Fifa though

Unearthly wrote: »

Nicely done by the English FA weakening Chelsea's opponents for the first leg of the Champions League game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Watching the Betis and Sevilla game. Canales already scored a penalty and Fekir takes the second one they get and it's saved. Bizarre decision for him to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

A.Madrid knocked out of Copa del Rey by a 3rd division team this evening, strong team out and all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Messi masterclass today. Great result and nice to score 3 at San Mames. Defence still a bit dodgy, mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Wow Barca win 2 games and all of sudden they are 3rd.

Don't know how these teams manage it ... a "crisis" appears and all of a sudden a few good games and they are back to winning the league.

An easy league/European cup double for them this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Some start in Sevilla game, 2-2 after 15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Unearthly wrote: »

I see Trippier is now free to play, and seems this will either go to CAS or more plausibly just fade away and be forgotten about until such time as he returns to play in the EPL.

The original decision didn't particularly sit well with me as don't like to see the FA in a self-appointed 'world policeman' role able to ban players for offences which aren't football infringements.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jan/14/kieran-trippier-may-never-serve-full-betting-ban-after-panel-deals-blow-to-fa
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jan/02/kieran-trippier-betting-ban-suspended-fa-fifa

Madrid make some compelling points in the second link.

Superb strike from Suso to help Sevilla win at Alaves. Goal of the season contender. It's from 33 seconds in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdunnV4j2js

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

How on earth did Barca let Suarez go on a free and have that donkey Martin Braithwaite up front most games

How on earth did Barca let Suarez go on a free and have that donkey Martin Braithwaite up front most games

Bartomeu the gangster president wanted Suarez out to show Messi who was boss.
    It was also to reduce the wage bill .
    The transfer fee was 6m euro, it wasnt a free transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

Himself and Messi didn't work in the same forward line anymore. But recruitment in the club has been so poor that Braithwaite is the only replacement they could come up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Marcelino has turned around the fortunes of Athletic club in a very short time. I always felt they had the players to challenge for a Champions league place. They could still do that this season the way they are playing now.
    It's 5-1 over Getafe tonight with just a couple of minutes left.
    They won the Super cup, you can see the confidence in the team now.
    I'm super excited for the rest of the season.

Atletico 10 points clear of Barca and Madrid with a game in hand. Another big game from Suarez with a brace. Madness from Barca selling him to a rival.

Atletico 10 points clear of Barca and Madrid with a game in hand. Another big game from Suarez with a brace. Madness from Barca selling him to a rival.

Yes it was insanity, but thats Bartomeu for you, a complete gangster and a buffoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Betis have gone 8 games unbeaten in cup and league and have shot up the table to 7th. The young fellas like Paul, Miranda, Lainez, Rodri and Rubial have been great.

Sounds like an amazing Copa del Rey tie between Granada and Barca. Granada were winning 2-0 up until the 87th minute, Barca make it 2-2 thanks to a 92nd minute equaliser, and go on to win 5-3 in extra-time.

Sounds like an amazing Copa del Rey tie between Granada and Barca. Granada were winning 2-0 up until the 87th minute, Barca make it 2-2 thanks to a 92nd minute equaliser, and go on to win 5-3 in extra-time.

I didnt even realise that was on, looking at the highlights it was a right belter.
    Griezmann seems to finally be finding some form.

Caught the highlights of Sevilla's 3-0 win over Getafe. Ugly moment in the game as Ocampos gets caught badly on the ankle.

https://twitter.com/PremierSportsTV/status/1358162642955829255

Ocampos was stretchered off in tears and both coaches were given red cards for arguing in the aftermath. I'm surprised Djene tried to make a case for himself to the ref.

Betis won again yesterday against Villareal. We are on a roll.

Atletico lost 2 nil at home to Levante today after being held by the same opposition midweek.
    5 points dropped in a week.

Real are currently winning away to Valladolid so should they win they will only be 3 points off the top, albeit having played a game more.
    Barcelona will move six points behind Atletico if they beat Cadiz on Sunday.

The Madrid derby is in 2 weeks.

Its all hotting up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Atletico lost 2 nil at home to Levante today after being held by the same opposition midweek. 5 points dropped in a week.

Really bad week for AM alright, doubt they'll have a better chance win another la Liga

Barcelona could only draw 1-1 at home to Cadiz, who scored a last minute penalty.
    Cadiz had come into the game on the back of 4 defeats, Barcelona had won 4.

Barca had 21 shots to Cadiz’s three but looked suspect at the back, Lenglet again making an error for the penalty.

Whatever outside chance they had at the title is now gone.
    8 points off the top .

Terrific strike from Arambarri yesterday for Getafe in their win over Valencia.

https://twitter.com/PremierSportsTV/status/1365764518496845826

Another win by Betis today, up to 6th now, Pellegrini is working miracles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Catalan authorities have arrested former Barcelona President Josep Bartomeu this morning. Sometimes bad guys get what they deserve.

• Advertisement

Catalan authorities have arrested former Barcelona President Josep Bartomeu this morning. Sometimes bad guys get what they deserve.

Mossos at the camp nou right now, such a shame that this corrupt club will win la liga and most likely the UCL too.

Shame

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Mossos at the camp nou right now, such a shame that this corrupt club will win la liga and most likely the UCL too.

Shame

Have you watched them this season? Take an almighty ****up/run of form for them to win the league, they will be slaughtered by someone good in UCL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Bizarrely, that poster has been banging on about Barca winning everything since the start of the season in spite of the actual results they've been getting. I don't know what they are watching.

Bizarrely, that poster has been banging on about Barca winning everything since the start of the season in spite of the actual results they've been getting. I don't know what they are watching.

They are obviously being sarcastic.

Madrid held to a draw by Sociedad, meaning Atletico stay 5 points clear with a game in hand. The Madrid derby is next Sunday, and Zidane is saying tonight he thinks Benzema could make it. I think he'll have to if they're to have a chance as they don't look anything special without him. If Madrid lose the derby, that's surely curtains for their title hopes. Going to be a massive game.

They are obviously being sarcastic.
    No I'm not, really I am deadly serious, it's always the same with that club,

they have a "crisis" and still manage to win the treble.

They have overcome a 4 goal deficit by PSG before, this is a 3 goal deficit, they'll overturn it and that will give them the belief to win it.

Guaranteed, get your money on them, bookies have them at 80-1 to win the whole thing..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

No I'm not, really I am deadly serious, it's always the same with that club,

they have a "crisis" and still manage to win the treble.

They have overcome a 4 goal deficit by PSG before, this is a 3 goal deficit, they'll overturn it and that will give them the belief to win it.

Guaranteed, get your money on them, bookies have them at 80-1 to win the whole thing..

Still not sure if you are being sarcastic :pac:

Ah I see Barca have pretty much wrapped up copa del Rey ... that;s 1/3 of the treble done.

Amazing the amount of people they manage to fool with their "crisis" ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ah I see Barca have pretty much wrapped up copa del Rey ... that;s 1/3 of the treble done.

I mean, yes, they did successfully beat Seville. But on the other hand, they're buried under massive debts, their recently-resigning president has just been arrested, and the club has just been raided for evidence by Catalan police...

Crisis is a very subjective word, but whatever way you look at it, it's not great.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Not just this season

I think Atletico are in danger and might just stumble over the line. You wouldn't trust Madrid or Barcelona to go on enough of a run but Atletico are struggling in form. Same thing happened at this time of year with Suarez at Barcelona recently.

That is two good wins over Sevilla for Barcelona since the first leg. Short of the Cadiz draw and 89th minute penalty where they were dominating, they've been getting results.

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    Not just this season

I think Atletico are in danger and might just stumble over the line. You wouldn't trust Madrid or Barcelona to go on enough of a run but Atletico are struggling in form. Same thing happened at this time of year with Suarez at Barcelona recently.

That is two good wins over Sevilla for Barcelona since the first leg. Short of the Cadiz draw and 89th minute penalty where they were dominating, they've been getting results.

Shocked! I am shocked!! and this time next week when they win 4/0 or 5/1 in Paris I'll be even more shocked!

Shocked! I am shocked!! and this time next week when they win 4/0 or 5/1 in Paris I'll be even more shocked!

That won't happen. And I won't be shocked when it doesn't.

Sevilla were pathetic again in a big match, i dont think Barca won because of some sort of foolery, Sevilla just cant and wont show up in games that matter.

The last 3 vs Dortmund and Barca twice, i dont think they did a thing of note. Always the fcuking same (see my rant at start of thread about Sevilla being super bottle jobs)

But hey Monchi will buy 39 players in the summer for 50p and sell them for a billion.

Laporta elected new President of Barca.

I see the Madrid derby was just the right result for Barca.

Joke.

Just wait till you see Wednesday evening when they turn the PSG tie around.

I see the Madrid derby was just the right result for Barca.

Joke.

Just wait till you see Wednesday evening when they turn the PSG tie around.

If by some strange chance you are wrong and PSG some how do survive and go through what would say to that Tom?

If by some strange chance you are wrong and PSG some how do survive and go through what would say to that Tom?

It's not gonna happen

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Barcelona win at Osasuna, they're on a very good run of away form and around the top of Europe for clean sheets away from home.

Now that is a turn up for the books.

Great comeback by Betis. 2 down until the hour mark, they win 3-2

• Advertisement

Of the last 14 games since the beginning of the year Betis have only lost 2, they also have won the last 4. We are playing brilliant stuff and the derby next week should be great.

Advertisement