Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My son wants to go the apprenticeship route

• 12-09-2020 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

And I definitely think it's the best thing for him. He didn't get his first choice yesterday and isn't hopeful for the next round. However, he has been considering an apprenticeship for quite a while. Particularly, electric/engineering route. He has applied to Irish Rail, they advertised recently but he hasn't heard back either way. Not sure if this is good or bad news !

Does he need to apply to Solas? Anyone else's teenager going the apprenticeship route ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

I dont have kids old enough sitting leaving cert. But its the route i took and ill never regret it. Getting paid to train but also learning life lessons along the way. I served my time in a semi state company and am still employed there to this day. Permanent position with good pension entitlements. Ok im never going to be a millionaire but its enough to buy a house, decent car, rare kids etc in the city. Any amount of opportunities to further my education at night time if i wished. I have friends who went to 3rd level education earning no more than i do.Not everyone is cut out for college. straight after leaving school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Thanks dekboy. He's applied to a few places so fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 Pboru22

Hi Op,

I look after apprentice training for a private company but in joinery/carpentry field, no he doesn’t need to apply to solas yet

He needs to be employed by an electrician who is registered with solas first, then the employer registers the employee and your son will need to send some documents too but nothing major.

He should look up electricians based in his area and make contact, with the recent grant im sure employers are keen to take on new apprentices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

This site might be useful - there are lot more choices now for apprenticeships in terms of job areas.

http://www.apprenticeship.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

to apply for those jobs in government agency yo have to know someone.he would be better going to university construction jobs are minimum. wage and at 50 he will be burnt out
    there are a lot of construction jobs now but in 5 years not so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It's a good choice

Machine breaks down and you have the customer by the balls

They will pay anything to get things moving again

Your kid will make much more than many of those higher up on the CAO list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    to apply for those jobs in government agency yo have to know someone.he would be better going to university construction jobs are minimum. wage and at 50 he will be burnt out
    there are a lot of construction jobs now but in 5 years not so much

Yeah the world is defo going to stop building things in 5 years.

Absolute nonsense.

Op a trade is a great career choice, opens all sorts of doors and for travelling too and unlike the ill informed opinion above, the electrical trade isn't just based on construction.

He'll be making a very good career move if he goes for it and getting paid as he trains, best of both worlds. Best of luck to him.

https://www.apprenticeshipjobs.ie/#/home/index/&/pg/1/ln/10/sdir/asc/scol/7

will point out some opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

Try getting a plumber, electrician or carpenter these days...impossible!

I've spoken to a selection of all 3 recently + a few others. They are barraged with calls from people who need work done.

A qualified tradesperson can travel the world and make a living.

Additionally, there are very good apprenticeships in e.g. Instrumentation and other fields in the Pharma area...well worth looking at.

http://www.apprenticeship.ie/en/apprentice/Pages/ApprenticeInfo.aspx

From briefly reading the OP's post, I'd recommend looking at the Electrical and Engineering options.

Hope it goes well for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭pockets3d

Solid way to go. Look into ESB apprenticeships. Can go into either electrician or engineering side. If he does it straight from school he'll be qualified and filled the requisite couple of years service with them age 23/24 just in time to go with all hes mates who went to college to OZ/ Canada looking for adventure/ their first job but hell be fully qualified and on great money (and been getting paid the last 6/7 years) . Then if he comes back can go back to ESB state job or general electrician or start out on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Plumbers are the dogs blx as are sparkys. Essential tradespeople when things go wrong.

Carpentry and blocklaying can wait, with no disrespect meant either.

I really wish the Gov would encourage trades and apprenticeships. The problem is that it it peer pressure, all your mates are going to college and you are going a different route. Who has the last laugh though?

We definitely need more qualified trades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Plumbers are the dogs blx as are sparkys. Essential tradespeople when things go wrong.

Carpentry and blocklaying can wait, with no disrespect meant either.

I really wish the Gov would encourage trades and apprenticeships. The problem is that it it peer pressure, all your mates are going to college and you are going a different route. Who has the last laugh though?

We definitely need more qualified trades.

Absolutel. In many counties, apprenticeships are actually encouraged rather than 3rd level

Advertisement