Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

downloaded eir messages vanished

Options
  • 12-09-2020 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

i downloaded all my eir messages to thunderbird, but now they are not there.There is now only an inbox not sent. I have the inbox saved in another program but i have lost the sent. Shouldn't the be on the hard drive whn i downloaed them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

If you use the POP protocol then that will cause nightmares when using several computers. You will have one computer download your mail and the same messages not show up on another. That's because once the messages are downloaded they are deleted off the server.

You can only have proper sync across devices if you use the IMAP protocol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

If you use the POP protocol then that will cause nightmares when using several computers. You will have one computer download your mail and the same messages not show up on another. That's because once the messages are downloaded they are deleted off the server.

You can only have proper sync across devices if you use the IMAP protocol.
    i had imap and only one computer recently. i think i made the mistake of having thunderbird set to delete when eir server deleted. I must have but i should have known better and do know better so i don't know why i would have. But i must have

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Did you download them, so that they would be saved when you lost an eircom.net email address by any chance? If so, and because you had used IMAP, when eir deleted the emails on their server, they were also deleted in your Thunderbird unfortunately. If you are going to open the inbox from the other program, make sure your are disconnected from the internet first, and do a backup/export of the emails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Spocker wrote: »
    Did you download them, so that they would be saved when you lost an eircom.net email address by any chance? If so, and because you had used IMAP, when eir deleted the emails on their server, they were also deleted in your Thunderbird unfortunately. If you are going to open the inbox from the other program, make sure your are disconnected from the internet first, and do a backup/export of the emails
    i don't have any other program.
    Yes I did download them, so that they would be saved when I lost my eircom.net email address . I thought i had told thunderbird not to delete them when eir did but i must have made a mistake

Advertisement