Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel Recommendations

• 12-09-2020 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to spend a weekend in Limerick before the winter sets in and interested in the Strand but it’s quite expensive. I don’t mind splashing out a bit on somewhere nice but would be interested in recommendations for other nice hotels in or near the city.
    Maybe the Clayton or Castletroy Park?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Gael23 wrote: »
    Looking to spend a weekend in Limerick before the winter sets in and interested in the Strand but it’s quite expensive. I don’t mind splashing out a bit on somewhere nice but would be interested in recommendations for other nice hotels in or near the city.

Highly recommend the Strand, don't know what price you were quoted but also look at the George. Castletroy park is nice but outside the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

adaminho wrote: »
    Highly recommend the Strand, don't know what price you were quoted but also look at the George. Castletroy park is nice but outside the city.

Been quoted €260 for 2 nights B&B in the strand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

No 1 pery square also a good option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

The Strand is lovely, and has a pool, lovely bar and restaurant and just a short walk over the bridge to the city. The No.1 Pery is also lovely, but has a smaller 'boutique' hotel vibe. Lovely personal hotel if you are looking for a quieter stay. Castletroy Park is on the city outskirts so you wouldn't really walk to town from there, also I'd rate it lower than Strand or The Pery.

The Strand is lovely, and has a pool, lovely bar and restaurant and just a short walk over the bridge to the city. The No.1 Pery is also lovely, but has a smaller 'boutique' hotel vibe. Lovely personal hotel if you are looking for a quieter stay. Castletroy Park is on the city outskirts so you wouldn't really walk to town from there, also I'd rate it lower than Strand or The Pery.

There’s actually very little in the price between the strand and Castietroy Park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

There’s actually very little in the price between the strand and Castietroy Park

The difference is the the Strand is 5 mins walk from town where as the Castletroy is a 15 min bus ride if you catch it in time! OP what weekend are you looking at?

adaminho wrote: »
    The difference is the the Strand is 5 mins walk from town where as the Castletroy is a 15 min bus ride if you catch it in time! OP what weekend are you looking at?

Either just before or after the October bank holiday weekend. Not really certain yet. It’s €260 B&B for the Strand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭moby2101

Strand is a lovely hotel, I prefer the Savoy tho'

Clayton and Castletroy Park would be well behind the standard of the Strand and Savoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Having stayed in both, the Strand & No1 Perry Sq, I'd opt for No1 Perry Sq, it's a much smaller boutique hotel with a family rather than corporate feel, they also have a nice spa area with steam room & sauna , food is good too, 5 minutes walk to centre of town, it's also probably at the upper end price wise for Limerick but still.....

We live less than 4km from the Perry yet we've booked a couple of sneaky nights away there in the past, throw in a nice massage & an hour in the thermal suite, what's not to like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

The Strand, No.1 Pery or Savoy are all great options.
    Another hotel which I really like is The Absolute. Its about 10 minutes walk into O'Connell St and it looks out in the Abbey River.
    The Strand has a great location but personally I think its restaurant let's it down!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The Absolute seems to attract lots of hens - but maybe not in Covid times .
    I’m not mad on the Strand and paying extra for their onside parking annoys me.
    No. 1 Pery Square is lovely , definitely “ boutique” which may or may not appeal .

Skuxx wrote: »
    The Strand, No.1 Pery or Savoy are all great options.
    Another hotel which I really like is The Absolute. Its about 10 minutes walk into O'Connell St and it looks out in the Abbey River.
    The Strand has a great location but personally I think its restaurant let's it down!

I stayed in the Savoy a few years ago only because I had an arrangement in Limerick early in the morning and it was grand but not sure I’d like it for a leisure stay because it has no leisure centre or anything. That said the restaurant was lovely and I agree the one in the strand doesn’t sound so good,

I stayed in the Savoy a few years ago only because I had an arrangement in Limerick early in the morning and it was grand but not sure I’d like it for a leisure stay because it has no leisure centre or anything. That said the restaurant was lovely and I agree the one in the strand doesn’t sound so good,

If a leisure centre is important then I don't think you will do better than The Strand to be honest.
    The Absolute has a (very) small gym but no pool. There is also no pool on The No.1 Pery, The George or The Savoy as you mentioned.
    The only city centre options for a hotel with a pool would be The Clayton or The Strand and of the two I'd be going with The Strand.

If you do decide to stay in Limerick check out the Limerick City Restaurants thread pinned to the top of the forum, there's a couple of great spots in and around the city so there's no need to stay in the hotel for dinner!

If a leisure centre is important then I don't think you will do better than The Strand to be honest.
    The Absolute has a (very) small gym but no pool. There is also no pool on The No.1 Pery, The George or The Savoy as you mentioned.
    The only city centre options for a hotel with a pool would be The Clayton or The Strand and of the two I'd be going with The Strand.

If you do decide to stay in Limerick check out the Limerick City Restaurants thread pinned to the top of the forum, there's a couple of great spots in and around the city so there's no need to stay in the hotel for dinner!

I was actually wondering about restaurants. Was thinking Hamptons one night but the next is open

There is a Leisure Centre Spa and pool... it's in the basement

moby2101 wrote: »
    There is a Leisure Centre Spa and pool... it's in the basement

In The Strand yes but not The Savoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

would the spa/ pools be open? We were booking somewhere elsewhere for the bit if luxury and at the last minute they mentioned the spa was shut because of covid! Another place a pal was booking had a pool but you had to book a timeslot and only got a half hour and had to go down in your togs and towel as the shower area and changing rooms were shut ( because of covid!) .. mental!!

would the spa/ pools be open? We were booking somewhere elsewhere for the bit if luxury and at the last minute they mentioned the spa was shut because of covid! Another place a pal was booking had a pool but you had to book a timeslot and only got a half hour and had to go down in your togs and towel as the shower area and changing rooms were shut ( because of covid!) .. mental!!

I guess it depends on the hotel but I would imagine the vast majority have their pools and spa's open. I am a member in The Strand leisure centre and it is all open except for the sauna and steam room. Members have to book and it's available in 90 minute slots but I think hotel guests can come and go as they please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The George Hotel, O'Connell Street. 4****.

I guess it depends on the hotel but I would imagine the vast majority have their pools and spa's open. I am a member in The Strand leisure centre and it is all open except for the sauna and steam room. Members have to book and it's available in 90 minute slots but I think hotel guests can come and go as they please.

No hotel guests have to book too as far as I know, No issue with that as long as I don’t check into the hotel and find there’s no slots available during my stay

• Advertisement

In The Strand yes but not The Savoy!

Yes in the Savoy
    You should try it out!!!!!
    https://www.savoylimerick.com/leisure.html

moby2101 wrote: »
    Yes in the Savoy
    You should try it out!!!!!
    https://www.savoylimerick.com/leisure.html

Is that new?

Its been there since it opened I'd imagine.
    We stayed there in 2011 when our house was being painted!
    It's small but immaculately looked after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The Savoy and George are sister hotels so Id say service probably the same between both

It was actually about 10 years ago I stayed in the Savoy. The George appears to be even more expensive than the Strand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Stay in a city hotel, save on taxis and just a walk from the city centre.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Am I missing something here? How is €130 a night for B&B seen as expensive in a 4 star hotel? It seem pretty reasonable to me.

Am I missing something here? How is €130 a night for B&B seen as expensive in a 4 star hotel? It seem pretty reasonable to me.

My question was more like is there anywhere similarly as nice for a bit less but there doesn’t appear to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Pery's Hotel, formerly the Glentworth, might be worth a look. 3***,central location, restaurant and bar, good reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

chicorytip wrote: »
    Pery's Hotel, formerly the Glentworth, might be worth a look. 3***,central location, restaurant and bar, good reviews.

Currently closed and it's a kip

Advertisement