Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple iMac or MacBook now or wait

Options
  • 12-09-2020 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

We were just deciding whether we buy an iMac or a MacBook and now read that Apple are going to change the processor at the end of the year.
    Not sure how true it is but it seems that Apple will only support the old processor for around five years and newer Apps may not be written for the current processor.
    The new one will not be able to use Google software, I currently use chrome to chat to my kids on Facebook messenger.

As you can probably tell, not too tech savvie, my wife wants this computer mainly for photo and video editing, as well as an interior design course.

Is the MacBook as good as the iMac ?
    Would you wait or buy now ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

We were just deciding whether we buy an iMac or a MacBook and now read that Apple are going to change the processor at the end of the year.
    Not sure how true it is but it seems that Apple will only support the old processor for around five years and newer Apps may not be written for the current processor.
    The new one will not be able to use Google software, I currently use chrome to chat to my kids on Facebook messenger.

As you can probably tell, not too tech savvie, my wife wants this computer mainly for photo and video editing, as well as an interior design course.

Is the MacBook as good as the iMac ?
    Would you wait or buy now ?

Thanks
    Long time mac user, macbook pro most of the time but had an imac, both decent, however over the years the quality vs cost is now questionable in my opinion. Wouldn't but a macbook myself though either, macbook pro is way better. Maybe check out the Dell's xps range too

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Where did you read that it won’t use google software?

Majority of Google’s software is on the web and will be accessible through any browser like safari on Mac. Google chrome will definitely be updated, but I’d suggest to move to safari anyways. It’s much more energy efficient (important if you’re buying a laptop) and doesn’t kick the fans up as much.

New Mac’s with Apple silicon chips will require software providers to recompile their apps for these new chips. It will take some time but they’ve all known it since June and have had the tools to compile against these new chips since July.

My personal advice on these things is but when you need to buy that’s the right time, there will always be something new around the corner.

If you can wait, wait. All the major software providers will have Apple silicon ready software come launch and if not 1-2 months afterwards. A Mac is more than capable for most things out of the box anyways.

Adobe (photo editing) has pledged to have their apps ready for launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Where did you read that it won’t use google software?.

Sorry, I might have got the wording wrong ... https://www.google.fr/amp/s/www.pcmag.com/news/arm-based-macs-wont-support-boot-camp-apple-confirms%3famp=true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Apple is. Doing it's new computers 15th sept
    So old stock prices should drop

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

You have it wrong.
    • Traditionally Apple developed their own processors, which meant that they could only run the Apple operating system.
    • However in 2006, Apple started creating machines that used Intel processors, the same processor type used in Windows computers. Because of this, Apple computers could run Apple OS, and could also run Windows, as windows was designed to run on these processors.
    • The next generation of Macs will start using their own custom designed processors again, which means that Windows will not run on them anymore.

This makes no difference to most users. Most people buy and use a Mac and never have the need to run Windows on it.

For those that do, there are other approaches they can take. The main one being a virtual machine such as parallels or VMware being the most popular - a program on your Mac that allows you to run Windows inside it. The only reason I use it personally is when testing software on different operating systems, or if I have an old piece of very specific Windows software that nobody made a Mac version of.

• Advertisement

Thanks Mike, that makes more sense. We are clueless !!
    We have spoken, looked on youtube etc and actually have completely changed our minds.
    Now I think we are going to get a new iPad Pro along with the keyboard (not sure if we will go with the apple one) and pen.
    My wife edits video on iMovie and wanted something bigger/better than her current iPhone 8.
    I have an old 2010 MacBook Air and have an iPhone 7.

We think the iPad pro will give her what she needs and I am getting a new iPhone in a few months, either the 11 proMax or the new 12 and in a a year or two we can also buy a computer (Macbook or iMac)

Is there any obvious mistake in this thinking ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

MacRumors have a buyer's guide that they keep up to date based on product cycles and news: https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

iPad Pros seem to be ok to buy at the moment.

Great, the only concern is that it is not 5g compatible ?

Advertisement