Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best hybrid

Options
  • 12-09-2020 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

I’m looking to get a hybrid bike. Current bike isn’t fit for purpose. Do roughly 3 cycles a week up to 50km each spin.

Been looking at Trek fx series.
    Cube road sl

Anyone using a hybrid and what make? Lots of choice and looking for peoples thoughts. Budget isn’t really a decider, more fit and form.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are your cycles purely for leisure? if so, you could look for something other than a hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Cycling for fitness. Had hip surgery and took up cycling as a means of exercise. Didn’t realise I’d enjoy it as much.

Don’t really want drop bars, happy with the flat bars.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Bull76 wrote: »
    Cycling for fitness. Had hip surgery and took up cycling as a means of exercise. Didn’t realise I’d enjoy it as much.

Don’t really want drop bars, happy with the flat bars.

Have you considered a mountain bike?
    Modern MTBs are really great.
    I recently went the mountain bike route after a return to cycling after a long break with knee issues.
    Yes it's slower than my road bike days but id argue it's a lot more fun.
    I can literally take the MTB anywhere and I do, canal banks,gravel,forest trails,road etc.
    Also I feel my fitness is coming on quicker than when on the road bike.
    A MTB will give you s great workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Bull76 wrote: »
    Cube road sl.

I have one of the higher end models from this series from a couple of years ago, Cube SL Road Race.

I absolutely love it. It’s a very versatile bike with decent components: 105 group set, hydraulic disc brakes, 35 mm tyres, plenty of mounts for mudguards/pannier rack/bottle cages. Almost two years without a puncture on those tyres. I’m faster than 90% of the cyclists I meet out, though the guys on good dedicated road bikes are faster. I use it as a commuter (my commute is short, 15km round trip), an about town bike, carrying the shopping, and I’m starting to go on longer rides now about the length you’re describing.

The one thing I’m wishing is that it had drop bars. I find my fingers start going numb on any ride over about 15km, and I’ve to start shaking out my hands. And when I took it down the Royal Canal gravel sections between Dublin and Maynooth, I was a little worried about punctures, though that may have been in my head. For this reason, I’m starting to look at gravel bikes, to keep all the versatility of my hybrid and then some, plus drop bars.

But I can’t fault the Cube for what it is.

You could always go for some bar ends to give you options for hand positions on longer spins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Trek FX are a good bike. Light and fast with good comfort.
    I had one and loved it. Sold it for an Xbox and regretted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Thanks for the replies.
    I added different grips to the handle bars for hand placement. Made a huge improvement on any numbness. My current hybrid has front suspension which I don’t need or use. It’s a lovely bike, Marin San Rafael DS3.
    Not looking to race anyone just improve overall fitness. I’ve been enjoying the cycling and distance has increased.

Just the bike isn’t designed to do the distance repeatedly. Want something more fit for purpose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

trek or giant or any of those are usually as good as you'll get, bang for buck, because they are sold in such volumes.
    however, getting the sizing right is much more important than the marginal differences between the brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭billyhead

I have ordered a 2021 Giant Escape from my local bike shop. There decent bikes and come with disc breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

billyhead wrote: »
    I have ordered a 2021 Giant Escape from my local bike shop. There decent bikes and come with disc breaks.

I was admiring my flatmates new one last night and was very impressed with it, very fast and utterly silent on a quick spin down to the shops and back, it was actually weird going that fast sitting up straight and the silence was distracting, in a good way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement